Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched last nights game, the Habs NCAA scout was doing the play by play and spoke highly of Poehling's play especially one where he had a nice pass in the offense zone and then on the same shift he broke up a play with a strong backcheck and then did something right after that (I was many beers deep by the time the game started, :cheers:)

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I think this team and Claude Julien have a different vision for the future. First we need to analysis the most important deciding factor, the coach. Claude Julien loves Patrice Bergeron types or players that fit the mold of that 200 ft centre. These centres are usually big, quick, good in transition, high hockey IQ, offensively capable. These are traits that fit but 3 players that realistically will be in the top 9 in the near future. KK, Danault, and Poehling. Poehling will be in Claude Juliens top 5 favs on this team along with KK, Danault, Weber, and Gallagher. I also feel Jesse Ylonen will be a good NHLer sooner rather than later, and he can replace Tatar after his contract expires in 2021 or 2020 if habs decide to trade him.

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Drouin-Danault-Suzuki
Lehkonen-Poehling-Ylonen
Byron-Prospect-Shaw

Another reason I don't see Domi as a centre for this team moving forward is his style of play. From time to time, a switch turns in his head and he goes full beast mode but it's not always directed at actually playing which can frustrate someone like CJ especially in must win games. Poehling is a safer bet when considering both the tangibles and intangibles that he brings. Domi can free up on the wing, will be able to still play his game with a player like KK and can do his thing without thinking about leaving the team with 2 top 9 Cs in a pressure situation. If habs plan to build a lasting team that can easily transition out Price and Weber when the time eventually comes and not end up in a cap mess (like Toronto, which built their team wrong and it'll show in 3-4 years) they need to build this team with cap management always in mind. Free agents don't go to Montreal so it's fine. When the young core transition to bigger contracts, the team needs to bring in ELCs to counter the spending. It's a simple concept that can only be continued with free cap space, no big free agent contracts, and good drafting. Lucky for Canadiens, they have their two superstars whose games are very sustainable with age locked down to relatively good contracts for the distant future.

Last edited:
Reactions: McTusk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Of course Poehling is going to burn a year of ELC. Other players in his position have done so in past years, it's a non-argument.

Habs have the short end of the stick on this as he could not sign if they don't allow him to burn it.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Of course Poehling is going to burn a year of ELC. Other players in his position have done so in past years, it's a non-argument.

Habs have the short end of the stick on this as he could not sign if they don't allow him to burn it.
The question was more, does by burning one year of his ELC he also become exposed as a 20 years old to the next expansion draft. It's good to know he wont, because there was a lot of confusion about it. In the article, Brunet even said one NHL team had the wrong information about it.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Reactions: BabyPanda

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The question was more, does by burning one year of his ELC he also become exposed as a 20 years old to the next expansion draft. It's good to know he wont, because there was a lot of confusion about it. In the article, Brunet even said one NHL team had the wrong information about it.

I knew about that point, I had read the piece before you posted about it. I chose to limit my comment to burning the ELC year eventuality.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I think the right answer in this is to get him to the team, let him play 9 games, we don't know injuries at that point, Rosters will be expanded and he will be a year closer to free agency yeah but we at least have him, which has always been the concern with NCAA players

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Considering St. Cloud is a strong team and the Frozen Four isn't until April 11-13, there may not be a chance to sign Poehling early and burn a year off his ELC. They will have to lose early again.

Laval finishes April 13 and will miss the playoffs. The NHL playoffs should begin around April 9.

Reactions: Mrb1p

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
10 regular season games right, playoffs are excluded from that count, correct?

"Poehling était admissible à au moins dix matchs (saison régulière ou séries éliminatoires) sans avoir à perdre une année d'éligibilité en prévision du repêchage de l'expansion."

Doesn't seem like playoffs are excluded.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Donato came out of NCAA and had a strong post-season with the Bruins. Subban came out of junior and debuted in the playoffs. Obviously these are special players but to say that a rookie can't come in and play in the playoffs is short sighted, there are many examples of it happening.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Donato came out of NCAA and had a strong post-season with the Bruins. Subban came out of junior and debuted in the playoffs. Obviously these are special players but to say that a rookie can't come in and play in the playoffs is short sighted, there are many examples of it happening.
That's not true regarding Subban. Price, yes, but not PK. (Although it was AHL for Price)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I have no issue signing him at the end of the year. I'm pretty sure he would be our best player to step in if someone got injured.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think the right answer in this is to get him to the team, let him play 9 games, we don't know injuries at that point, Rosters will be expanded and he will be a year closer to free agency yeah but we at least have him, which has always been the concern with NCAA players

Someone verify if they can, but I don't think the 9 games (or even 39 games) gets him one year closer to UNRESTRICTED free agency, just one year closer to RFA status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad