Tribute Ryan O'Reilly welcome to the Toronto Maple Leafs appreciation thread

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Rielly's been one of the best D in the playoffs so far. I say this as someone who slung a lot of criticism his way this season.
His always been one of the best D in the playoffs. Just can't see him leaping into that Makar, Leetch, Lidstrom territory as an individual, but as a player I think his always excelled in the playoffs environment. I hope he get a chance to prove me wrong and can raise his level even more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner, Tavares and Matthews have been disappointing at times. They could have done more with their talent and have the ability to carry us trough tough games. Matthews and Marner are fairly young so they can still learn, but in my eyes Tavares should have been what ROR is at the moment.
Interesting thought! Saying JT "should have been" that is perhaps a bit strong but I was certainly hoping he'd bring exactly what ROR is bringing. If we would have been able to somehow add ROR instead of JT, we'd quite possibly have at least one cup by now.

No disrespect to JT, he's been great, but ROR is something else altogether. He reminds me of Gilmour in that he has that special something that seems to inspire everyone around him and as good as M%M are, they just don't have that quality. I sure as heck hope we can resign him, our cup chances this season are decent but with Boston in cap hell and this magical season behind them, our path to the finals should be easier so if we bring back all the key pieces ...

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think ROR with Nylander could be a realy good combo
Seing the lines i am worried that ROR is so godly that Nylander will scew up his game , just to get to play with him ( Nylander screw up = 3rd line).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To me Rielly has always been a winner, because his been way better in the playoffs than in the regular season. It's no surprise to me. Off course there is certain limit in his abilities, that he probably never is really top10 defender in the NHL, but in the playoffs his close and almost always close to his best. That makes him winner although team around him doesn't always deliver, but I can't blame Rielly when I complain about our playoffs record.

Last few years I think two core players that get clean sheet from me are Rielly and Nylander. Nylander has been money and effective basically always. He has some tendencies I don't like and he can be frustrating, but still his been usually excellent. Rielly has been the same, usually elevating his game and being effective.

Marner, Tavares and Matthews have been disappointing at times. They could have done more with their talent and have the ability to carry us trough tough games. Matthews and Marner are fairly young so they can still learn, but in my eyes Tavares should have been what ROR is at the moment.
Agreed .. da only reason i was surprised with Mo was because of his regular season this year which was worrisome .. his playoff history speaks for itself which is what counts in my books too .. and you are right on about Willy too .. he has not looked as good as he can be this playoffs because he was saddled with JT but he could explode tonight with Matty .. he likely will be game breaker tonight .. Willy and Mo and Kerfoot are 3 fastest guys on team and speed KILLS in playoff hockey when time and space dries up .. Mo and Kerfoot have got us here and I think Willy will finish off Tampa .. lets hope GLG

Reactions: kevsh and deprw

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Interesting thought! Saying JT "should have been" that is perhaps a bit strong but I was certainly hoping he'd bring exactly what ROR is bringing. If we would have been able to somehow add ROR instead of JT, we'd quite possibly have at least one cup by now.

No disrespect to JT, he's been great, but ROR is something else altogether. He reminds me of Gilmour in that he has that special something that seems to inspire everyone around him and as good as M%M are, they just don't have that quality. I sure as heck hope we can resign him, our cup chances this season are decent but with Boston in cap hell and this magical season behind them, our path to the finals should be easier so if we bring back all the key pieces ...
It's a bit strong, but he was brought in as a veteran leader, they made him a captain and gave him big contract. I don't think he has delivered like ROR has and I think his too introvert to that role. I thought he could do it and I always thought this would be anyway more like leadership with committee. Though now it seems that ROR is something that we really lacked, though we should make bigger conclusions after playoffs, but still I think our core was already good enough and just needed that experience & leadership. Tavares was brought in with big contract to do that, but couldn't deliver as we hoped he could.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's a bit strong, but he was brought in as a veteran leader, they made him a captain and gave him big contract. I don't think he has delivered like ROR has and I think his too introvert to that role. I thought he could do it and I always thought this would be anyway more like leadership with committee. Though now it seems that ROR is something that we really lacked, though we should make bigger conclusions after playoffs, but still I think our core was already good enough and just needed that experience & leadership. Tavares was brought in with big contract to do that, but couldn't deliver as we hoped he could.
Or maybe it's on Dubas who should have known what JT is and more importantly, what he isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad