Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly traded to STL for Tage Thompson, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, 2019 1st, 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Those are skills not traits.

His skating is fine. It was fine when he was drafted, it's fine now. There's a difference between slowing down the game (something he does) vs skating slow. ROR can skate just fine.

I agree with this. I just think his acceleration is on the bottom end of the spectrum in the NHL. Once he reaches his top end speed he is not that slow. The NHL rink isn't that large, explosive skaters flourish. Those that take awhile to get up to speed have more difficulties.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I agree with this. I just think his acceleration is on the bottom end of the spectrum in the NHL. Once he reaches his top end speed he is not that slow. The NHL rink isn't that large, explosive skaters flourish. Those that take awhile to get up to speed have more difficulties.

It doesn't take him a while to get up to speed. He will never be confused with an explosive skater in terms of acceleration, but he's capable of skating just fine in today's and tomorrow's game.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Make it happen.

He's a fantastic player, we are going to miss him on the team. But the narrative of this trade completely gutting this team is false. We will find suitable replacements. We have his 7.5 million cap hit to find someone close to his talents. I think the biggest issue I have with this trade is the timeline of our playoff window. It got set back another 1-2 years. With ROR/Skinner/Sheary/Dahlin we might have had a chance to make the playoffs as early as this season.

The narrative of the trade is:
The return for the player was f***ing terrible, and the motivating factor (make the lockerroom smile again) was f***ing dumb.

Reactions: Aladyyn

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Thats an understatement. His points/60 5v5 were pretty brutal

He was 242nd of 264 forwards who played 800 or more
He was 127th of 129 forwards who played 100mins or more.

All around tough year.
Those numbers are staggering. I knew he wasn't a guy who drove ES offense but yeesh.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
People need to move onward and upward...ROR is gone, we are better for it, and ready to see a vast improvement overall in 18-19.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
People need to move onward and upward...ROR is gone, we are better for it, and ready to see a vast improvement overall in 18-19.
The impact on next year’s roster was literally turning O’Reilly into Berglund, so no.

That’s kind of why this thread hasn’t died.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The impact on next year’s roster was literally turning O’Reilly into Berglund, so no.

That’s kind of why this thread hasn’t died.
Yeah, I don't get why "we might be better because of a lot of factors" equals "we are better because ROR is gone" when any improvement will absolutely not be driven or even helped by the part of the roster change that has to do with that trade.

Unless, like you say, Berglund suddenly becomes a better hockey player than ROR.

I'd like to see him do the things ROR did to teammates and still put up 61 points in ROR's exact role, but he'd injure himself by game 40 and wind up with about 17 points and a minus-a-billion.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Those numbers are staggering. I knew he wasn't a guy who drove ES offense but yeesh.

Breaking news guy not playing favorable offensive 5 on 5 minutes on bad offensive teams has bad offensive numbers...

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
ror's not on the team anymore y'all. You've all made your opinions known and it's obvious that you're all just gonna keep disagreeing because everyone wants the last word on the internet

all this arguing is a giving me a headache. It's like the worst game of racket ball ever where the ball makes the sound of a fingernails on a chalkboard anytime it hits anything

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I wish a mod would shut this down.

If something comes up that requires discussing, it can be done in the roster thread or the NHL around the league thread :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->