Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 3 - Back to school edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'm sure y'all are sick of hearing me say it but we gotta temper the expectations. I have no doubt Poehling will be a 2c, I'm far more confident than most people about it but I'm not prepared to repeat Buffalo's mistake of relying on a rookie C to fill that role immediately. If Poehling surpasses expectation and we have to shift a C to wing, perfect. If Denault gets stuck on the wing long term, perfect. Id rather consider trades then than now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Poehlin is a lot better player than you guys were reporting on here

maybe, maybe not, I don't put a lot of stock in the WJC's. Posters tend to get carried away with good or bad performances. Look at the posts from Lehkonen's last year in the WJC's at 19, he had 1 pt in the tournament, then look at what Collberg did at 17, he had 7 pts in 6 games. Ended up with 19 pts over 3 WJC's.

How good is Poehling? We won't know till we see him in the NHL, since last season in 52 games he's put up 48 pts, he plays on the top line for the best team in the NCAA this year and one of last year. Out of the 60 NCAA teams, SCSU has been top 2 or 3 in goals since last year. Poehling drives the play, he creates a lot of chances out there but SCSU is likely the deepest team in the NCAA at forward as they roll 4 strong lines that can beat any team in the NCAA. So how good is he vs being on such a good team. He's clearly a very good playmaker, he uses his size/strength well, has the speed/skating you want for today's NHL. So clearly all the physical tools are there, he's got a good skill level now we just need to see how good that skill level is.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
He was named the tournament's best forward.

I don't think he has the best game the finals offensively. He must be disappointed. He worked hard and faced off well against their best elements, but offense didn't click for his line tonight. He also had one turnover leading to a goal against.

Still, amazing tournament for him. I hope it's a confidence booster for him. Amazing experience for sure.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Voted best forward in the tournament by the IIHF.

He was named the tournament's best forward.

I don't think he has the best game the finals offensively. He must be disappointed. He worked hard and faced off well against their best elements, but offense didn't click for his line tonight. He also had one turnover leading to a goal against.

Still, amazing tournament for him. I hope it's a confidence booster for him. Amazing experience for sure.

Shows alot that he could still win the MVP award.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cphabs and jaffy27

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I dunno. I'm a big Poehling fan but I'm a bit disappointed in his lack of offensive production when it mattered most.

If there's a bright side, he was a lot better than Wahlstrom and Farabee this tourney.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I dunno. I'm a big Poehling fan but I'm a bit disappointed in his lack of offensive production when it mattered most.

If there's a bright side, he was a lot better than Wahlstrom and Farabee this tourney.

From what I have seen in the 2nd half of this game, they used Poehling against the opponent's top unit, on the PK and he got around 30 seconds of PP time after Jack Hughes' unit wasted 1:30. It isn't much time to set up a PP and create offense.

The defensive responsibilities put on Poehling meant that, 5 on 5, the play was often in USA's end. He would go for a change as soon as they could get it out. Finland's best units wrre able to create a ton of pressure. I personally felt on most occasions that Poehling played his role admirably, but his linemates didn't do as well. They became stuck in their zone this way in a few occasions.

Of course, players like Bergeron can do that and still produce offense and that's amazing. However, realistically, Poehling can be good without being on the same level as those very best players.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It was quite simple, that Poehling lacked chemistry with the players he played with on 5v5 hockey. His best linemates were by far Norris and Robertson, no idea why they broke them up.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Realy good final for the kid. Of course, he's a bit responsable for the winnng goal and thats why he's so disappointed, but he was fantastic even if his name was not written on the scoreboard. It looks good for the future. We can believe fairly in a top 6 center upside right there.

Reactions: cphabs and 26Mats

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Only on HF could Poehling win MVP and we still find a way to criticize him.

No one is unhappy with how he played as a whole in this tournament and we're all happy he won MVP...doesn't mean we have to get on our knees for him.

No one plays a perfect game, and because of that they're open to criticism. It's not the end of the world if someone criticizes him, at the end of the day, every habs fan should be extremely happy we have him.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Voted best forward in the tournament by the IIHF.
Shows alot that he could still win the MVP award.

He joins some pretty good company over the last 10 years:
2009 John Tavares
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

2010 Jordan Eberle

2011 Brayden Schenn

2012 Yevgeni Kuznetsov
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

2013 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

2014 Filip Forsberg
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png

2015 Max Domi

2016 Jesse Puljujärvi
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png

2017 Kirill Kaprizov
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png

2018 Casey Mittelstadt
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Regardless or not he deserves it, he’s still shown a lot more potential than we thought when he was first drafted. Over a PPG now in the NCAA too.

Reactions: cphabs

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
He's exceeded my expectations as a prospect so far, and is showing more potential than I initially thought he was capable of.

I still predict that he will top out as a very good 3C in the NHL, but I hope he continues to surpass my expectations.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he is capable of at the pro level.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

Dont agree what so ever. He had a bad period while being amazing the rest of the tourny and named mvp. Some people just cant be happy....

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He was great all tournament. Looks like we got a player in this kid.

Reactions: cphabs

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Poehling was an excellent performer all tournament long. He didn't come through at the end but was very very close. He shined about as brite as any other top performer but the question is... Is this it for him.. Is this his ceiling.

If so thats a great 4c.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
lol this board felates prospects to no end... unless they are named Ryan Poehling in which case they are 4th liners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad