Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
I thought Spoons came back to earth a bit last night against the Sens. He got pinned in his own zone a few times in the first and he got exposed defensively in a couple of 1on1 coverages.

Normal stuff for a kid playing in just his third NHL game, but it bears watching, and I'm sure it will have an impact on whether he stays or goes (back to Prov).

Some of it had to do with his line mates I think.. but some of it definitely had to do with him. For example, It wasn't Pandolfo that made Spooner over commit on the puck carrier at the point which led to a solid scoring opportunity from the Sens.

I really hope we get to see him settle in with two defensive/responsible line mates in Paille and Peverley tomorrow. Wouldn't the Bruins have sent him back down to Providence by now if they weren't planning on playing him tomorrow? The day isn't over yet obviously.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I thought Spoons came back to earth a bit last night against the Sens. He got pinned in his own zone a few times in the first and he got exposed defensively in a couple of 1on1 coverages.

Normal stuff for a kid playing in just his third NHL game, but it bears watching, and I'm sure it will have an impact on whether he stays or goes (back to Prov).

He barely played last night, and when he did it was with to sub-par line mates. He's is honestly better off not playing then being judged on what he does playing with Caron and Pandolfo with extremely limited ice-time. He made 1 or 2 bad plays last night other than that he looked fine taking into account who he is playing with.

For some ****ing reason Clode threw them out there with 50 seconds left in the period for a defensive zone face-off. After that awful shift by everyone on the ice except for Khudobin, you barely saw that line. Not a good way to develop your young talent.

Last edited:

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't see the point of having these talented offensive players if they're all going to be pigeon-holed into "the system".

Spooner's style of play isn't going to fit in here.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I don't see the point of having these talented offensive players if they're all going to be pigeon-holed into "the system".

I disagree. Spoons played a really good game with Lucic & Horton. Play with with offensive-minded wingers and he will excel. Play him Pandolfo and he'll get demoted.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Claude won't trust him. He'll be in the doghouse and have no confidence.

The team can't score....so Claude gives Spooner 7 minutes of ice time.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

God forbid we have a skilled forward that thinks offense first. Ship him out for his own sake.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I disagree. Spoons played a really good game with Lucic & Horton. Play with with offensive-minded wingers and he will excel. Play him Pandolfo and he'll get demoted.

He is a top 6 forward. He is a Krejci (with far better wheels). His future with the B's will be in the top 6 IMO. I agree with the fitting a square peg in a round hole on the third line.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
remember a few years back didnt Cam get kind of irked at Claude playing these security blanket guys? Claude won a Cup and lived to coach another day, but this is exactly what the Bruins management has to be concerned about- Spooner attacks and thinks offense, Claude can say all he wants but he is a surround the wagons type of coach

Seguin just had to much talent and hype for Claude to do anything about; but Spooner is another story

I'm thinking Claude is going to lose this one

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
He is a top 6 forward. He is a Krejci (with far better wheels). His future with the B's will be in the top 6 IMO. I agree with the fitting a square peg in a round hole on the third line.

Top 9 is fine, The Bruins forwards were at their best in '08-'09 when they rolled a healthy Savard-Bergeron-Krejci. Top 6/Bottom 6 doesn't work without transcendent offensive players up front.

This situation is bizarre. Spooner isn't worse than Pandolfo is right now, at least he brings the upside of getting rid of his NHL bumps and bruises before we have to depend on him. Pandolfo brings zero upside, he sucks, he's not going to get better. He's taking up space. And that's not a good thing.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
remember a few years back didnt Cam get kind of irked at Claude playing these security blanket guys? Claude won a Cup and lived to coach another day, but this is exactly what the Bruins management has to be concerned about- Spooner attacks and thinks offense, Claude can say all he wants but he is a surround the wagons type of coach

Seguin just had to much talent and hype for Claude to do anything about; but Spooner is another story

I'm thinking Claude is going to lose this one

My nephew and I talk about this pretty often ....specially the Neely comments ... I far from hate cloode but think we have more offence to give and just something about his system holds them back ..

let the reins off once an awhile Claude your putting are team too sleep now !!!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Top 9 is fine, The Bruins forwards were at their best in '08-'09 when they rolled a healthy Savard-Bergeron-Krejci. Top 6/Bottom 6 doesn't work without transcendent offensive players up front.

This situation is bizarre. Spooner isn't worse than Pandolfo is right now, at least he brings the upside of getting rid of his NHL bumps and bruises before we have to depend on him. Pandolfo brings zero upside, he sucks, he's not going to get better. He's taking up space. And that's not a good thing.

Plus Pandolfo has zero future here... Put the young guys in and sink or swim with them... they will not add any less then Jay does...

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
How Spooner would look on Krejci line? Can he play on the wing?
For sure he's a work in progress, but Krejci could help him play to his strenght ans if his IQ is good enough, no way he's not succesfull with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad