Proposal: Ryan O'Reilly to Montreal

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Montreal 1st pick 2018 + Ryan Poehling < -------- > Ryan O'Reilly

Montreal's pick should be 8th-9th. If they don't get Tavares ROR is the next best center. I don't see any team giving up a young C with 1C potential for the 8th OA and Poehling.

Hearing what Bergevin said as a 'rebuild' he says it's a matter of young guys coming as older ones go. Therefore poehling will stay for long time for sure. As he mentioned he has a good potential future with the habs claimed him as "top centre as a rookie"

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Habs have 62.3 m committed next year and i've heard rumors of the cap going as high as 82m so i don't think they'd be too worried about paying a top 6 C 7.5m . Still, you dont give up a top 5 pick because its really your best shot to get an impact player on an elc.

Sign and trade max pac 7.5 x 5 for ror. Pacioretty is the superior player, center the more coveted position. Sabres need a top scorer for Eichel, habs need centers period. add a prospect or a pic if needed but not poeling or the first

Then habs draft a LD and sign Tavares for 11m x 7. at 80m cap habs still have 4m cap space left to sign Danault and some scrubs.

Galchenyuk-Tavares-Gallagher
Droin-ROR-Sherbak
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Hudon-DLR

dahlin/boqvist/hughes/bouchard-weber
mete-petry
alzner-juulsen

Problem is, Buffao would never make that trade

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I won't pretend to know what the Habs plans are...if they are gunning for the quick fix, then i guess go for ROR. I will say this as a Leafs fan...i suffered the quick fix attempts of our last idiot management, in hind sight, i wouldn't consider dealing Nylander (picked at #8) or Marner (picked at #5) for a 27 year old quick fix.

Yeah I think buddy might just not understand the NHL is continuing after the next three years

Reactions: Nitram27

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Holy frig, shut up. You keep saying the same thing and you're not addressing my point at all.

He's white knuckling his keyboard and screaming into an echo chamber, you're not going to get anywhere...

However I think you're wrong on the Drouin trade, didn't see very many Habs fans that were happy about it, less so now

Reactions: Nitram27

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
It should be.

Where you guys will be picking, you'll have a shot at D like Dobson or Bouchard (outside shot at Boqvist) or centers like Lundestrom or Hayton...both 6 footers. Or, if they move Patches...some great wingers.
Correct, our 1st should not be available unless its a massive overpayment

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
He's white knuckling his keyboard and screaming into an echo chamber, you're not going to get anywhere...

However I think you're wrong on the Drouin trade, didn't see very many Habs fans that were happy about it, less so now

Definitely less now, I agree. It's beside the point though, this thread is about the possibility of O'Reilly going to the Habs. I wasn't going to derail it arguing with a whiny idiot.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Definitely less now, I agree. It's beside the point though, this thread is about the possibility of O'Reilly going to the Habs. I wasn't going to derail it arguing with a whiny idiot.

oooooh pooor you. but forth bad ideas and lies and then take offense when people point it out.

You still havent answered if we keep poehling and dont get a real 1C, who mentors him ? Drouin ?
Danault ? Shawsie ?

or we take a young kid tell him hes our only hope and then watch the pressure of montreal grind him to dust.

and he doesnt speak french to save him either as far as I know. quelle domage !

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Montreal 1st pick 2018 + Ryan Poehling < -------- > Ryan O'Reilly

Montreal's pick should be 8th-9th. If they don't get Tavares ROR is the next best center. I don't see any team giving up a young C with 1C potential for the 8th OA and Poehling.
No

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
In Reilly you get a proven commodity. A very good #2C, decent #1C in the right situation, in his prime years. Locked up for 5 more years, and he'll be 31 years old going into the last year so likely still in top form. But his caphit at the moment is not horrible but it's on the high side for a 55-60 pt C.

With the 2-4 pick, you get an 18 year old winger who has more upside, possibly franchise level player... but these are just projections. This player will have 3 years of ELC once he joins the team, and the team getting him SHOULD be able to lock him up till he's 30+ if things go well.

What's worth more? 5 years of a proven top-6 C or 3ELC+8 of a unproven but likely top line winger?
No read what you put down and it should go as ,
What's worth more? 5 years of a proven top-6 C or 3ELC+8 of a unproven but likely top line possibly franchise level winger?
I'll easily keep the pick and Poehling

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Relax... Buffalo isn't trading ROR to Montreal just to watch him match up against Eichel for the next 5 years. And they are definitely not doing it for a 1st and Ryan Poehling :laugh:

Reactions: sabrescupbound

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Relax... Buffalo isn't trading ROR to Montreal just to watch him match up against Eichel for the next 5 years. And they are definitely not doing it for a 1st and Ryan Poehling :laugh:
No worries .Habs management may be bad but there not bad enough to trade a top 3 pick and Poehling for a 2nd line center.:facepalm:

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Trading ROR means that Buffalo will need to reacquire a player like ROR when they exit the rebuild and want to compete for a playoff spot. There’s no good reason to trade ROR from Buffalo’s perspective. He’s signed long term for fair value, he’s producing, and helping take pressure of Eichel and Reinhart. The top 6 isn’t the problem in Buffalo, the bottom 6 and defense is. Buffalo’s lack of depth can be corrected without trading a core player.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Habs will trade you Petry for your 1st rd pick in that case.

It's a statement made within the context of the trade. Obviously it doesn't mean every known player is worth any sort of unknown value. :rolleyes:

With that said:

We'll trade you 32nd overall for Petry

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No worries .Habs management may be bad but there not bad enough to trade a top 3 pick and Poehling for a 2nd line center.:facepalm:

You're right, They are probably bad enough to label ROR a 2nd line center...

Age / Cap / Term
ROR 27 / 7.5 / 5
Toews 29 / 10.5 / 5
Bergeron 31 / 7.25 / 3 yrs

Last 3 years:

Points / Pts per game
ROR : 174 / 0.78
Toews : 168 / 0.74
Bergeon : 182 / 0.82

ES Points
ROR : 100 / 0.45
Toews : 123 / 0.54
Bergeon : 112 / 0.50

Faceoffs Taken / League Rank / Faceoff % & League Rank (Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 5664 / #1 58.3% / #2
Toews : 4678 / #8 58.2% / #3
Bergeon : 5105 / #4 57.9% / #7

Takeaways / League Rank / TK/GV Ratio(Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 168 / #9 / (+75)
Toews : 147 / #19 / (+40)
Bergeon : 184 / #4 / (+98)

Blocked Shots (Centers Min 140 Games & 2000 faceoffs)
ROR : 136 / #22
Toews : 94 / #64
Bergeon : 145 / #17

TOI / League rank (Centers Min 140 Games)
ROR : 21:18 / #1
Toews : 19:40 / #13
Bergeon : 19:34 / #17

SH TOI / League Rank (Centers Min 140 Games)
ROR : 1:58 / #22
Toews : 1:28 / #57
Bergeon : 2:04 / #17

Hopefull that brings some context to Ryan O'reilly's value....

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Our 1st round pick this year is definitely off the table, and we should hold onto Poehling as well. I wouldn't be happy with this trade at all. Maybe something around Galchenyuk+? Sabres might be interested in Juulsen? That would be much more enticing for me as a Habs fan.
Sure let's give up Juulsen, not like we have a ton of dman lying around...

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No, it's not really a difficult choice. A first round pick and your "best" prospect to fill the hole at center ice is actually not that steep a price to pay. It's probably less than what you paid for Drouin, who had no chance of filling that hole but had the proper sounding name.
No it isn't if that 1st rd pick sits around 5-7 but it all changes if it that pick sits at 1st,2nd,3rd and maybe even 4th in this yrs draft.
I keep
Dahlin and Poehling over ROR
Svechnikov and Poehling over ROR
Zadina and Poehling over ROR
and i probably keep
Tkachuk and Poehling over ROR

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
No it isn't if that 1st rd pick sits around 5-7 but it all changes if it that pick sits at 1st,2nd,3rd and maybe even 4th in this yrs draft.
I keep
Dahlin and Poehling over ROR
Svechnikov and Poehling over ROR
Zadina and Poehling over ROR
and i probably keep
Tkachuk and Poehling over ROR

Buffalo keeps ROR over all of those except the Dahlin one.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

so we roll for another 3 years with no 1C or 2C ? I can't imagine how that ends up, its a complete mystery. it could be anything ? it could even be a boat !

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad