Proposal: Ryan O'Reilly to Montreal

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Montreal 1st pick 2018 + Ryan Poehling < -------- > Ryan O'Reilly

Montreal's pick should be 8th-9th. If they don't get Tavares ROR is the next best center. I don't see any team giving up a young C with 1C potential for the 8th OA and Poehling.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Our 1st round pick this year is definitely off the table, and we should hold onto Poehling as well. I wouldn't be happy with this trade at all. Maybe something around Galchenyuk+? Sabres might be interested in Juulsen? That would be much more enticing for me as a Habs fan.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
as of now, the worst Habs can pick is 6th. Still can go as low as 8th, depending on the last two games.

Not sure i would give a pick that high and add our best center prospect for O'Reilly. On the other side, i don't think Buffalo is interested in continuing drafting and drafting and drafting again. I think they would be more interested in a top 4 D in exchange for O'Reilly.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
as of now, the worst Habs can pick is 6th. Still can go as low as 8th, depending on the last two games.

Not sure i would give a pick that high and add our best center prospect for O'Reilly. On the other side, i don't think Buffalo is interested in continuing drafting and drafting and drafting again. I think they would be more interested in a top 4 D in exchange for O'Reilly.

Well they may very well go that route trading for a good D. If they got say the 7th pick from Montreal they'd be able to take a young dman, Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist - one or more of them would be available. Poehling I see as a potential 2C/3C.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Our 1st round pick this year is definitely off the table, and we should hold onto Poehling as well. I wouldn't be happy with this trade at all. Maybe something around Galchenyuk+? Sabres might be interested in Juulsen? That would be much more enticing for me as a Habs fan.

um, no, if the Sabres do decide to shop ROR there will be 15 teams who'll be interested, there would be some very good offers. The question for Buffalo is can we get enough in return to make trading ROR make sense considering how much he does. On the other hand, we've finished dead last with ROR twice so he's not been enough to drag the number of sorry ass players he's surrounded by up, neither has Eichel. I don't think any player would. Edmonton managed to suck with McDavid.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Well they may very well go that route trading for a good D. If they got say the 7th pick from Montreal they'd be able to take a young dman, Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist - one or more of them would be available. Poehling I see as a potential 2C/3C.

Something people often seem to dismiss is that getting Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard would be huge for the Habs as well. We don't want to deal that pick away.

Reactions: jayhabs

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Montreal's pick should be 8th-9th. If they don't get Tavares ROR is the next best center. I don't see any team giving up a young C with 1C potential for the 8th OA and Poehling.
I really like ROR but he's not worth pick #8 and their best prospect (who happens to be a center).

Besides, it's a dumb move for Buffalo as well. EVENTUALLY they need to stop selling NHL players for picks and prospects. I agree ROR should probably be traded but they should try to get a few young nhler's with upside for him.
Look how it worked out for Vegas.

Reactions: Nitram27

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I really like ROR but he's not worth pick #8 and their best prospect (who happens to be a center).

Besides, it's a dumb move for Buffalo as well. EVENTUALLY they need to stop selling NHL players for picks and prospects. I agree ROR should probably be traded but they should try to get a few young nhler's with upside for him.
Look how it worked out for Vegas.

Go take a look at the last decade of picks between 6th and 8th - there is nothing guaranteed with a pick in that range, numerous disappointments and some outright busts. ROR is a elite 2C in his prime. Poehling isn't an 'A' prospect, B+ at best.

You make no sense - you suggest 'a few young NHLers' - 'a few young NHLers' are worth the 6th-8th pick and Poehling. Unless you're suggesting the Sabres would trade a world class player for 3 third line third pair players - which is absurd.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
poehling, a second and a 4th and I'd consider it. Then again I'd rather throw bank at John tavares 12M a year, fine with that

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Go take a look at the last decade of picks between 6th and 8th - there is nothing guaranteed with a pick in that range, numerous disappointments and some outright busts. ROR is a elite 2C in his prime. Poehling isn't an 'A' prospect, B+ at best.

You make no sense - you suggest 'a few young NHLers' - 'a few young NHLers' are worth the 6th-8th pick and Poehling. Unless you're suggesting the Sabres would trade a world class player for 3 third line third pair players - which is absurd.

Well, I don't think he's worth the OP but you're entitled to your opinion.
Just out of curiosity, when was the last time a player was traded for a top-10 lottery pick and a team's best prospect?
Not to mention, ROR's contract is balls.

And for young NHLers (and I mentioned Vegas) I mean players who have a lot of potential but are getting squeezed out on their teams (you know, how Vegas did with guys like Karlsson...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitram27

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

A terrible overpay Montreal. for a second line centre on a last place team. If Montreal has 7.5m to spend on centre, how's this proposal. Severely overpay Stastny at 7m a year for three years, and keep Poehling and the 8th pick.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
A terrible overpay Montreal. for a second line centre on a last place team. If Montreal has 7.5m to spend on centre, how's this proposal. Severely overpay Stastny at 7m a year for three years, and keep Poehling and the 8th pick.

ROR is a legit 1C.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Here's the list, 1/3rd of the players are disappointments/bust, 1/4 are better than O'Reilly. Montreal's such a good drafting team I'm sure they'll find a Derek Pouliot or at best a Couturier who will take 5 years to become what ROR is now.

Nikita Filatov
Colin Wilson
Mikkel Boedker
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Nazem Kadri
Scott Glennie
Brett Connolly
Jeff Skinner
Alexander Burmistrov
Mika Zibanejad
Mark Scheifele
Sean Couturier
Hampus Lindholm
Mathew Dumba
Derrick Pouliot
Sean Monahan
Darnell Nurse
Rasmus Ristolainen
Jake Virtanen
Haydn Fleury
William Nylander
Pavel Zacha
Ivan Provorov
Zach Werenski
Matthew Tkachuk
Clayton Keller
Alexander Nylander

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I do think there is a chance ROR will be traded though I don't know what the asking price will be. There's a few teams that would want him but those teams might be waiting to see what Tavares does. After he signs, a bidding war might happen.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Can Montreal take on ROR's contract along with Price's? I'm quite hesitant on that.

We can sort it out. Obviously preferred would be if there was some cap going to Buffalo in this trade. Really not interested to trade that 1st round pick for ROR though.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I world really like to have ROR in our team ! he would be a perfect fit for Claude Julien system, but I don't think that I would trade our 1st pick + Poehling but I would listen if it's one of those 2 peaces + an other thing

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
We can sort it out. Obviously preferred would be if there was some cap going to Buffalo in this trade. Really not interested to trade that 1st round pick for ROR though.

While that makes sense, there is no shot of any deal happening without a first round pick coming back for O'Reilly. As the trade deadline proved, players with term are more valuable than expiring contracts. So if you go off of Hartman deal that netted a 1st who isn't even on the same career path as O'Reilly is, then sorry no thanks. A Juulsen, Galchenyuk marriage of the minds won't happen either. Both are fine young players, but Gally doesn't have that kind of value. He'll need another year to recoup that sort of return.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I'd consider it but...

- I want to see where the Habs' 1st actually lands.
- I'd be hesitant to move Poehling in the deal... by hesitant I mean I pretty much would not.
- If NYI hasn't signed Tavares by the draft, I'd also want to see what's going on there.
- I'd probably want to send some salary Buffalo's way.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'd consider it but...

- I want to see where the Habs' 1st actually lands.
- I'd be hesitant to move Poehling in the deal... by hesitant I mean I pretty much would not.
- If NYI hasn't signed Tavares by the draft, I'd also want to see what's going on there.
- I'd probably want to send some salary Buffalo's way.

to add ROR AND Tavares would be amazing

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Montreal is currently 3rd last in the NHL. Most point projections have them finishing there at the end of the season. I don't see how 8th or 9th is where their pick should be. Its more likely that they draft in the 3-6 range.

And even in that hypothetical situation, Montreal isn't going to give up that high a first and their best prospect for ROR. And no one is going to give up that price for ROR without at least some salary going the other way.

And no lottery team is going to consider trading their first until after the lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad