Tribute Ryan O'Reilly welcome to the Toronto Maple Leafs appreciation thread

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Probably been our best forward in this series. This guy is definitely a warrior and someone we NEED to re-sign.

Reactions: Bellzy

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
It's weird to me that O'Reilly can be really bad for most of a game, but have a dominant end for the win and he's a savior.

Nylander on the other hand has a bad game, has a dominant end for the win and he gets a "nice progress but be better for all 60" majority reaction.

You will never convince me this place isn't biased. The new guy is not suddenly the team. Once Keefe split the lines up and the puck ran evenly between Matthews Nylander and Marner, it was game over for Tampa. You all saw it. O'Reilly does not have this same impact at 31 years old.

He is clutch. He is going to help us win the cup with significant impact. But come on. Allow yourselves to love Nylander too. We drafted him, developed him, he's been here his whole life and wanted to be locked up for 8 years. He's not your enemy.

If the reasoning is that O'Reilly is allowed to go invisible because he has a conn Smythe.....mind boggling. He's 31. Nylander is the young guy still writing his story. Give him a chance.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's weird to me that O'Reilly can be really bad for most of a game, but have a dominant end for the win and he's a savior.

Nylander on the other hand has a bad game, has a dominant end for the win and he gets a "nice progress but be better for all 60" majority reaction.

You will never convince me this place isn't biased. The new guy is not suddenly the team. Once Keefe split the lines up and the puck ran evenly between Matthews Nylander and Marner, it was game over for Tampa. You all saw it. O'Reilly does not have this same impact at 31 years old.

He is clutch. He is going to help us win the cup with significant impact. But come on. Allow yourselves to love Nylander too. We drafted him, developed him, he's been here his whole life and wanted to be locked up for 8 years. He's not your enemy.
I'm sure a lot of it is because Nylander is softer and appears to be lazier, whereas ROR is the opposite of that.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I think that it's about O'Reilly being himself and more when going gets tough. His leading by example and seems to be pretty important part of our leadership group now.

We don't have to compare him to Nylander. Who is and has always been a game breaker in the playoffs, but it's still not the same. We can respect both.

It seems that O'Reilly elevates people around him and I'm not talking about his line. I'm talking about our team. He is someone we have needed before and now we have him.

He is something we hoped Matthews or Tavares could be, but they weren't. It's not about skill, but about will, experience and leadership.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

If the reasoning is that O'Reilly is allowed to go invisible because he has a conn Smythe.....mind boggling. He's 31. Nylander is the young guy still writing his story. Give him a chance.
Feelings
Nothing more than feelings
Trying to forget my feelings of love
Teardrops
Rolling down on my face
Trying to forget my feelings of love
Feelings
For all my life I'll feel it
I wish I've never met you, girl
You'll never come again
Feelings
Wo-o-o feelings
Wo-o-o feelings
Again in my arms

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
I think that it's about O'Reilly being himself and more when going gets tough. His leading by example and seems to be pretty important part of our leadership group now.

We don't have to compare him to Nylander. Who is and has always been a game breaker in the playoffs, but it's still not the same. We can respect both.

It seems that O'Reilly elevates people around him and I'm not talking about his line. I'm talking about our team. He is someone we have needed before and now we have him.

He is something we hoped Matthews or Tavares could be, but they weren't. It's not about skill, but about will, experience and leadership.
To an extent you have also described Nylander the past 3 playoffs though. The guy is playoff money.

At this point it should be the case that if he has a really bad game you just leave him be and let him figure it out. He most likely will.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
To an extent you have also described Nylander the past 3 playoffs though. The guy is playoff money.

At this point it should be the case that if he has a really bad game you just leave him be and let him figure it out. He most likely will.
I don't think I have ever complained about Nylander. Always liked him and to me he has always been a good to great playoff performer. Though he isn't leader, but scorer and important one. When Kadri got suspended he played great games as a center. Many remembers his embarrassing shift from last year, but it's partly who he is sometimes.

I think what's the difference between this two is that Nylander can elevate ROR, but ROR can elevate whole team. At least at the moment, because his slowing down, but at the moment O'Reilly is clearly someone who we have lacked before. He keeps the teams motor running in desperate times and creates an atmosphere where players like Nylander can succeed.

That's why we rave about him. We need both, but Nylander we already had.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
P.s you don't catch me defending Matthews and marner to the same extent as nylander because they're somehow in the category where they can also suck for most of the game but only need to do 1 good thing that contributed to the win to be saviors (which I like). Don't even waste my time convincing me nylander is treated fairly

Reactions: SwissLeaf

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
ROR is an amazing player and leader, and you can see why he was named a Conn Smythe winner as he wills his teams on to victory.

ROR, Morgan and Samsonov have been the most deserving of praise on this team. Schenn has really done a great job on D as well. The coaching from Keefe has been some of the worst I have ever seen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Winners win and losers find ways to lose .. it is really that simple .. only 3 surprises to me have been Sammy and Mo and Schenner .. between ROR, Sammy, Mo and Schenner they have carried da load for 3 wins .. da core 4 are exactly da same as they always were secondary playoff pieces .. this team is where it is at 3 to 1 because of ROR, Sammy, Mo and Schenner

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022

It's quite simple, 7 points with 0 defence vs 7 points with tremendous defense. Who do you want?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why is ROR being compared to Nylander and Marner?

He's a centerman. Tavares and Matthews should be the internal comparisons and ROR has been the best center on the team bar none so far.

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
It sounds like you're saying Nylander plays 0 defence. If so, then I disagree quite strongly.
Next time get the glasses to watch games. Nylander-Tavares line was on the ice for roughly 80% of the goals against last 2 games(if not more). He might not be bad defensively but he contributes nothing to defense. I am not even anti Nylander, it's just facts.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Next time get the glasses to watch games. Nylander-Tavares line was on the ice for roughly 80% of the goals against last 2 games(if not more). He might not be bad defensively but he contributes nothing to defense. I am not even anti Nylander, it's just facts.
LOL at this nonsense masquerading as "analysis". You've taken a stat that's meaningless in isolation, over a meaningless sample size, even with this piddling amount of data you're not even sure of your numbers (as indicated by "roughly" and "if not more"), and your conclusion is that Nylander contributes nothing to defence. If anyone has issues with glasses, it's clearly you.

Stats over a 3 game sample size aren't anything to rely on, but I will leave you with one stat that you might find surprising. Nylander is tied with Matthews and ROR for the team lead in takeaways in these playoffs. I hope you understand that when the opposing team has the puck and you take it away from them, that's a substantial defensive contribution and just so you know, it's not some 3 game fluke, Nylander was second on the team behind only Marner, and 11th in the entire NHL in that category during the regular season.

Cliff notes: contributes nothing my ass.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Winners win and losers find ways to lose .. it is really that simple .. only 3 surprises to me have been Sammy and Mo and Schenner .. between ROR, Sammy, Mo and Schenner they have carried da load for 3 wins .. da core 4 are exactly da same as they always were secondary playoff pieces .. this team is where it is at 3 to 1 because of ROR, Sammy, Mo and Schenner
To me Rielly has always been a winner, because his been way better in the playoffs than in the regular season. It's no surprise to me. Off course there is certain limit in his abilities, that he probably never is really top10 defender in the NHL, but in the playoffs his close and almost always close to his best. That makes him winner although team around him doesn't always deliver, but I can't blame Rielly when I complain about our playoffs record.

Last few years I think two core players that get clean sheet from me are Rielly and Nylander. Nylander has been money and effective basically always. He has some tendencies I don't like and he can be frustrating, but still his been usually excellent. Rielly has been the same, usually elevating his game and being effective.

Marner, Tavares and Matthews have been disappointing at times. They could have done more with their talent and have the ability to carry us trough tough games. Matthews and Marner are fairly young so they can still learn, but in my eyes Tavares should have been what ROR is at the moment.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
To me Rielly has always been a winner, because his been way better in the playoffs than in the regular season. It's no surprise to me. Off course there is certain limit in his abilities, that he probably never is really top10 defender in the NHL, but in the playoffs his close and almost always close to his best. That makes him winner although team around him doesn't always deliver, but I can't blame Rielly when I complain about our playoffs record.

Last few years I think two core players that get clean sheet from me are Rielly and Nylander. Nylander has been money and effective basically always. He has some tendencies I don't like and he can be frustrating, but still his been usually excellent. Rielly has been the same, usually elevating his game and being effective.

Marner, Tavares and Matthews have been disappointing at times. They could have done more with their talent and have the ability to carry us trough tough games. Matthews and Marner are fairly young so they can still learn, but in my eyes Tavares should have been what ROR is at the moment.
Rielly's been one of the best D in the playoffs so far. I say this as someone who slung a lot of criticism his way this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad