Confirmed with Link: Ryan O'Reilly traded to STL for Tage Thompson, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, 2019 1st, 2021 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Wait the Sabres were pressured to trade O'Reily? Paying a bonus is some serious pressure to trade away your player to a team that lost all their options for a top 6 C to FA?

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Factoring in Berglund's cap hit.... St Louis is paying O'Reilly 3.65 million per season over the next 4 years

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
And we are paying Berglund nothing? Wtf does that even mean.:)
St Louis subtracted 3.85 million over the next 4 years from their payroll in Berglund and added 7.5 million with O'Reilly which equals a net differential of 3.65 million over the next 4 years. I should have said...."Factoring in what Berglund's cap hit in St Louis would have been for the next 4 years"

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
St Louis subtracted 3.85 million over the next 4 years from their payroll in Berglund and added 7.5 million with O'Reilly which equals a net differential of 3.65 million over the next 4 years. I should have said...."Factoring in what Berglund's cap hit in St Louis would have been for the next 4 years"
So? I don't think ROR is 4mil better player than Berglund.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
ROR will be missed. No doubt about it.

However, the more this trade sinks in and I think of the possibilities, the more I don’t dislike it as much.

Sure it’s a lot of IF’s. but

IF Berglund comes in and is a positive vet for the room, while putting up a few seasons of 20 ish goals and 40+ points

AND

IF Thompson becomes a valuable top 6 winger for Jack or Mitts

AND

IF that 1st becomes something of value either via trade or the prospect becoming an NHL player,

we will look back at this move as a W for Botts.

It’s a lot of IF’s, But the chance is there for this to be end up a good trade. Sure the odds of all three things happening isn’t guarenteed, but there’s a chance.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ive seen local media report that Berglund has a 20 team no trade clause but I haven’t seen anyone answer the question if Buffalo wasn’t on the one he gave to the Blues or if they asked him to waive it and he agreed. Either way I’d be interested in finding out why. But I probably never will.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
ROR will be missed. No doubt about it.

However, the more this trade sinks in and I think of the possibilities, the more I don’t dislike it as much.

Sure it’s a lot of IF’s. but

IF Berglund comes in and is a positive vet for the room, while putting up a few seasons of 20 ish goals and 40+ points

AND

IF Thompson becomes a valuable top 6 winger for Jack or Mitts

AND

IF that 1st becomes something of value either via trade or the prospect becoming an NHL player,

we will look back at this move as a W for Botts.

It’s a lot of IF’s, But the chance is there for this to be end up a good trade. Sure the odds of all three things happening isn’t guarenteed, but there’s a chance.
The Blues got a great defensive forward 1c. The only thing lacking of serious note in ROR's game was points, but he still put up a decent number each season.
The Sabres got hosed in this trade. There was no real financial reason to move ROR this season, so I am heavily leaning towards the locker room issues rumor or that the Pegula's would not stand for the statements both mid season and end of season by ROR. Cutting it off before it bleeds in to the youth kind of strategy I reckon.

No matter why however, ROR is gone.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
How much value cost us the 7.5mil the Blues paid in bonus money?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Factoring in Berglund's cap hit.... St Louis is paying O'Reilly 3.65 million per season over the next 4 years

Close, but no. If you're subtracting Berglund from O'Reilly, and using that salary as your figure, you should then say they're paying "the upgrade from Berglund to O'Reilly."

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
lol, what kind of thought is that? RoR is better than berglund, of course he's making more money......

it's like me saying that since the sabres didn't sign JT they're actually paying eichel -1mil a year

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
lol, what kind of thought is that? RoR is better than berglund, of course he's making more money......

it's like me saying that since the sabres didn't sign JT they're actually paying eichel -1mil a year

STL traded Berglund, who was signed for 4 more years, for ROR who’s signed for 5. The money they would’ve been paying Berglund is going to ROR now. They subtracted Berglund’s long-term salary and added ROR’s.

I’ve accepted this trade at this point. Best case scenario is that removing ROR’s vet presence results in Eichel and the other youngsters stepping up.

The pieces we got look like a combination of the Hasek/Miller trade, aka completely forgettable.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
STL traded Berglund, who was signed for 4 more years, for ROR who’s signed for 5. The money they would’ve been paying Berglund is going to ROR now. They subtracted Berglund’s long-term salary and added ROR’s.

I’ve accepted this trade at this point. Best case scenario is that removing ROR’s vet presence results in Eichel and the other youngsters stepping up.

The pieces we got look like a combination of the Hasek/Miller trade, aka completely forgettable.
Definitely not implying that you're doing this here, but without question, if Jack stays healthy for the first time since his rookie year and gets consistent wing play from Sam and Sheary or whatever, he'll put up his 85 point breakout season and it'll be completely independent and irrelevant of, and yet forever tied to, the lack of ROR existing in the locker room as a moody vegan, for some reason.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

we kept eichel and didn't sign tavares, so that 11 mil we were spending on tavares can be used to pay eichel and now eichel's salary is a negative number. we subracted tavares' long term salary and added eichel's

lol i just think it's an odd way to look at it when it's better to just look at the players involved. we get deeper and added vets that can help now while further stocking up on assets.

let's compare the miller/ott trade with the RoR trade.

miller/ott = halak, stewart, carrier, 1st, 3rd

ror = berglund, sobotka, thompson, 1st, 2nd

the ror trade is better without a doubt, even if you want to say that halak/stewart = berglund/sobotka. we get a higher pick, better prospect, and a 2nd vs a 3rd. the salaries were a wash in both deals.

for posterity's sake we can also look at the deal that brought ror to buffalo:

ror = zads, grigorenko, compher, 2nd

about equal to what we got for him from st. lous imo, perhaps we even swinging towards the st. louis trade side

seriously, what were people expecting ror to fetch? paryako + futures? paryako alone would be worth more than RoR considering term, AAV, and the difficulty of having a young top pair d floating around

Last edited:
Reactions: SabresFan26

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
we kept eichel and didn't sign tavares, so that 11 mil we were spending on tavares can be used to pay eichel and now eichel's salary is a negative number. we subracted tavares' long term salary and added eichel's

lol i just think it's an odd way to look at it when it's better to just look at the players involved. we get deeper and added vets that can help now while further stocking up on assets.

let's compare the miller/ott trade with the RoR trade.

miller/ott = halak, stewart, carrier, 1st, 3rd

ror = berglund, sobotka, thompson, 1st, 2nd

the ror trade is better without a doubt, even if you want to say that halak/stewart = berglund/sobotka. we get a higher pick, better prospect, and a 2nd vs a 3rd. the salaries were a wash in both deals.

seriously, what were people expecting ror to fetch? paryako + futures? paryako alone would be worth more than RoR considering term, AAV, and the difficulty of having a young top pair d floating around

People for some reason thought RoR, soon to be third line center making 7.5 million to score most of his goals not at even strength was the best two way player in the league despite getting outscored more than any player in the league last year. A player of such quality his team finished last, he sulked all the time and announced in front of teammates, the media and fans that being here made him lose his love for hockey. That player was supposed to get a player of equal value plus back in return.

Over in reality others of us are very excited to excise the sad sack from the room in which if you are very very quiet you can still here the words “I need to be better” echoing through. Included in that reality is the Sabres GM tasked with not allowing the great leader RoR to infect another batch of top prospects with his utter lack of will to turn things around. A man who must now be despised for giving up the almighty Ryan O’Reilly whose teams he has led to such vast successes in his career that he has been moved out of two organizations where he had issues with other talented players. And counting.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
People for some reason thought RoR, soon to be third line center making 7.5 million to score most of his goals not at even strength was the best two way player in the league despite getting outscored more than any player in the league last year. A player of such quality his team finished last, he sulked all the time and announced in front of teammates, the media and fans that being here made him lose his love for hockey. That player was supposed to get a player of equal value plus back in return.

Over in reality others of us are very excited to excise the sad sack from the room in which if you are very very quiet you can still here the words “I need to be better” echoing through. Included in that reality is the Sabres GM tasked with not allowing the great leader RoR to infect another batch of top prospects with his utter lack of will to turn things around. A man who must now be despised for giving up the almighty Ryan O’Reilly whose teams he has led to such vast successes in his career that he has been moved out of two organizations where he had issues with other talented players. And counting.
It's very impressive that you keep bringing up months old Athletic article and yet you still haven't actually read it.

ceky

Dec 1, 2009
Vienna

not to disagree and no way for us to know, but if we paid the bonus I wonder if ROR + 2nd + 4th for Paryako and Sobotka would have been possible.

that would mean essentially trading blues 1st + our 2nd + our 4th + Thompson + Berglund for Paryako.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

not to disagree and no way for us to know, but if we paid the bonus I wonder if ROR + 2nd + 4th for Paryako and Sobotka would have been possible.

that would mean essentially trading blues 1st + our 2nd + our 4th + Thompson + Berglund for Paryako.

I think Botterill thinks our defense is in better shape currently than most here. I think he was looking for quantity of futures all along.

People are calling 1st round picks “underwhelming” which is hilarious. Reiger and Murray’s use of 1sts really took a toll on people.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Honestly, it seems more likely to me that paying ROR's bonus would've made his price too high to be moved at all. As though teams were genuinely disinterested in ROR for anything more than the pre-bonus asking price.

And since Botts clearly targeted ROR as the guy to move this offseason for one reason or another (locker room issues, send a message, whatever)... it made that midnight bonus deadline all the more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->