Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If he has another game like that... he's got it in the bag.
If by some miracle we got the Yeti, too. It could be the true turn around for the third line.

And Caron is immediately used as part of a chip to secure another D-man IMO with the arrival of Soderberg, I say that with a heavy heart, I`m an unabashed Caron guy

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Caron was good last night.

Spooner was also very good. Looked impressive. Claude gave him 15 minutes, so he must've thought so too

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
I completely agree that caron was great last night, up until that last penalty.... really crappy situation for caron.. he got left out on the shift then had to chase the attacker with no juice left in his legs.. it certainly wasnt laziness. i think he was just out of gas.. pandolfo is done.. how many 2 on 3's did he completely botch.. i thought the third line was one of the best lines in the first period.. however, i almost get the feeling that pevs is trying to do too much and hanging onto the puck for too long.. lack of trust? as far as spooner goes. .kid looked good, very quick first step.. actually thought looch and horty played a relatively bad game.. ive never seen so many bruins with pucks getting lost in their feet, happened to looch a bunch tonight and ended up wasting the initial rush into the zone.. winnipeg was flying all night long.. a lot of people are saying the bruins lost this game. but in all honesty i think winnipeg deserved to win that game. those guys were all over the place.. i hope one of chiarellis small pieces he adds is a guy that fires other people up to bury teams in the ground.. because of right now , you dont really see the killer instinct that id like to see

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
No one can describe detailed plays like you, playmaker.
You are the very best HFB as to offer.
It is a treat to read your posts.

Thank you bro.

:) Thanks bud!

Great assesment. Won`t happen, but I`d like to see a release of Pandalfo, shift Spoons onto that 3rd line (until I saw him willing to play with some grit, I didn`t think he would fit on a 3rd line but..) when DK returns, you`d then have both Pevs/Spooner with great speed and puck skill and Caron to muck

He is a must for the third line center slot now with Kelly out...If he gets sent back, I will be livid.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how he fits with Peverley on that 3rd line. They're both fast and creative but they also both want to be the guy with the puck on their stick. Let's hope they give him an audition there when Krejci returns.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
When Krejci returns they should try:

Marchand Bergeron Seguin

Lucic Krejci Horton (?)

Paille Spooner Peverley

Caron Campbell Thornton

Still would like an upgrade over Horton on the Krejci line. That line only has one real skilled guy. Take away Krejci's space and that line does not have much options left.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Marchand Bergeron Seguin

Lucic Krejci Horton (?)

Paille Spooner Peverley

Caron Campbell Thornton

Still would like an upgrade over Horton on the Krejci line. That line only has one real skilled guy.

You can put the most skilled player on that line, problem is with them, and most of this lineup, NOBODY moves their feet in the neutral zone. Rarely is there an attack with a forward coming at the opponent top speed with his linemates doing the same, watch the Bergy line in the neutral zone, THAT, is how you attack an opponent

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
You can put the most skilled player on that line, problem is with them, and most of this lineup, NOBODY moves their feet in the neutral zone. Rarely is there an attack with a forward coming at the opponent top speed with his linemates doing the same, watch the Bergy line in the neutral zone, THAT, is how you attack an opponent

But look at the speed and skill Marchand & Seguin have in comparison to Lucic & Horton. Marchand is an awesome puck carrier who is quick & shifty and can create plays on a dime. Seguin obviously has skill & is a threat with his speed & shot.

Lucic & Horton lumber down their wings and are both limited when it comes to creativity with the puck. Lucic certainly adds an important physical element when he plays his game and I would definitely keep him with Krejci but if I could have two guys be able to create offence and get him the puck as opposed to just Krejci he would become more effective with his robust style.

It would take a lot of pressure off of Krejci to add another skilled puck possession guy to put the defence on their heals a bit. Lucic & Horton are just to predictable .

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He was pretty darn good.

First and foremost, he competed. He hounded guys with the puck and got his body into the battles. He was responsible in his own zone, supporting the D and covering the slot. He blocked a shot. He kept his shifts short and changed at the right times. He dumped it in when he was 1on2- and then used his speed to get to it first and force a turnover.

Offensively, he looked quick and creative. I think he had 3 shots, two off the rush from around the tops of the circles and one spinning wrister right in the slot. He made some nice passes and showed some craftiness down low with one of his open-hip misdirection moves.
He pushed defenders back with his skating on one rush, but didn't have the puck a ton on the PP. Seguin tried to slip 2 or 3 passes across the box to him on the back side of the play but they kept getting deflected before they reached him. He joined the Bergeron unit later in the game and had some nice exchanges with Spooner at the half wall and Marchand down low.

All in all, I'd say he exceeded any reasonable expectations for a kid playing in just his second NHL game.

Nice write up on Spooner.

He is not the problem.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
So Caron is a flop?? Me thinks you thinks this because of draft position and pro expectations. The guy is an exceptionally sound 3RD LINE PLAYER, at best, he`ll end up as a 2nd liner. On one shift alone last night, his work along the boards kept the puck in the Jets zone on 3 occasions, that`s 3 more occasions than I`d suggest Bourque was able to in all his games

If he were a 2nd round pick (and where the B`s picked he practically was) many here would barely mention him, he has the 1st round tag on him, and he`s a flop, sorry, thankfully, most GM`s don`t react this way

I often agree with you, not on this point and I`d argue, he may be part of a deal to acquire someone and NOT because he`s a flop, but because other teams see where he can add value to their lineup

Hopefully Caron can continue to build his trade value. I'm not hating on the guy, but if he can be used as an important trade chip to get an upgrade, I'd like to see it. The Bruins need an upgrade to their lineup. KLH line might need a tweak imo.

Spooner is looking good so far. Fingers crossed. Hopefully Soderberg comes over and we will see a rejuvenated team. Injuries have me kind of worried but reinforcements should be on the way.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
But look at the speed and skill Marchand & Seguin have in comparison to Lucic & Horton. Marchand is an awesome puck carrier who is quick & shifty and can create plays on a dime. Seguin obviously has skill & is a threat with his speed & shot.

Lucic & Horton lumber down their wings and are both limited when it comes to creativity with the puck. Lucic certainly adds an important physical element when he plays his game and I would definitely keep him with Krejci but if I could have two guys be able to create offence and get him the puck as opposed to just Krejci he would become more effective with his robust style.

It would take a lot of pressure off of Krejci to add another skilled puck possession guy to put the defence on their heals a bit. Lucic & Horton are just to predictable .

I can't disagree more. Horton Has had some highlight reel goals this year and has very good puck control and skates pretty good. Lucic on the other hand is bit more limited on his skating but still has good hands and vision. I would split up horton and Lucic they play a similar game. not that i think they are not good.

Does Lucic and Horton get the top d pairs from opposing teams or does Bergy's line?

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
People (myself included) point out Chiarelli's terrible drafting record, yet they are throwing Jordan Caron into every single trade proposal. Wouldn't you rather see him stay in Boston and develop into an NHL player? He certainly isn't a problem with this lineup right now. In fact, he's been a welcome addition. Just like Ryan Spooner.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Both Horty and Looch have NHL calibre speed when they move, problem is, they try to generate from a stand still first place. I`d like to see Julien have the boys start crossing a bit in the neutral zone to get that speed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
People (myself included) point out Chiarelli's terrible drafting record, yet they are throwing Jordan Caron into every single trade proposal. Wouldn't you rather see him stay in Boston and develop into an NHL player? He certainly isn't a problem with this lineup right now. In fact, he's been a welcome addition. Just like Ryan Spooner.

Agreed however, it`s about protecting those assets you think will be valuable moving forward, and using others that you believe you "could" replace down the line. Much easier to replace a Caron-like player than a kid like Spooner and I`ll wager there are plenty of teams out there who would more than welcome Caron for a 3rd line spot, heck, there`s some that would use him on a 2nd I`d wager.

I love his game, love it`s simplicity, and I could care less what or how he played in the AHL, he plays an exceptionally solid NHL game and I am thinking more than a few Pro scouts see it, and report it to their GM`s. I`d suggest Spooner would be higher on their list to ask for, but I also suspect no way Chia moves him, NOT for a pure rental anyways.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Marchand Bergeron Seguin

Lucic Krejci Horton (?)

Paille Spooner Peverley

Caron Campbell Thornton

Still would like an upgrade over Horton on the Krejci line. That line only has one real skilled guy. Take away Krejci's space and that line does not have much options left.

That third line might be the fastest in the league

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
he good. very good.

he exploded into the offensive zone on one PP rush which had me thinking i was on peyote cuz it's been years since i saw something like it. he almost generated the tying goal on a smart play behind the net, sealing the boards and stealing puck from pavelec. horton didn't bury it though.

got some PP time and made some quick reads, sharp passes. nhl skills, wheels and definitely IQ. still a little frail but he can get by for now.

what sucks is that BNHL and the stat nerds say spooner will never make an impact. really upsetting to hear that. hopes and dreams dashed by numbers on paper!

I think there were only a couple stat nerds in that other thread and I was one. I think he has potential to have a great career with 70Pt upside. Both his 17 year old junior season and his numbers in his age 20 AHL season put him on a similar path to players like Krejci and Marchand, not Hamill & Colborne.

The study I cited backs up my point because it compares ages better.
The other study has a couple of problems.
1. It is an average with lots of players that aren't in the same age or production as Spooner.
2. It underrates the conversion rate because of ice time factors when moving from lower to higher leagues.
3. Those conversion rates aren't the peak of a player. They are the rookie year of the player. His peak potential is much higher.

Also because prospects are so hard to project, the numbers that matter most are the most current numbers. He has already shown that he can transfer most of his offense from junior to the AHL. He should be able to do the same going from the AHL to the NHL.

I don't think he will light the world on fire this season with likely limited minutes and line combos if Krejci is healthy. I think he should be able to put up some points though and last night showed me that he can create chances. Next year and going forward he should be a good to very good NHL player based on stats and my limited viewings of him.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
Both Horty and Looch have NHL calibre speed when they move, problem is, they try to generate from a stand still first place. I`d like to see Julien have the boys start crossing a bit in the neutral zone to get that speed.

They may have NHL calibre speed when they get going north to south but neither has the quickness of Marchand or Seguin in traffic to be able to cut, change directions and create plays.

There is also a huge difference between being at top speed and being able to make decisions and create plays while at top speed. That is where Lucic & Horton struggle.

I just think they should be separated in an attempt to give that line more creativity & additional options as opposed to just cycling down low & the opposition taking away Krejci's space.

trudatman*

today's game's thread has Spoony Love back on the third line... is that from practice reports or just speculation? he was extremely impressive in that last game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think there were only a couple stat nerds in that other thread and I was one. I think he has potential to have a great career with 70Pt upside. Both his 17 year old junior season and his numbers in his age 20 AHL season put him on a similar path to players like Krejci and Marchand, not Hamill & Colborne.

The study I cited backs up my point because it compares ages better.
The other study has a couple of problems.
1. It is an average with lots of players that aren't in the same age or production as Spooner.
2. It underrates the conversion rate because of ice time factors when moving from lower to higher leagues.
3. Those conversion rates aren't the peak of a player. They are the rookie year of the player. His peak potential is much higher.

Also because prospects are so hard to project, the numbers that matter most are the most current numbers. He has already shown that he can transfer most of his offense from junior to the AHL. He should be able to do the same going from the AHL to the NHL.

I don't think he will light the world on fire this season with likely limited minutes and line combos if Krejci is healthy. I think he should be able to put up some points though and last night showed me that he can create chances. Next year and going forward he should be a good to very good NHL player based on stats and my limited viewings of him.

I really enjoy your posts- seek them out; as for Spooner making it or not- there is only one reason he wont and that is if he fails and its losing focus- but he has really outstanding support in place from his parents (Kirk an attest) and Don Sweeney and even Chiarelli (Chia may look like he's evaluating but he can dial it up and likes to stay involved); I'll be interested to see how Ryan looks next September- he seems to like going to the gym and as he matures and gets older and stronger look out. My take he needs to get stronger and continue to play all over the ice like the other night- I've noticed this year in Providence he has gone more into the dirty areas as the year progressed.

I have very good feeling about he and Knight (one of the best array of shots I have ever seen; absolutely sick how this kid shoots the puck, and Dom says his backhand is a joke its so good; he can bring it and all I can say is watch him in warmups) I saw Bobby Hull with the Black Hawks when he was in his prime and I'm not easily impressed

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
^ Agreed.

Even in the training camps I've seen him and Knight, they stand out. I hope hes 100% recovered now to show what he can do because he's fun to watch.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Krecji took the morning skate and will be a game time descion. I don't believe Spooner can dress for anyone but Krecji as he was recalled on an emergency basis for Krecji.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Do you guys think the Bruins were waiting to call up Spooner until Koko got to Pro to help make sure they make the play-offs?

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Do you guys think the Bruins were waiting to call up Spooner until Koko got to Pro to help make sure they make the play-offs?

I think the Bruins couldn't care less about the AHL post season, haha.

They called up Spooner because TWO of their top-6 centers went down with injuries. I don't think there is anything more to it than that.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I thought Spoons came back to earth a bit last night against the Sens. He got pinned in his own zone a few times in the first and he got exposed defensively in a couple of 1on1 coverages.

Normal stuff for a kid playing in just his third NHL game, but it bears watching, and I'm sure it will have an impact on whether he stays or goes (back to Prov).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad