Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Starting this one over, stay on topic.

here's an article on his team,

Top-ranked St. Cloud State picking up momentum, sticking together with team-first approach

The Poehling brothers played together on a line all weekend, and really helped the team with scoring. Jack had two goals and three assists on the weekend, Nick had a goal and an assist, and Ryan had two assists.
“That line, obviously we played all the brothers together,” said Larson. “And you know what? They were good on the score sheet, but they were also good just with their energy level and work ethic, playing the game the right way. I really thought that line set the tone for our weekend for kind of how our whole team followed.”

here's their remaining schedule, they have a big lead in the NCHC so a few more wins and they will lock up the regular season title.
https://www.uscho.com/scoreboard/st-cloud-state/mens-hockey/2018-2019/

The games this weekend at North Dakota will be tough, I know I'll be watching Friday night. But then at home vs Miami and CC should be easier games, even on the road vs UNO as they aren't as strong this year. The last 4 games of the regular season will be tough, at Western Michigan but the UMD games will be very tough since they are the national champs from last year.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
CJ will love Poehling for sure. We could be looking at Poehling, Evans, McCarron, Chaput all fighting for that 4th line center spot at camp in the fall.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Any chance either of the Poehling brothers is good enough to play in the NHL? Like Jordie is to Jamie.

Might be able to help Ryan transition into the NHL on a 4th line or the AHL to start his career and get him out of St. Cloud.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
CJ will love Poehling for sure. We could be looking at Poehling, Evans, McCarron, Chaput all fighting for that 4th line center spot at camp in the fall.

it would suck for him to play him on the 4th line i would much rather have him play a big role in Laval with suzuki. We have enough depth to have winger with decent skills on the 3rd line, wich would be ideal for him to start... having him on the 4th line with grinders would be a waste.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any chance either of the Poehling brothers is good enough to play in the NHL? Like Jordie is to Jamie.

Might be able to help Ryan transition into the NHL on a 4th line or the AHL to start his career and get him out of St. Cloud.

no chance imo, his brothers aren't even good in the NCAA, they look more like possible ECHLers. They work hard but just don't have much skill at all.

it would suck for him to play him on the 4th line i would much rather have him play a big role in Laval with suzuki. We have enough depth to have winger with decent skills on the 3rd line, wich would be ideal for him to start... having him on the 4th line with grinders would be a waste.

I am usually always against rushing prospects but I could easily see the Habs liking him enough to keep him on the 4th line next year. He has the physical tools, size, strength, speed, skating, he's got a solid two way game. He's likely going to start out on the 4th line at some point.

If the Habs are looking to be better next year, they need a better 4th line, one that actually produces some offense so Chaput, DLO would need to go imo. If you had say Agostino or Hudon, Peca, Poehling, McCarron, it might work, we'll have to see if he's signed and then how he looks at camp.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
no chance imo, his brothers aren't even good in the NCAA, they look more like possible ECHLers. They work hard but just don't have much skill at all.

I am usually always against rushing prospects but I could easily see the Habs liking him enough to keep him on the 4th line next year. He has the physical tools, size, strength, speed, skating, he's got a solid two way game. He's likely going to start out on the 4th line at some point.

If the Habs are looking to be better next year, they need a better 4th line, one that actually produces some offense so Chaput, DLO would need to go imo. If you had say Agostino or Hudon, Peca, Poehling, McCarron, it might work, we'll have to see if he's signed and then how he looks at camp.

If Poehling doesn't play NHL next year, he'll likely stay one last year at St-Cloud's with his brothers. The risk with that is that he becomes an UFA after that and doesn't sign with MON.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Poehling doesn't play NHL next year, he'll likely stay one last year at St-Cloud's with his brothers. The risk with that is that he becomes an UFA after that and doesn't sign with MON.

I don't think he has to play in the NHL next year, my guess is that if his team wins a national championship he'll sign with the Habs and if they don't then we'll have to see if he wants to go back for his Senior year as his team will lose many of their top players so even then I would think he'll turn pro unless he feels he's not ready.

But any draft pick can refuse to sign with their team, I'm not worried at all about Poehling not signing.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

oh no doubt to me that he can play right now on the 4th line, but he still has alot of untapped offensive potential and the fact that he's never played more than 36 games, worries me a bit... Honestly like i said a couple of times before, i could care less of this and next season, i would be more than happy to tank both of them, but it doesn't work that way! I'd rather have him play BIG quality minutes with bouchard as his coach on a line with Suzuki, this way they can create chemistry and hopefully graduate both together on the third line with a vet like lehkonen on the left side! With Poehlings ability to make cross ice pass to the right circle and work deep down, i feel like him and Suz could be a crazy fit!

Last edited:
Reactions: TatTar

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
oh no doubt to me that he can play right now on the 4th line, but he still has alot of untapped offensive potential and the fact that he's never played more than 36 games, worries me a bit... Honestly like i said a couple of times before, i could care less of this and next season, i would be more than happy to tank both of them, but it doesn't work that way! I'd rather have him play BIG quality minutes with bouchard as his coach on a line with Suzuki, this way they can create chemistry and hopefully graduate both together on the third line with a vet like lehkonen on the left side! With Poehlings ability to make cross ice pass to the right circle and work deep down, i feel like him and Suz could be a crazy fit!

doesn't matter what we want though, it's what MB does that matters. I've become a big fan of Bouchard so far so would be all for him and Suzuki and Brook all getting time in Laval next year as I hope they play a full season but MB will want to win next year and we know that 4th line center spot is going to be open as they don't see to fully trust Peca and Chaput is not the answer imo.

Now I'd be happy with Chaput if it meant Poehling got a full year in Laval but I could see the Habs going with Poehling as CJ will love him.

Not sure if he has a lot of untapped offensive potential, he's a playmaker so as long as he's with guys that can put the puck in the net he'll do fine. I wouldn't mind at least seeing a Hudon Poehling McCarron line to see what it could do or Agostino if he's been good as tonight is the first time i've watched a Habs game since the WJC's started.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Poehling's St Cloud coach Brett Larson was on with Melnick earlier this evening. I didn't listen but I'll post a link to the TSN690 audio for anyone who would like to listen to the interview at the end of this post.

Melnick just brought up the interview to Pierre McGuire and Larson's view that Poehling is close to being an NHL player but he needs to get stronger. Pierre said that's a normal response since the coach doesn't want to lose the player. McGuire seems sold on Poehling being pretty much ready to play in the NHL.

Anyway here's a link to the Brett Larson audio for anyone who wants to have a listen.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/larson-poehling-makes-players-around-him-better-1.1246795

Edit: Melnick just replayed a portion of the Brett Larson interview about how close Poehling is to the NHL and I'd say Larson was quite spot on about what Poehling needs to work on yet.

Reactions: canadiensnation

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Poehling is definitely ready for pro hockey, a 3rd post draft year in the NCAA would be a complete waste of time. I will be very annoyed if he goes back for another year.

Reactions: jaffy27 and dralaf

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Poehling is definitely ready for pro hockey, a 3rd post draft year in the NCAA would be a complete waste of time. I will be very annoyed if he goes back for another year.

I think having his twin brothers play with him will be what makes him decide to stay another year. He may never have a chance to play competitive hockey with them ever again. Especially since we suddenly have C depth , he may decide it's better for his development to finish his college and at the same time play with his brothers while improving his game.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
McGuire seems sold on Poehling being pretty much ready to play in the NHL.
t.
I would be extremmely surprised if Poehling showed some serious NHL readiness next fall, not only does he need to mature physically but his game still needs some refine... You will see him a bit out of position at times and he isnt always on the right side of the puck, nothing major, just some adjustments he will have to do at the AHL level... There is no hurry with this kid, let him grow, get used to the busy schedules and be as dominant as possible in the AHL before making the jump...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I would be extremmely surprised if Poehling showed some serious NHL readiness next fall, not only does he need to mature physically but his game still needs some refine... You will see him a bit out of position at times and he isnt always on the right side of the puck, nothing major, just some adjustments he will have to do at the AHL level... There is no hurry with this kid, let him grow, get used to the busy schedules and be as dominant as possible in the AHL before making the jump...
You are making things up again. Poehling is stronger positionally than most pros. This is a huge strength for him. He is also physically stronger than most rookies that are entering the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You are making things up again. Poehling is stronger positionally than most pros. This is a huge strength for him. He is also physically stronger than most rookies that are entering the NHL.

He's so stronger than most rookies that are entering the NHL that his coach is saying that he needs to work on his core strength.

hockey30-2019-01-24-%C3%A0-19.11.24.png

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Evans or Poehling IMO McCarron will have to make the team as a winger. I'd almost wager Evans makes the team as a winger before he makes it as a center. Poehling with serious dibbs at this point.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He indeed plays a solid but not perfect 200 ft. game, thats why I said it wasnt concerning, but the NHL is a very demanding league where there is no room for mistakes and where you have to be positionally sound all the times, Poehling is obviously a very good prospect but still a work in progress and still have things to prove and refine before making the jump full time in the NHL, lets see next camp how he does if signed, but Im pretty sure most people will be disappointed since they seem to have pretty high expectations while the kid is not a finished product yet...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think having his twin brothers play with him will be what makes him decide to stay another year. He may never have a chance to play competitive hockey with them ever again. Especially since we suddenly have C depth , he may decide it's better for his development to finish his college and at the same time play with his brothers while improving his game.

Yeah, I would find that very annoying. Kill the boy, become the man!

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
He indeed plays a solid but not perfect 200 ft. game, thats why I said it wasnt concerning, but the NHL is a very demanding league where there is no room for mistakes and where you have to be positionally sound all the times, Poehling is obviously a very good prospect but still a work in progress and still have things to prove and refine before making the jump full time in the NHL, lets see next camp how he does if signed, but Im pretty sure most people will be disappointed since they seem to have pretty high expectations while the kid is not a finished product yet...

I'd agree with you 100%, he's obviously no finished product. Otherwise he'd be playing on the team right now.... That being said, while he has things to prove, he is notably further along the route of proving those things than almost all of his peers. That's what makes him such an exciting prospect, coupled with the WC play. He's nearly an NHL caliber 200 foot 3rd-4th center already, all while never having played a game in even the AHL and being pretty darn young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->