Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This boy really has some talent and has some sweet hands on this play!!

Kids got the total package. Happy he’s playing more of an offensive role this year and showing the doubters he does have great offensive instincts and prowess. Can shut them down and then fly up the use to score a goal. If he was another teams prospect we’d be clamouring to trade Patches for him. He’s going to be a good one. Dare I make a comparison to a player like Bergeron or Couturier now. Both were seen as defence first players but have offensive skills they can use when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91 and sharks9

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I woke up to see that absolute highlight reel of a goal. Just wow by Poehling.

The kid's a complete player. He plays what you call "an NHL game." Kind of like Juulsen. Nothing fancy, but you see they play the type of all around game that is made for the big leagues. However, it's refreshing to see some top end offensive skill by Poehling.

Reactions: Redux91

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Lol what a sick move. I was expecting to see another rebound banged in, but was delighted by a ''Hertl'' in full flight.

Reactions: Redux91

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wow...that was impressive. And frankly, amongst the first time you see those mitts at work. The great news about him is that he can play whatever game you need him to play. He's the total opposite of being one-dimensional. He could play the skills game. And the hardnose one.

Sign the guy.

Reactions: Tuggy and Andrei79

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wow...that was impressive. And frankly, amongst the first time you see those mitts at work. The great news about him is that he can play whatever game you need him to play. He's the total opposite of being one-dimensional. He could play the skills game. And the hardnose one.

Sign the guy.

They'll probably give him another year in NCAA to see if he can repeat and further develop.

But if I recall, I think Poehling said that if he is offered an ELC, he will sign and forego finishing his NCAA stage. Don't quote me on that, but I remember hearing/reading something like that.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
They'll probably give him another year in NCAA to see if he can repeat and further develop.

But if I recall, I think Poehling said that if he is offered an ELC, he will sign and forego finishing his NCAA stage. Don't quote me on that, but I remember hearing/reading something like that.

I'd sign him right away. But NOT to be a top 6 player. Play him slowly bottom 6 just like Patrice Bergeron was groomed in.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the plan is to bring back Plekanec on a 1 year deal as a buffer for Poehling, but if he finishes the year strong, and has a top notch offseason, he could change that plan. The way our team is built currently, the top 9 is interchangeable anyway...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
And if there is someone who knows how to help Poehling grow is the guy who helped Bergeron grow.
Bergeron was already a 70+ point C by time Julien was coach. :dunno:

Hopefully Habs can not rush a prospect and give him another year in NCAA.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Awesome. Contrary to what many seem to indicate, the Habs drafting has been excellent during MB's tenure (with the exception being McCarron but this is negated by later round picks like Hudon and Mete who are making it).

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Bergeron was trust in the top 6 right off the bat at 18 years old then took over when they traded Thornton...

Pretty sure he's joking. Habs put them on 4th line (wing of he's a center usually). Bergeron was 40 pts C at 18

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Poehling really has some untapped potential on offense. You can tell that with his gained confidence he's starting to really blossom. I don't think he'll ever be a big time scorer in the NHL, but I think he'll be able to produce on a consistent basis while doing all the other little things very well. He's really a complete player and the type of player that we just don't have at all in our system at the moment. Every time I see him skate, he reminds me a little of Pacioretty with that wide stance. He's really a powerful skater.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think the plan is to bring back Plekanec on a 1 year deal as a buffer for Poehling, but if he finishes the year strong, and has a top notch offseason, he could change that plan. The way our team is built currently, the top 9 is interchangeable anyway...

If you think a UFA like Plekaturtleneck would come back for only a year you did not pay too much attention to the UFA market ;) Players like him at that stage of their career try to add years to their contract as much as they can even if it is a little less money per year. I would be very surprised if he goes under 2-3 yrs and less than 4 M $/yr. Thankfully for him, MB is well known to overpay such contracts.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I woke up to see that absolute highlight reel of a goal. Just wow by Poehling.

The kid's a complete player. He plays what you call "an NHL game." Kind of like Juulsen. Nothing fancy, but you see they play the type of all around game that is made for the big leagues. However, it's refreshing to see some top end offensive skill by Poehling.

Nothing fancy eh? lol!

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Bergeron was trust in the top 6 right off the bat at 18 years old then took over when they traded Thornton...

Watsatheo knows me too well....:D

I want Poehling to be signed and tested right away. And if he ends up being better than what we have, you play him and give him all the chances to shine. Period. But that's not what Julien will do unfortunately unless...he is in love with his 2-way game and surprises us.

But if he can't do that right away, you still can use him in a bottom 6 role. This kid can do it all. There are no reasons to send him back another year. I just don't see it.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
If you think a UFA like Plekaturtleneck would come back for only a year you did not pay too much attention to the UFA market ;) Players like him at that stage of their career try to add years to their contract as much as they can even if it is a little less money per year. I would be very surprised if he goes under 2-3 yrs and less than 4 M $/yr. Thankfully for him, MB is well known to overpay such contracts.

I don't see a team giving Pleks more than 1.5M/year on a 2 year deal. No way he gets 3 years.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I had those exact numbers in my head. If he turns out to be that type of player, then we're set at 2nd line center for 10-12 years at least.
He's also the perfect type of player considering our wingers. Would be bringing both size and a 200 foot game into our top 6- in addition to playmaking, net presence, and skill.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd sign him right away. But NOT to be a top 6 player. Play him slowly bottom 6 just like Patrice Bergeron was groomed in.

It’s a sad state when I’d rather have him develop on the NCAA than subject him to Sy in Laval. Remember when we used to develop young up and coming coaches? Yeah, me neither. :shakehead:

At this point, unless there’s a change in coaching in the A, I’d keep him there with Bob Motzko to continue his development over Sly every day of the week. Also, Laval has a losing environment whereas St. Cloud is top in their division and considered one of the best in the NCAA. Why mess with that when it’s been working so well?

Standings

Rankings

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad