Tribute Ryan O'Reilly welcome to the Toronto Maple Leafs appreciation thread

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
So do we play him 3 C or top 6 wing?

If the leafs play O'Reilly in the top 6 it would drop Jarnkrok out of the top 6 which would help a lot. I feel like O'Reilly is the perfect fit with Matthews and Bunting can really help Marner and Tavares.

But we could also use a 3C and more balance.

Reactions: NinjaKick

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

If the leafs play O'Reilly in the top 6 it would drop Jarnkrok out of the top 6 which would help a lot. I feel like O'Reilly is the perfect fit with Matthews and Bunting can really help Marner and Tavares.

I think #3 Centre would be great because he can play against other team's top lines, which makes it an easier matchup for Matthews and Tavares.

However, if Keefe needed to move him into the top 6 on the wing during a game, I won't be surprised if that happens.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

IMO this move makes a top 6 wing far less important. Keep ROR at #3C, and spot him in the top 6. It lengthens the Leafs lineup, and creates a matchup nightmare for other teams

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022

The Bergeron line and Kucherov are about to have nightmares after what ROR does to them these playoffs. I don't think a lot of Leaf fans recall just how badly ROR shutdown the Bergeron line in the 2019 SCF.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Just enter the dressing room with the attitude that it is your team and you are a core leader. Be business-like and demanding results from others is important.

Being from Ontario, he knows how big it would be if the Leafs win. Hell, with his Cup and Conn Smythe, a Leafs Cup probbaly puts lands hum in the HOF...that's how impressive it would be in T.O and to the league.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I'd prefer ROR playing in the top six (C or W). I don't see either him or Tavares moving to the wing on a full-time basis though.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
He looks good in Leaf blue.

Honestly this trade just gives us a lot of flexibility.

- ROR can easily slide into 3C and get 'easier' minutes, or play in more of a shutdown role, including the PK.
- Can also slide him up into a LW position, or have him and JT rotate LW/C as needed.
- Acciari is going to really help the 4th line, and can play C if needed and he's good on the draw.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Another underrated aspect they haven't had since Kadri. If Tavares/Matthews miss time in the regular season, they can still trot out Tavares/Matthews-ROR for the top 6.

I hope they can keep him ala Giordano. I was pissed when they traded Kadri but this is a better fit than Kadri for the 3C.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

My guess is 3c. He's too slow to play with JT.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He looks good in Leaf blue.

Honestly this trade just gives us a lot of flexibility.

- ROR can easily slide into 3C and get 'easier' minutes, or play in more of a shutdown role, including the PK.
- Can also slide him up into a LW position, or have him and JT rotate LW/C as needed.
- Acciari is going to really help the 4th line, and can play C if needed and he's good on the draw.
Kerfoots 3.5M can basically go right to RoR if he's serious about being in Toronto for a few years

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Kerfoots 3.5M can basically go right to RoR if he's serious about being in Toronto for a few years
I was playing around with the cap and we can absolutely afford O'Reilly at around 3.5-4.0 per. Depending on performance and chemistry I think something like 3 years, 12 million would make sense. 4 x 4 might be ok but when it gets to the 5 x 5 range is where it gets scary for me as a decline is likely near.

Reactions: hamzarocks

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Another underrated aspect they haven't had since Kadri. If Tavares/Matthews misses time in the regular season, they can still trot out Tavares/Matthews-ROR for the top 6.

I hope they can keep him ala Giodano. I was pissed when they traded Kadri but this is a better fit than Kadri for the 3C.

yeah

Kadri was a bit more finesse as a forward despite being grindy. ROR is more of a power forward and that aligns with JT and Matthews who both just kind of power their way around the zone.

leafs now thicc down the middle

Reactions: kb

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think that too... but I like this a lot:

O'Reilly-Matthews-Nylander
Bunting-Tavares-Marner

however I'm good with him at 3C as well because we can leverage his face-off skills.
I guess we need to see if Knies can claim that spot or if it will amount to chemistry. I like the idea of him being focused on shutting down the Kucherovs and the Pastas of the world.

Reactions: Puckstuff

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Can I just say, I’ve loved ROR as a player for years, always wanted him on my team, going back to Colorado days. Gives it his all, plays a 201 foot game, grit, desire, talent, character and leadership.
I hope he can show our current players that what they thought was 100% effort in previous playoffs was not even close. He can show them what it takes to get over the hump (hopefully) and break this mental block we have as a team. I would have preferred Toews over Kane for that reason had we gone back to the Chicago scenario. We just seem to wait for the shoe to drop instead of kicking the shins of whomever is holding the shoe. Maybe there is hope....maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad