Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’ve been saying for awhile now that I think Poehling May be our best prospect. He’s not the most talented but he’s the most complete and has the most realizable potential of the group. Suzuki, Brook etc. May turn out to be better but it would take a lot more development and time for them to pass Poehling IMO. He already plays like a man and his transition to the NHL should be the easiest.

Also, just as a slight aside but I LOVE how he goes hard at the net all the time. Not afraid to get to the crease and create havoc. That and he’s definitely got soft mits and a fast skater. Seriously, not much to not like about his game.

We’ll see of course but from what I see of all of them right now, he’s going to be a solid NHLer for a long time. Just hope it’s with the Habs!

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The St-Cloud's website had the two goals attributed to Nick Poehling, 2 assists attributed to Ryan Poehling and another assist attributed to Jack Poehling, not two goals and two assists attributed to Ryan Poehling.

Whats real?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I’ve been saying for awhile now that I think Poehling May be our best prospect. He’s not the most talented but he’s the most complete and has the most realizable potential of the group. Suzuki, Brook etc. May turn out to be better but it would take a lot more development and time for them to pass Poehling IMO. He already plays like a man and his transition to the NHL should be the easiest.

Also, just as a slight aside but I LOVE how he goes hard at the net all the time. Not afraid to get to the crease and create havoc. That and he’s definitely got soft mits and a fast skater. Seriously, not much to not like about his game.

We’ll see of course but from what I see of all of them right now, he’s going to be a solid NHLer for a long time. Just hope it’s with the Habs!

Yeah, that breakaway goal, that really didn't look like it was going to be a breakaway until he sped up, sure puts to rest anyone's doubts that he isn't a quick skater. But, seriously, the St-Cloud's website sucks.

Reactions: dralaf

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, that breakaway goal, that really didn't look like it was going to be a breakaway until he sped up, sure puts to rest anyone's doubts that he isn't a quick skater. But, seriously, the St-Cloud's website sucks.

Even at the WJHC he was flying around and blowing past defenders all tournament.

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Even at the WJHC he was flying around and blowing past defenders all tournament.

I never put his speed in doubt, myself. I was just pointing out that breakaway goal as a fine example that he does have speed, unless he plays in a tortoise league ;)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I would tell Ryan to start talking to professionals about highly protective hockey gear right now because he could surely be part of the solution on the PP in the future by standing in front of opposing Gs as Weber tees off. Of course, having Weber's own shot take him out of action would not be a good thing ;)

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Hopefully Poehling can go on a bit of a tear before the end of the season. I'd like to see him finish with a 1.2 PPG average. He clearly has the talent to do it, just needs a bit more consistency but that will come with age.

Reactions: HOPE and DAChampion

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
On pure statistics there was a 20%-25% chance of Poehling being a top 6 player given where we drafted him.

So odds wise, not that great. But at the same time we have wiffed so many times in the later 1st that we should connect at some point.

Anyway, we now have moved on from pure stats to how this particular guy is doing, and he seems to be developing well.

But ultimately he is still just part of a pool of players from which we hope a guy or two emerges as a top 6. So from Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and the 15 other C prospects we have, if 1 is a 1C and another is a 2C, then that is fantastic. With Domi maybe we then have 3 top 6Cs, or maybe just one guy emerges and with Domi we have 2 top 6Cs, and we are happy.

So for me its only the franchise or generational talents that you bank on being at the top of his position, the rest are all darts, some better and some worse, but darts all the same. Poehling is a dart, hope it works out. Next year is going to be exciting for prospects.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would tell Ryan to start talking to professionals about highly protective hockey gear right now because he could surely be part of the solution on the PP in the future by standing in front of opposing Gs as Weber tees off. Of course, having Weber's own shot take him out of action would not be a good thing ;)

I know. Just reinforcing your post that he’s a fast skater.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The St-Cloud's website had the two goals attributed to Nick Poehling, 2 assists attributed to Ryan Poehling and another assist attributed to Jack Poehling, not two goals and two assists attributed to Ryan Poehling.

Whats real?

Google.com/amp/s/amp.sctimes.com/amp/2737922002

4pt night apparently. The video posted seems to confirm it as well.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
On pure statistics there was a 20%-25% chance of Poehling being a top 6 player given where we drafted him.

So odds wise, not that great. But at the same time we have wiffed so many times in the later 1st that we should connect at some point.

Anyway, we now have moved on from pure stats to how this particular guy is doing, and he seems to be developing well.

But ultimately he is still just part of a pool of players from which we hope a guy or two emerges as a top 6. So from Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and the 15 other C prospects we have, if 1 is a 1C and another is a 2C, then that is fantastic. With Domi maybe we then have 3 top 6Cs, or maybe just one guy emerges and with Domi we have 2 top 6Cs, and we are happy.

So for me its only the franchise or generational talents that you bank on being at the top of his position, the rest are all darts, some better and some worse, but darts all the same. Poehling is a dart, hope it works out. Next year is going to be exciting for prospects.

Is it even that high? Where are you pulling that stat from. I think that 20% is just the odds of a player picked that late in the first round even making the NHL for a minimum amount of games, not of being an effective top-6 player.

I could be wrong, but I'd like somebody who has a link to those stats to dredge them up again.

So from Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and the 15 other C prospects we have, if 1 is a 1C and another is a 2C, then that is fantastic

Fantastic, you say!? It would be a serious master stroke for Timmins and company to have selected a 2nd line C and a 1st line C in successive drafts! Even more so for the scouting department and the GM if they ended up trading for a 2nd line C in Suzuki (but I see more of a RW future at the NHL level for Nick).

It's unlikely that we actually did select both a first and 2nd line C over two drafts, but the main hope, I feel, is that, at least, Kotkaniemi does pan out, as suggested by Bowman, as a genuine 1st line C. As much as I'd like Domi as a LW, I think he fills in admirably well in a 2nd line C role down the line, mainly because it seems to have him more involved in the game. His dedication to the defensive missions at C and his overall awareness in that department (along with his speed for an effective back check) also enable him to play big minutes against opponents' better players. A C that can play those minutes, effectively shut down opponents and score at a .75-.85 PPG pace is a legitimate top-6 C, a good 2nd line C if not a top line C.

So, if Poehling becomes a stalwart third line C that can eat up precious shut down minutes and still contribute offensively, and Kotkaniemi becomes a genuine 1st line C, we still have a luxury of depth at C with Danault in the picture as potential trade bait down the line, or as a rather expensive, but valuable, 4th line C on a playoff run.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Google.com/amp/s/amp.sctimes.com/amp/2737922002

4pt night apparently. The video posted seems to confirm it as well.

Saw the video that confirmed it on Twitter, but the sit, FFS, is all f***ed in terms of what it posted in the box score.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Is it even that high? Where are you pulling that stat from. I think that 20% is just the odds of a player picked that late in the first round even making the NHL for a minimum amount of games, not of being an effective top-6 player.

I could be wrong, but I'd like somebody who has a link to those stats to dredge them up again.

From 1995 to 2014, the 20 guys drafted at #25 have produced:
  • 1 first line forward (D. Pastrnak)
  • 2 second line forwards (B. Morrow, P. Berglund)
  • 1 Starting Goaltender (C. Ward)
So that's 20% of the draft picks "panning out well"

The other 16 draftees:
  • 2 third line forwards
  • 1 third pair defenceman
  • 4 fourth line forwards (Perezhogin had some talent)
  • 1 Backup Goalie
  • 8 busts (including McCarron)

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
From 1995 to 2014, the 20 guys drafted at #25 have produced:
  • 1 first line forward (D. Pastrnak)
  • 2 second line forwards (B. Morrow, P. Berglund)
  • 1 Starting Goaltender (C. Ward)
So that's 20% of the draft picks "panning out well"

The other 16 draftees:
  • 2 third line forwards
  • 1 third pair defenceman
  • 4 fourth line forwards (Perezhogin had some talent)
  • 1 Backup Goalie
  • 8 busts (including McCarron)

From here it uses 1990-2013 and has 8.3% chance, though considering the picks past it are 25%, 16.7%, 20.8% then around 20% is probably around right

https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-nhl-draft-pick-value-1.786131

Reactions: larrypacman8167
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad