Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
It seems like every year this board gets increasingly bipolar lol. Giving up on him, he's 21 years old FFS. Some people just don't understand how hard it is to play in the NHL, give him time to figure it out mentally and develop his body because that's how he will be an effective NHLer, with power.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
This year is very important for the kid. But even though he was not producing much in the AHL, by the end of the year (before the pause), he was playing a more consistent game. He just needs to find a way to contribute more offensively. He also missed the final week and a half to injury.

Josh Brook and Ryan Poehling were in the same boat last year. Both were underwhelming a lot of nights, struggling in putting together full-game performances, not contributing offensively as you would expect from these kinds of prospects. You would get glimpses of what they could offer, but it wasn't often enough.

But by the end of the year, both of them were put in more prominent spots (Brook on the top pair and Poehling at 2C behind Kotkaniemi) and their production was not there even in the end when the Rocket were making a real push for the playoffs, but you saw much more complete games from them.

Despite his stat line being disappointing, he was not a mess out there, either.

Last edited:

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
No they did not. This is what Joel Bouchard actually said: "C’est le temps de le laisser tranquille et me laisser le coacher...Le bruit de l’extérieur et quand je dis ça, je ne parle pas du Canadien, le Canadien le laisse tranquille. Je parle des journalistes et des partisans...C’est assez de bruit et maintenant, on travaille avec. Il a une bonne attitude, c’est un bon kid, il veut bien faire, il ne veut pas décevoir personne et là, on travaille ensemble avec Alex Burrows, moi, avec ses coéquipiers."

That was on November 25. You can hear everything Bouchard said about Poehling here:

No he did not. This is what Ryan Poehling actually said: "Umm, I mean honestly, this last hundred days I didn't really prepare, I shouldn't say prepare, it was just more of just a recollection of what happend, what I could do differently and that, I've been working since last July for this year, so I think for me I just kinda took some time off and kind of just got my head straight, and I think that's helped me out a lot."

That was in response to a reporter that asked him what had he improved most about his game. He didn't actually say that he he did not work out for that entire time, that's just a negative interpretation. Here is another interpretation that is perfectly consistent with what he said, and to my mind more likely. Athletes work out moderately in-season to maintain, and more intensely off-season to develop and improve. The question was about what he had improved. His response indicated that he had not yet switched to his intense off-season training regimen, i.e. he was still following his in-season training regimen, which for him is equivalent to taking time off in comparison to his usual off-season training regimen.

I guess you are referring to his political and religious leanings, which have absolutely nothing to do with him as a hockey player nor do they call his character or attitude into question. The very reason that this subject matter is banned here is that it is very much irrelevant on a hockey discussion board, and potentially divisive. So since we are not allowed to talk about it, let's not even bring it up.

Now we are getting to the root of the problem. My stance is that if someone has to resort to sensationalism or hyperbole to support a position, then their position has little merit. There are a lot of smart and knowledgeable people here, and I include you as one of them. I strongly believe that this would be a better and less divided place if everyone took the time and used their smarts and knowledge to form an opinion that is supported by the actual evidence, instead of supported by rumors, sensationalism, and hyperbole.

Thank you for taking the time to read my response.

Good post. Not saying you or wtk is right or wrong but i enjoy reading a good, respectful exchange between posters here and there thumbs-up

Reactions: FormerLurker

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Let him get Boucharded and then we'll talk. If Bouchard can't help him get to where he should be, then it'll be time for some other org. to try.

Unless there is something we don't know. I mean, he might just be immature and has a few lessons to learn.
... Definitely gotta love the word "boucharded" lmao, nicely done hahaha

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This year is very important for the kid. But even though he was not producing much in the AHL, by the end of the year (before the pause), he was playing a more consistent game. He just needs to find a way to contribute more offensively. He also missed the final week and a half to injury.

Josh Brook and Ryan Poehling were in the same boat last year. Both were underwhelming a lot of nights, struggling in putting together full-game performances, not contributing offensively as you would expect from these kinds of prospects. You would get glimpses of what they could offer, but it wasn't often enough.

But by the end of the year, both of them were put in more prominent spots (Brook on the top pair and Poehling at 2C behind Kotkaniemi) and their production was not there even in the end when the Rocket were making a real push for the playoffs, but you saw much more complete games from them.

Despite his stat line being disappointing, he was not a mess out there, either.

To be honest with you... I'm not worried about either of Brook or Poehling racking up the points. The other part you mentioned about intensity and play with the puck or without the puck is more important with pieces with this. If Poehling is out there in our top 9 one day skating around and causing havic by playing physical, he will free up space for his line-mates and he can win puck battles down low.

Points not as important as being tough hockey players to play against... with a Poehling type talent anyways. Drafted him as a 200' physical center but might end up a power forward winger. I'm not giving up on him or Brook but I agree... Big season for them next year. Both got their feet wet and they should be prepared to come into camp knowing what is expected

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's really a sin that Poehling couldn't handle being assigned to AHL with maturity and work hard, be committed off the outset.
It's another sin that Bergevin et al. couldn't have kept him down there when he started finding his offense.
Then if Poehling would have taken training seriously and made them insert him in the play-off line-up because of his improvements and maturity, we could be in a better spot.

As of right now.. Domi is looking to be on the outs.. Danault made comments that could put him on the trade block.. and if Poehling's first season and mini off-season would have gone to plan, we could be looking at promoting him from within.. but we know that's very unlikely since the body of work isn't good at all.

Pouting and not being dedicated can shoot yourself in the foot because you just never know how things can change.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's really a sin that Poehling couldn't handle being assigned to AHL with maturity and work hard, be committed off the outset.
It's another sin that Bergevin et al. couldn't have kept him down there when he started finding his offense.
Then if Poehling would have taken training seriously and made them insert him in the play-off line-up because of his improvements and maturity, we could be in a better spot.

As of right now.. Domi is looking to be on the outs.. Danault made comments that could put him on the trade block.. and if Poehling's first season and mini off-season would have gone to plan, we could be looking at promoting him from within.. but we know that's very unlikely since the body of work isn't good at all.

Pouting and not being dedicated can shoot yourself in the foot because you just never know how things can change.

Is there more to Poehling's lack of progress than just pouting? What about his personal discipline re training and keeping a playing weight?

Also, did any trustworthy source report that he has a gaming addiction? I don't recall seeing one.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is there more to Poehling's lack of progress than just pouting? What about his personal discipline re training and keeping a playing weight?

Also, did any trustworthy source report that he has a gaming addiction? I don't recall seeing one.

Well not working out at all during the pause is pretty damning and I would think that anyone with entitlement to a spot based on the nothing they did could have not trained that hard prior to last season.

No substantiated stuff on the gaming addiction which is why I wont echo that as being an issue.

Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
It seems like every year this board gets increasingly bipolar lol. Giving up on him, he's 21 years old FFS. Some people just don't understand how hard it is to play in the NHL, give him time to figure it out mentally and develop his body because that's how he will be an effective NHLer, with power.
I’m not giving up on him, I never believed in him in the first place. His skill set is very meh.

Jul 6, 2016
I’m not giving up on him, I never believed in him in the first place. His skill set is very meh.

One full season at AHL level under Bouchard should help him...If he really wants it.

Last edited by a moderator:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
One full season at AHL level under Bouchard should help him...If he really wants it. .

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

His skill is on the low end but his size and skating package is what we need. Poehling needs to find his niche and that takes time for a player like this. He might end up a Josh Anderson type? Habs need to play him on wing IMO.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
His skill is on the low end but his size and skating package is what we need. Poehling needs to find his niche and that takes time for a player like this. He might end up a Josh Anderson type? Habs need to play him on wing IMO.

Agree. If he can at least become a quality 3rd liner, that would be great. Not sure if it will happen but his response next year will be the key.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree. If he can at least become a quality 3rd liner, that would be great. Not sure if it will happen but his response next year will be the key.

Agreed. Both Poehling and Brook got their feet wet and can now train hard to get ready for their 2nd pro season. Poehling showing up to play in round camp out of shape (what I hear anyways) is not a good sign.

I think pieces like Poehling, our 16th pick, and Domi are in play in trade conversations. Hope Bergevin sets aside frustration with Poehling and Domi and sticks to his guns on their potential if he uses them in trades.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Poehling showing up to play in round camp out of shape (what I hear anyways) is not a good sign.
Yeah, this is a definite concern. It sounds like its the only reason he wasnt dressed for at least one game (Actually surprised he made it onto the black aces - if we hadnt traded away guys like Thompson at the deadline, he almost certainly wouldnt have).

How Poehling bounces back after that is going to be huge. Does he come to camp in the best shape of his life, or does he just coast along doing the minimum? We shall see.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, this is a definite concern. It sounds like its the only reason he wasnt dressed for at least one game (Actually surprised he made it onto the black aces - if we hadnt traded away guys like Thompson at the deadline, he almost certainly wouldnt have).

How Poehling bounces back after that is going to be huge. Does he come to camp in the best shape of his life, or does he just coast along doing the minimum? We shall see.

I have faith he is more prepared for the next season. Problem is this kind of player needs to play wing and with a skilled center. Who's the skilled center in Laval next year? Hillis? Could work

Jul 6, 2016
I have faith he is more prepared for the next season. Problem is this kind of player needs to play wing and with a skilled center. Who's the skilled center in Laval next year? Hillis? Could work

Dauphin is a very good AHL level centerman... Not much else.

Maybe the kid doesn't feel comfortable at all playing in Canada. I am sure most of his team mates are teasing him with his Trump's support. Maybe the kid is doing what he thinks might lead to a trade to a USA based team.

McDonagh and Kristo, two other College boys, were not too hot at the idea of playing in Canada either.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Ryan Poehling reminds me a bit of Chad Kilger.
God this is the most depressing comment ever .. I will provide another example for younger guys .. Lars Eller!

Hall the tools, size, etc .. but somewhat can't put it all together. I think its a bit early in Peohling's case though for that comparison.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I am hoping that Poehling comes back with a good attitude, plays few weeks in the AHL and is called up. I would like to see him on a third line with Danault and Gallagher. I think his speed ans size could contribute a lot to that line...

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I am hoping that Poehling comes back with a good attitude, plays few weeks in the AHL and is called up. I would like to see him on a third line with Danault and Gallagher. I think his speed ans size could contribute a lot to that line...

Dude should not see NHL ice until there's no way we can keep him down. A few AHL weeks isn't gonna change enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad