Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly traded to STL for Tage Thompson, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, 2019 1st, 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Even if... does being so overtly pessimistic in your assumptions versus mine change anything?

I'll reserve judgement until I see the roster actually play. And to see if/how much Rochester and the pipeline had improved.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Even if... does being so overtly pessimistic in your assumptions versus mine change anything?

I'll reserve judgement until I see the roster actually play. And to see if/how much Rochester and the pipeline had improved.
What was the last time a team traded one of their best players in a culture move and improved as a result?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What was the last time a team traded one of their best players in a culture move and improved as a result?
I'm a more recent fan of the league and follow the Sabres closer than anyone else... so I dunno. This time?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Colorado, Winnipeg, Toronto, Nashville

There's also not many culture' trades of a teams top player.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Colorado was playing well with Duchene, Winnipeg was bad for multiple seasons, Leafs literally ended last and the player they traded won 2 Cups.

Oh so getting better as a result needs to be immediate? Hark! the sound of slowly shifting goal posts in yonder distance.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm a more recent fan of the league and follow the Sabres closer than anyone else... so I dunno. This time?

I can't wait until Botterill gets credit for Murray's draft picks.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

How many made such of move when they were the worst team in the NHL? Its kind of a unique situation. Most of the bigger players moved for "culture" reasons were moved from successful usually playoff level teams. Where the chance for it to backfire was far greater than is the case here.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Name one.
Really? Zadorov, Armia, Compher. To name a few.

And countless picks themselves. Though I suppose that'd be before they ever had an opportunity to show any potential.

EDIT: Pysyk maybe since he was never really a NHL regular up to that point. McNabb.

EDIT 2: Oh, you probably meant name one of his own picks he's traded. I guess we'll never know, he didn't have time to. :laugh:

Reactions: SabresFan26

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Not sure where you're getting this characterization from. One reporter said he was worth a 2nd (John Shannon). I don't recall much speculation in the national media, outside of Shannon, over what ROR is worth in a trade. Most of the talk was that he would likely be moving on from here.

Multiple people said the following statements or one or the other statement
2nd/3rd line center
worth a 2nd
worth a late 1st
Etc.

Botterill got all of the above and more.

Last edited:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I see no reason to assume that at this point. This isn't NHL 18, there's a human element to hockey (and life) that often result in trades like this. I'm interested to see how things play out next year.
Removing Kane/Lehner alone makes our team better especially in the locker room.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Not sure where you're getting this characterization from. One reporter said he was worth a 2nd (John Shannon). I don't recall much speculation in the national media, outside of Shannon, over what ROR is worth in a trade. Most of the talk was that he would likely be moving on from here.

Not giving him any sort of credit as a credible source or opinion, but this just reminds me...

Remember P-Ham saying he'd only give up like a 2nd round pick if he were a team trading for O'Reilly?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Multiple people said the following statements or one or the other statement
2nd/3rd line center
worth a 2nd
worth a late 1st
Etc.

ROR is a good player, but a little overrated. He's a 2nd/3rd line center making $7.5M/year. According to this fantasy ranking he is ranked 166. Fantasy top 250 rankings for 2018-19

This is a projection based on playing with a better team and his usage.

He is in the Jeff Skinner/Brendan Gallagher zone. These rankings take into account goals, assists, +/-, penalty minutes, power play points and shots on goal.

There are players on this list ranked higher that I wouldn't take over ROR, but there are players on the list ranked lower that I would take over ROR.

It's interesting to note other Sabres ranks...

Eichel - 33
Dahlin - 71
Risto - 120
Reinhart - 138
Hutton - 150
Mitts - 224

Reactions: SabresFan26

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
ROR is a good player, but a little overrated. He's a 2nd/3rd line center making $7.5M/year. According to this fantasy ranking he is ranked 166. Fantasy top 250 rankings for 2018-19

This is a projection based on playing with a better team and his usage.

He is in the Jeff Skinner/Brendan Gallagher zone. These rankings take into account goals, assists, +/-, penalty minutes, power play points and shots on goal.

There are players on this list ranked higher that I wouldn't take over ROR, but there are players on the list ranked lower that I would take over ROR.

It's interesting to note other Sabres ranks...

Eichel - 33
Dahlin - 71
Risto - 120
Reinhart - 138
Hutton - 150
Mitts - 224
ROR is a 1st line center. Using fantasy rankings to determine how good a player is is honestly really dumb, no offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad