Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 4 (No MB talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Except having Domi go from 70 points as a center to the 50 points he's shown as a winger isn't going to optimize our play. It's going to make use worse period, it also likely does nothing defensively since Poehling has 0 NHL experience at the moment.

I'm not talking about right now, or in the playoff if we make em. I'm talking about if Peohling reaches his potential of being a good 2way 2-3C. If it works out, I would try Domi on the wing. If his production decreases significantly, I'd leave him down the middle; if it stay the same, why not use him on the wing so he can focus on his strenght, scoring points. Lots of "if", but that's what I would try in the near future.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
So I assume you also think Kotkaniemi should also be moved to the wing since he's equally as bad at faceoffs as Domi is.

He's better than Domi in the circle. He has been struggling earlier this season (don't remember the numbers), he is now at 45%. He is also 18 years old.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Good, then let our 1st line center get better at it instead of making room for two 3C in our top 9.

He will have to improve defensively too. If Poehling can excel defensively and in the circle, and Domi produces more on the wing, why not? We don't know those answers yet.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He will have to improve defensively too. If Poehling can excel defensively and in the circle, and Domi produces more on the wing, why not? We don't know those answers yet.
Because we know that Domi is good enough offensively to be a number one guy and thats the most valuable asset a team can have.

It's just stupid good ol' canadian media getting to your brain that the good defensive guys are more important because of a plethora of concepts that are probably too far off for you to even care for. Making room for Poehling is fine, but you got to realize he's 20 and he's not an elite talent, and neither is Danault. Having those two in your middle six is asking to get pounded by carpet bombers meanwhile you're answering with pea-shooter. It's the french vs the german blitzkrieg waiting to happen.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Because we know that Domi is good enough offensively to be a number one guy and thats the most valuable asset a team can have.

It's just stupid good ol' canadian media getting to your brain that the good defensive guys are more important because of a plethora of concepts that are probably too far off for you to even care for. Making room for Poehling is fine, but you got to realize he's 20 and he's not an elite talent, and neither is Danault. Having those two in your middle six is asking to get pounded by carpet bombers meanwhile you're answering with pea-shooter. It's the french vs the german blitzkrieg waiting to happen.

Worry not, stupid Ol' Canadian Media didn't brainwash my brain with those awful thought. Instead I kinda did it on my own. I was thaught at a really young age how the 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 system worked, that 3rd guy up in a 2-1-2 system (which MTL plays most of the time) is really important; if that 3rd guy isn't there, chances are we have an oddman rush against us. Domi is not always the 1st guy back, this is why they put Lehkonen or Armia on his wing. When one of the winger takes the defensive duties, there will likely be one side open in the neutral zone for the other team. He is not a true 1st line center like Crosby, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Barkov are. Notice how many cups those no 1C won? Poehling seem to have that kind of game in him, minus the offensive potential, of course. Domi can improve this part of his game but I doubt his offensive side of the game will stay the same if he does. But then again, I can't predict the future. I like to see him with the puck from the neutral zone in.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Worry not, stupid Ol' Canadian Media didn't brainwash my brain with those awful thought. Instead I kinda did it on my own. I was thaught at a really young age how the 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 system worked, that 3rd guy up in a 2-1-2 system (which MTL plays most of the time) is really important; if that 3rd guy isn't there, chances are we have an oddman rush against us. Domi is not always the 1st guy back, this is why they put Lehkonen or Armia on his wing. When one of the winger takes the defensive duties, there will likely be one side open in the neutral zone for the other team. He is not a true 1st line center like Crosby, Bergeron, Kopitar, Toews, Barkov are. Notice how many cups those no 1C won? Poehling seem to have that kind of game in him, minus the offensive potential, of course. Domi can improve this part of his game but I doubt his offensive side of the game will stay the same if he does. But then again, I can't predict the future. I like to see him with the puck from the neutral zone in.
Poehling seems to have that kind of game in him, minus the most important part, yeah.

I hope Poehling can be our 2nd line C, I have good faith in him and I like him, but moving Domi to the wing is dumb when you have Danault and Poehling, you could just move Danault to the wing or move Poehling to the wing, AKA the worse players that that position. Kotkaniemi will most likely take this 1st line role anyway, he's already producing nigh-elite defensive numbers, we can afford to have a guy like Domi at 2C, and in fact, it's much more bang for your buck for the team to have a highly offensive 2C when you have a 1C that is more of a two way type. (Malkin to Crosby, Kuznetsov to Backstrom, Carter to Kopitar, Kane to Toews.)

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Who ****ing cares about faceoffs, it's an useless stat, more often than not the "winning" side loses the puck two picoseconds after.

He's a top line C, why in the bloody hell would we move him away from there to accomodate all our centers that are WORSE than him ??? He should be 1C until Kotkaniemi is ready to take over, and then 2C until Poehling is ready to take over, and TBH, if it's never, were going to be just fine, he's a better C than Turris or Little.
Someone care about face off because they keep sending Danault to take them... Which mean Domi is on the bench, if he was on the wing he could be on the ice...
Domi is a top line player but you said it yoursefl he is a number 1C until KK and Poehling are ready, If that ever happen Domi isn’t going to play 3rd line C he will be playing on the top line has a winger... Poehling will likely sign to play a game this year and KK able to take on more especially if is he had a player like Domi on is wing vs. Lehkonen... Domi can still be on our top line even if he isn’t a center... I agree that Poehling probably isn’t ready enough to make the move Right away but Domi is very likely the player that will end up being moved so I don’t think it crazy to make to move sooner than later which will help both KK and Poehling get better wingers and better situation.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Someone care about face off because they keep sending Danault to take them... Which mean Domi is on the bench, if he was on the wing he could be on the ice...
Domi is a top line player but you said it yoursefl he is a number 1C until KK and Poehling are ready, If that ever happen Domi isn’t going to play 3rd line C he will be playing on the top line has a winger... Poehling will likely sign to play a game this year and KK able to take on more especially if is he had a player like Domi on is wing vs. Lehkonen... Domi can still be on our top line even if he isn’t a center... I agree that Poehling probably isn’t ready enough to make the move Right away but Domi is very likely the player that will end up being moved so I don’t think it crazy to make to move sooner than later which will help both KK and Poehling get better wingers and better situation.
I don't think Poehling will play over Domi anytime soon, he needs at least a year in the AHL and he probably needs time on the 3rd line.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Poehling seems to have that kind of game in him, minus the most important part, yeah.

I hope Poehling can be our 2nd line C, I have good faith in him and I like him, but moving Domi to the wing is dumb when you have Danault and Poehling, you could just move Danault to the wing or move Poehling to the wing, AKA the worse players that that position. Kotkaniemi will most likely take this 1st line role anyway, he's already producing nigh-elite defensive numbers, we can afford to have a guy like Domi at 2C, and in fact, it's much more bang for your buck for the team to have a highly offensive 2C when you have a 1C that is more of a two way type. (Malkin to Crosby, Kuznetsov to Backstrom, Carter to Kopitar, Kane to Toews.)

Well, I was responding to you regarding what you said about Domi being good enough to be 1C because of his offense. I told you why I wouldn't have Domi as our 1C. Domi as our 2C would be a better spot for him but still, if Peohling pans out, I wouldn't be against trying what I suggested.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, I was responding to you regarding what you said about Domi being good enough to be 1C because of his offense. I told you why I wouldn't have Domi as our 1C. Domi as our 2C would be a better spot for him but still, if Peohling pans out, I wouldn't be against trying what I suggested.

Whats wrong with having Kotkaniemi/Domi/Poehling as a C line ? Pittsburgh and Washington have done it with better players, why couldn't we ?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Whats wrong with having Kotkaniemi/Domi/Poehling as a C line ? Pittsburgh and Washington have done it with better players, why couldn't we ?

If the center line of Kotkaniemi/Peohling/Danult gives us better defensive coverage and Domi is able to produce at the same rate or better on the wing, it should be a plus, no? So why not try it? I mean if it doesn't work, my theory is out the window but at least we would have tried it. Out of those centers, Domi is the only one I wouldn't consider a 2way type of center.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think Poehling will play over Domi anytime soon, he needs at least a year in the AHL and he probably needs time on the 3rd line.
So when Poehling playing on the 3rd line C where does KK, Danault and Domi play because, I don’t see Danault or KK being move to the wing... I entier premise of moving Domi to the wing is based on if Poehling able to fill the 3C spot... if he isn’t able to center the 3rd line he should be in the AHL so Domi remains at center...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If the center line of Kotkaniemi/Peohling/Danult gives us better defensive coverage and Domi is able to produce at the same rate or better on the wing, it should be a plus, no? So why not try it? I mean if it doesn't work, my theory is out the window but at least we would have tried it. Out of those centers, Domi is the only one I wouldn't consider a 2way type of center.

So why do we need another two way type if we already have 3 of them, and most likely including the future fourth line C, too ? How did the Hawks and Pens win all those cups with Malkin and Kane on their team ? Oh right, by scoring more goals than them.

Kotkaniemi
Domi
Danault/Poehling
4C
Gives you two shutdown C, two offensive C and two grinding C, thats balanced.

No team in the league strives for this type of "two-way" play, it's a dumb myth.

Furthermore, we know that Domi can be a top 6 C, Domi knows it and he's going to get paid like one, not like a winger. Wanna pay Domi 7m for him to be on the wing? Not me. And I haven't even touched on Domi's playstyle that obviously makes him much worse at W than C, and we've seen it through his career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So when Poehling playing on the 3rd line C where does KK, Danault and Domi play because, I don’t see Danault or KK being move to the wing... I entier premise of moving Domi to the wing is based on if Poehling able to fill the 3C spot... if he isn’t able to center the 3rd line he should be in the AHL so Domi remains at center...
Danault can gtfo for all I care, he's going to want to get paid because he thinks he's a top 6 C and this team can't afford him.

Reactions: psychonaut

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
So why do we need another two way type if we already have 3 of them, and most likely including the future fourth line C, too ? How did the Hawks and Pens win all those cups with Malkin and Kane on their team ? Oh right, by scoring more goals than them.

Kotkaniemi
Domi
Danault/Poehling
4C
Gives you two shutdown C, two offensive C and two grinding C, thats balanced.

No team in the league strives for this type of "two-way" play, it's a dumb myth.

Furthermore, we know that Domi can be a top 6 C, Domi knows it and he's going to get paid like one, not like a winger. Wanna pay Domi 7m for him to be on the wing? Not me. And I haven't even touched on Domi's playstyle that obviously makes him much worse at W than C, and we've seen it through his career.

Because there would be a responsible player on the ice at all time, playing center and not wing. Thus making things harder for the other team to score?

Kane is not a center. What's his salary? Not a good example.

Edit: Domi is an offensive threat and average defensively and bad on faceoffs. Sounds like he's more suited to be a winger to me.

Reactions: calder candidate

Jul 6, 2016

Poehling might decide to finish his College next season.... Or he will not be ready for NHL action before going a full season of AHL hockey. So, don't look too far away. We will have the same three top-3 centermen next season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Because there would be a responsible player on the ice at all time, playing center and not wing. Thus making things harder for the other team to score?

Kane is not a center. What's his salary? Not a good example.
Kane is the center of the play for the Hawks and he has played center for the hawks.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Danault can gtfo for all I care, he's going to want to get paid because he thinks he's a top 6 C and this team can't afford him.
He is signed for the next 2 years and right now I would say that he is worth what he is being paid... If he want more will have to deal with that later, all the more reason to try to get Poehling in the best situation to be NHL ready.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Kane is the center of the play for the Hawks and he has played center for the hawks.
I don’t really follow the Hawks game that closely but I’m pretty sure Kane is and as been a RW most of is carrer... If he has played center (I’ll take your word for it) it means that he was move back to the wing so if Kane was move to the wing I can’t see why Domi couldn’t at some point in the futur...

Reactions: Acadien86

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don’t really follow the Hawks game that closely but I’m pretty sure Kane is and as been a RW most of is carrer... If he has played center (I’ll take your word for it) it means that he was move back to the wing so if Kane was move to the wing I can’t see why Domi couldn’t at some point in the futur...

Kane is a better player at RW than he is at center, Quenneville realized that after a bunch of games.

When a player finds his chair, thats where he should stay until a better player comes along.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He is signed for the next 2 years and right now I would say that he is worth what he is being paid... If he want more will have to deal with that later, all the more reason to try to get Poehling in the best situation to be NHL ready.
Poehling won't be ready to take over for at least another season, so thats the point, you can move Danault then and if Poehling isn't ready, you can keep Danault and assume Poehling will never be a top 6 C, which means Domi remains at C in all these cases.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

He has played center for the first 2 months in 2011 just to be replaced by Marcus Krueger in the middle of that 2nd line. Mind you, another 2way center. Must be bad coaching.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He's better than Domi in the circle. He has been struggling earlier this season (don't remember the numbers), he is now at 45%. He is also 18 years old.

There is a 1% difference in faceoff percentage. So if one guy is bad so is the other. If faceoffs actually matter then Kotkaniemi's age is irrelevant, since what matters is whether he actually wins them or not. Kotkaniemi will get better with experience, but the same is true for Domi, this is his first year at center so as he gains experience he'll improve. Also since experience does matter chances are Poehling won't be great at faceoffs to start with in the NHL either.

It doesn't seem like you actually care about faceoffs, you just bring it up in Domi's case because you think it supports you're argument.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad