Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
All the talk of him being at least a 2C..you need to dial your expectations a bit. I like Poehling a lot more than I expected to but without some serious development his game looks to translate to 3rd line role at the higher level...he has a lot more upside than that but all the talk of him being a blue chip..well that just says how low the bar is when it comes to our talent pool.

He actually reminds me more than anyone else of...Eller.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Lol god i love how people can be 100% accurate about a player before he even makes it to the NHL, let him play 3 years in NCAA and then re-evaluate if you want him to go pro or finish his college career

but to see people guarantee the number of points he will produce is so... interesting i guess. im not saying hes gonna be PPG but why convince yourself so soon at what his ceiling will be? jesus enjoy life a little

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Has anybody been watching him on a game to game basis? I heard great things before the WJC, wasn’t incredibly impressed with him when I did get to watch him their and haven’t seen him play next. Is he still developing nicely?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Has anybody been watching him on a game to game basis? I heard great things before the WJC, wasn’t incredibly impressed with him when I did get to watch him their and haven’t seen him play next. Is he still developing nicely?
He took a backseat at the WJC for sure. I don't think that tournament showcased his potential at all, he kind of demurred to guys like Mittelstadt. At SCS his confidence is at a next level. I think he's a top 6 C in the making. I don't think he's ever going to lead the charge offensively in the NHL, but he can keep up and do the little things that will help a top line be all around effective. He's kind of like Danault but bigger and with much better vision and passing. If he and Danault are the centers in our middle 6, we are in great shape at those spots.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
3 centers drafted in the next 6 picks after Poehling.

- Flyers Morgan Frost currently has 94 points in 56 games in OHL.
- Sens Shane Bowers has 26 points (16 goals) in 32 games for Boston University.
- Blues 6 3" Klim Kostin has 18 points in 44 games in AHL.

Poehling looks like the safe type of pick. (2-way player, 3rd line C). Habs scouts miss out on a top 6 center that can put up points?

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
He took a backseat at the WJC for sure. I don't think that tournament showcased his potential at all, he kind of demurred to guys like Mittelstadt. At SCS his confidence is at a next level. I think he's a top 6 C in the making. I don't think he's ever going to lead the charge offensively in the NHL, but he can keep up and do the little things that will help a top line be all around effective. He's kind of like Danault but bigger and with much better vision and passing. If he and Danault are the centers in our middle 6, we are in great shape at those spots.
You know another safe pick habs took with a first round pick? Kyle chipchura. I have a feeling there's a chance that poehling can turn into another chips...granted chipchura had an awful Achilles injury which sapped his skating ability. But still. This franchise rarely takes chances on skills. And when they do they're either traded or developed poorly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All the talk of him being at least a 2C..you need to dial your expectations a bit. I like Poehling a lot more than I expected to but without some serious development his game looks to translate to 3rd line role at the higher level...he has a lot more upside than that but all the talk of him being a blue chip..well that just says how low the bar is when it comes to our talent pool.

He actually reminds me more than anyone else of...Eller.

Poehling made the US team as a 18 year old and I think most have him in the middle 2C role potential. I think people need to understand what syle he plays and he is a team first guy. Don't expect him to put up 60+ points year after year but he is a big body that can skate and does a lot of things well. He is a grade A type prospect but not blue chip. We need to see his development and progression in the next year or two.

Habs are middle of the pack with our prospect pool. Anywheres from the 12-20 range IMO. You can only understand this when you look at every team. Not many teams have Blue chip prospects.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Poehling looks like the safe type of pick. (2-way player, 3rd line C). Habs scouts miss out on a top 6 center that can put up points?

You're comparing players in three different leagues.

The only one playing at the same level of hockey as him (NCAA) is Shane Bowers and you're implying he's playing better than Poehling yet he has a lower point per game average (0.81) than Poehling (0.96). I'm not sure I get your point.

There's no point in comparing what Frost is doing in junior (easiest) or what Kostin is doing in the AHL (hardest).

I'm assuming there's a decent chance all 4 will be at the World Juniors next year. That should give us a chance to see where their at against peers their age.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
You know another safe pick habs took with a first round pick? Kyle chipchura. I have a feeling there's a chance that poehling can turn into another chips...granted chipchura had an awful Achilles injury which sapped his skating ability. But still. This franchise rarely takes chances on skills. And when they do they're either traded or developed poorly.

How the heck can you compare him to Chipchura who wasn't even a point a game player in his least year of junior? If you mean by that they both play the center position, are responsible defensively and we're drafted by the Montreal Canadiens, then ya, they're similar.

Reactions: TheBuriedHab

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
How the heck can you compare him to Chipchura who wasn't even a point a game player in his least year of junior? If you mean by that they both play the center position, are responsible defensively and we're drafted by the Montreal Canadiens, then ya, they're similar.
that's exactly why i'm comparing them. good job. Poehling had 13 pts in 35 games in his draft year. Safe to say that's comparable to not being PPG in chips draft season in the dub?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The only one playing at the same level of hockey as him (NCAA) is Shane Bowers and you're implying he's playing better than Poehling yet he has a lower point per game average (0.81) than Poehling (0.96). I'm not sure I get your point.

There's no point in comparing what Frost is doing in junior (easiest) or what Kostin is doing in the AHL (hardest).

I'm assuming there's a decent chance all 4 will be at the World Juniors next year. That should give us a chance to see where their at against peers their age.

Kostin dominated the play at this years WJC, Poheling was just fine. Kostin is an amazing talent, Poehling is a fine safe player.

Reactions: Andrei79

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
that's exactly why i'm comparing them. good job. Poehling had 13 pts in 35 games in his draft year. Safe to say that's comparable to not being PPG in chips draft season in the dub?

So you're comparing last year's stats for 2 players that weren't even playing in the same league and who were drafted 13 years apart?

Why don't you just use this year's stats?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Kostin dominated the play at this years WJC, Poheling was just fine. Kostin is an amazing talent, Poehling is a fine safe player.

Can we wait until they hit the NHL at least before we assume one is amazing and the other just a fine safe player. You might be right, maybe Poehling will be just a 3rd line center and Kostin a 1st line center, but give it a few years before proclaiming one to be amazing and the other just "safe".

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Poehling made the US team as a 18 year old and I think most have him in the middle 2C role potential. I think people need to understand what syle he plays and he is a team first guy. Don't expect him to put up 60+ points year after year but he is a big body that can skate and does a lot of things well. He is a grade A type prospect but not blue chip. We need to see his development and progression in the next year or two.

Habs are middle of the pack with our prospect pool. Anywheres from the 12-20 range IMO. You can only understand this when you look at every team. Not many teams have Blue chip prospects.
Jonathan Toews without the leadership

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

God thank you for that, i couldnt wrap my head around how to answer him.. as if simply because morgan frost has 96 pts in OHL would translate to he same production in the NCAA playing vs 20-21-22 year olds..

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

And Poehling has a ppg in the NCAA?

Am I missing something here? He's got almost as many points as bowers in 5 less games

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Jonathan Toews without the leadership
im sorry but where does that come from??i understand people rave about "leadership" as if its "you got it or you dont" but its really not like that, its more of a measurement.. some are more vocal than others, some are more serious than others, i believe toews goes by "captain serious" well, poehling looks plenty serious to me.

to be clear i am NOT saying they are the same, i just find i should clarify for others if youre trying to say or inadvertently saying that "poehling has no leadership."

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
hmmm, so it's safe to say that Kostin can be a #1 C but it's plain stupid to say that Peohling can be a #2 C.

Never change HFboards.

Kostin Bowers and Frost will all be superstars, we're lucky if Poehling even plays an nhl game

Wanna know why? Because being optimistic about habs prospects is a form of Bergevin loving, which is a criminal offence

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

yes, have seen most of his games with SCSU this year. He's developing very well so far, things are about to ramp up since they have a battle for the regular season NCHC title this weekend vs Denver, if SCSU wins 1 game they get the title. Then they face a tough North Dakota team and then the playoffs start so we'll see how it continues to go for him. Just really like the way he plays, smart, hard working, good at setting up plays but also at handling the puck as he's got the physical tools that you want to see, strength, skating, speed. As he continues to mature physically over the next few years, going to be very interesting to see where his game ends up.

I could see a better skating, quicker Chipchura on the lower end of his downside. Meaning if his offensive game doesn't translate, things just don't go as expected maybe the downside is he ends up nothing more then a 4th defensive center as to me he's got the tools that all but make him a lock to be an NHLer just a question of where does his game fall. He made a huge leap forward in his progression, so now we need to see if that continues, or if not how much can he still progress, if not if his game stays as is now, I still think he will be at worst a 4th liner down the road. So that then means what happens if he keeps progressing, how good can he become, but no one knows that.

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
Thats Bergevin bullcrap. I cam guarantee you with 110% certainty that Poehling will never use his teammates as good as Galchenyuk, hell never make defenders back up at center ice like Galchenyuk does and hell never be able to gain the zone like Galchenyuk does. Galchenyuk is a center through and through and it hurts so much hearing people call him a winger.

None of those skills translate to being a complete centre. He can barely handle the defensive responsibilities of a winger; what makes you think he can handle those of a centre?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
im sorry but where does that come from??i understand people rave about "leadership" as if its "you got it or you dont" but its really not like that, its more of a measurement.. some are more vocal than others, some are more serious than others, i believe toews goes by "captain serious" well, poehling looks plenty serious to me.

to be clear i am NOT saying they are the same, i just find i should clarify for others if youre trying to say or inadvertently saying that "poehling has no leadership."
I am saying that Toews is a great leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad