Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
After a couple of questionable first round picks in Leblanc and Tinordi, Timmins has done a pretty good job with his first rounders in the last 7 years.

2011- Beaulieu (In the end, it didn't work out but I still thought it was a great pick as all the tools were there, but no tool box.)
2012- Galchenyuk
2013- McCarron (the most questionable pick since 2010, but I think they ruined his development.I still think he makes the NHL)
2014- Scherbak (coming along nicely with Top 6 potential)
2015- Juulsen- We're seeing the talent and potential. Doesn't look out of place in the NHL at 20. 2nd pairing upside)
2016- Sergachev (No explanation needed)
2017- Poehling- Looks great so far

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Watsatheo knows me too well....:D

I want Poehling to be signed and tested right away. And if he ends up being better than what we have, you play him and give him all the chances to shine. Period. But that's not what Julien will do unfortunately unless...he is in love with his 2-way game and surprises us.

But if he can't do that right away, you still can use him in a bottom 6 role. This kid can do it all. There are no reasons to send him back another year. I just don't see it.

Oh well, my sarcasm detector is off.

Anyway, still think he can develop his offense in the NCAA plus wJC next year.

Mental HABuse

Mar 2, 2018
I’m not sure Tinordi was a horrible pick at the spot but he could have been managed better. There is always this fascination with big guys having to be enforcers.... they tried making him and McCarron into the fighting types. Big guys do not always have to be fighting. Is Brian Boyle a fighter? Didn’t Tinordi get concussed after getting into a fight? Maybe my memory fails me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Tinordi and McCarron were drafted for a different league. At the time we were a tiny team that were getting bullied on a nightly basis- Tinordi and McCarron were brought in to add size and toughness... just the league has moved on from that. But I think MB knows this, I remember when he got here he was preaching about bringing in size and toughness, while now he's preaching about speed, IQ, and compete level.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It sucks because the Habs are always trying to follow up on other teams, LA brought big guys, lets get big guys, Chicago brought fast guys, lets bring in fast guys.

The last time the Habs had a "league changing" team was back in 07 when they had a team with a dominating PP and matchup offense.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
After a couple of questionable first round picks in Leblanc and Tinordi, Timmins has done a pretty good job with his first rounders in the last 7 years.

2011- Beaulieu (In the end, it didn't work out but I still thought it was a great pick as all the tools were there, but no tool box.)
2012- Galchenyuk
2013- McCarron (the most questionable pick since 2010, but I think they ruined his development.I still think he makes the NHL)
2015- Juulsen- We're seeing the talent and potential. Doesn't look out of place in the NHL at 20. 2nd pairing upside)

1st rounders haven't been the issue for this team, they haven't hit on much past the 1st.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I see a mikko koivu- jordan staal (with some
more offence) type player in Poehling. Also his demeanor and responsible play style is leadership material. In in the next 4-6 years I wouldn’t be suprised to see him wearing an A.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hey good for the kid to start bringing some more dimensions to his offensive game.

These are things I did not see and he did not even attempt last year whenever I watched him.

Still gotta work on dat shot doe

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Hey good for the kid to start bringing some more dimensions to his offensive game.

These are things I did not see and he did not even attempt last year whenever I watched him.

Still gotta work on dat shot doe

Didn't Pacioretty have a relatively poor shot his draft year as well? Or he just didn't use it much?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Tinordi and McCarron were drafted for a different league. At the time we were a tiny team that were getting bullied on a nightly basis- Tinordi and McCarron were brought in to add size and toughness... just the league has moved on from that. But I think MB knows this, I remember when he got here he was preaching about bringing in size and toughness, while now he's preaching about speed, IQ, and compete level.

Agreed. It's too bad given that the successful team he helped assemble in Chicago was a small team. Sounds like he fell for public pressure or popular demand. That said, Tinordi was not drafted by MB.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't Pacioretty have a relatively poor shot his draft year as well? Or he just didn't use it much?

i only saw him once in his draft year in the USHL but I don't recall too much other then liking his skating/speed for a bigger kid. He was more of a playmaker at Michigan but his line killed it and he was Freshman playing with 2 Seniors. He still had 15 goals that year.

Reactions: Andrei79

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He had the shot. He just rarely used it and focused more on playmaking at the time. Which is funny because he's the opposite nown

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

2012- Galchenyuk

No matter if we think it was a good pick or not (I also thought Beaulieu was a fine pick), end result is that it wasn't. Same with McCarron. 2012 is no contest. Forsberg, yeah maybe, but Galchenyuk is fine. Scherbak, Juulsen and Poehling remains to be seen. Sergachev will be a heck of a pick. But not only are Scherbak, Juulsen and Poehling needs to be solid and play key roles, they need to be better than what was picked after. That will always be the comparison at one point. But all 3 are looking fine.....as of now.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
1st rounders haven't been the issue for this team, they haven't hit on much past the 1st.

Subban, Streit, Grabovski, Latendresse (career cut short due to injury), Gallagher, Hudon, Lehkonen, Mete, De la Rose, Emelin, Y. Weber, Andrighetto - that's about 1 non first rounder every year.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Yup not many players would attempt that shot. Amazing skill to pull off a move like that while being checked from behind....and then score? Crazy.

Crazy cool move for sure, but why did the D stop skating? Reminds me of a crazy Rob Schremp move years ago in the minors... never was able to make it in the NHL. Displaying skills when you have time and space is not the same as doing it in the NHL. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Beer and Chips
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad