Proposal: Ryan O'Reilly to Montreal

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Literally not one single comment makes it seem like I love Poehling. And who in the world is saying 5 years? You're arguing points that nobody is making. The goal is to win a cup, not to make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round. Making this trade would be ridiculously short sighted, and its dumbfounding to me that any single Canadiens fan can say how badly the past two big trades Bergevin has made set the team back, and be EAGER to go out and make one more....
We get poehling and throw him into a vaccum with NO OTHER CENTERS and tell him "good. Luck" and you think that ends favorably? In montreal?

Again, how about no?

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
If the ask was Poehling for Reilly straight up, you'd have a point. Since the price actually being discussed and that you're ignoring is Montreal's 2018 1st (possibly Svechnikov, Zadina or Tkackuk) with Poehling as a throw-in, makes things a bit more difficult, doesn't it?

Maybe keep your Montreal/French bias stereotypes to yourself.
No, it's not really a difficult choice. A first round pick and your "best" prospect to fill the hole at center ice is actually not that steep a price to pay. It's probably less than what you paid for Drouin, who had no chance of filling that hole but had the proper sounding name.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Scouts liked Mcccarron and yakupov.

A center in hand (oreilley) is worth more than two in the bush for a team that CANNOT. Develop centers.
I won't pretend to know what the Habs plans are...if they are gunning for the quick fix, then i guess go for ROR. I will say this as a Leafs fan...i suffered the quick fix attempts of our last idiot management, in hind sight, i wouldn't consider dealing Nylander (picked at #8) or Marner (picked at #5) for a 27 year old quick fix.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I won't pretend to know what the Habs plans are...if they are gunning for the quick fix, then i guess go for ROR. I will say this as a Leafs fan...i suffered the quick fix attempts of our last idiot management, in hind sight, i wouldn't consider dealing Nylander (picked at #8) or Marner (picked at #5) for a 27 year old quick fix.

But they have the pieces in place. They paid for their goalie. They paid for their #1 defenceman. They have good wingers entering there prime that play with no centers. They don't need rebuilt, and they don't have time to develop kids. There time is now. If there's a team that calls for a quick fix, Montreal's the poster child.

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
But they have the pieces in place. They paid for there goalie. They paid for there #1 defenceman. They have good wingers entering there prime that play with no centers. They don't need rebuilt, and they don't have time to develop kids. There time is now. If there's a team that calls for a quick fix, Montreal's the poster child.
Weren't they shopping Patches?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
We are seeing more and more that top drafted players, especially forwards, don't take 5 years to develop anymore.

He's not really a "top prospect". They'd be reaching with that pick. He won't be NHL ready. He'll have to play minors, then AHL. Then come up when he's ready. It could be 2 years, it could be 4-5. I just don't think Montreal has the time to wait.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

I believe we we're excited because we though MB was going to sign Radulov. Having Drouin and Radulov made sense, 2 lines that could score but losing Radulov+Sergachev for Drouin didn't really make any sense.

I agree with that.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Are you really arguing that addressing a persistent need that has been there for more than 5 years, is a "quick fix"? Really?

In the last half decade our best center, by a mile, had been David Deharnais. Let that marinate for a bit.

If we think we have a future center in the pipe, expecting him to walk into the 1C position, cold, in. Montreal might formally make you a sadist.

Even if. Oreiley is a stop gap, it's. Better than taking center lessons from jonathan freaking drouin.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Yeah. Hab nation was clamring for an aphysical small complimentary winger with attitude problems. Bexcuase on the list of needs small complimentary winger was there, somewhere.

No, my memory is apparently better than yours. Most fans liked the trade at the time.

Anyway, it's off topic, and you obviously don't seem interested in having a sensible discussion. So goodbye.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No, my memory is apparently better than yours. Most fans liked the trade at the time.

Anyway, it's off topic, and you obviously don't seem interested in having a sensible discussion. So goodbye.
Most fans were okay acquiring players that were not centers?

Nope. At the postmortem last year no one and I mean no one said that what the habsreally really needed was another undersized winger.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Most fans were okay acquiring players that were not centers?

Nope. At the postmortem last year no one and I mean no one said that what the habsreally really needed was another undersized winger.

Holy frig, shut up. You keep saying the same thing and you're not addressing my point at all.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Holy frig, shut up. You keep saying the same thing and you're not addressing my point at all.
Yeah I should just take your word for it that people liked trading our only trade bait prospect for a player who addressed absolutely zero needs.

Or I can go with what really happened. I choose the latter.

If you can't stand your ridiculous assertions being challenged, you might want to reconsider this whole message board deal.

At least drouin speaks french, amirite?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Montreal 1st pick 2018 + Ryan Poehling < -------- > Ryan O'Reilly

Montreal's pick should be 8th-9th. If they don't get Tavares ROR is the next best center. I don't see any team giving up a young C with 1C potential for the 8th OA and Poehling.
As you wrote this, Montréal's pick would be 1st-6th.

Good show of checking your facts...

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
To the Montreal fans that want draft picks and rebuild, I'll make a hell of a deal with you. I'll give you Middlestadt, Nylander, and Buffalo's 1st from 2019-2025 for Price, Weber, all your wingers, and you take back the cap to make it work.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
If Habs are picking in the 5-6 range Id do ROR + 2018 1st and Scherbak.

We can then draft something like Zadina/Tkachuk and Hughes/Dobson and go from thete. We have one of Asplund/Davidsson hopefully ready for 3C duties for 19-20 and we just need a stopgap UFA bottom 6 center to take on RORs faceoffs/minutes behind Casey and Jack and above Larsson.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
Habs have 62.3 m committed next year and i've heard rumors of the cap going as high as 82m so i don't think they'd be too worried about paying a top 6 C 7.5m . Still, you dont give up a top 5 pick because its really your best shot to get an impact player on an elc.

Sign and trade max pac 7.5 x 5 for ror. Pacioretty is the superior player, center the more coveted position. Sabres need a top scorer for Eichel, habs need centers period. add a prospect or a pic if needed but not poeling or the first

Then habs draft a LD and sign Tavares for 11m x 7. at 80m cap habs still have 4m cap space left to sign Danault and some scrubs.

Galchenyuk-Tavares-Gallagher
Droin-ROR-Sherbak
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Hudon-DLR

dahlin/boqvist/hughes/bouchard-weber
mete-petry
alzner-juulsen

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
to add ROR AND Tavares would be amazing

And pay them with what? You already have Price and Weber locked in for huge salaries over several years. If you can land Tavares (and I don't think he's headed to Montreal), then keep it at that and work out a separate trade for a cheaper 2nd line C.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Habs have 62.3 m committed next year and i've heard rumors of the cap going as high as 82m so i don't think they'd be too worried about paying a top 6 C 7.5m . Still, you dont give up a top 5 pick because its really your best shot to get an impact player on an elc.

Sign and trade max pac 7.5 x 5 for ror. Pacioretty is the superior player, center the more coveted position. Sabres need a top scorer for Eichel, habs need centers period. add a prospect or a pic if needed but not poeling or the first

Then habs draft a LD and sign Tavares for 11m x 7. at 80m cap habs still have 4m cap space left to sign Danault and some scrubs.

Galchenyuk-Tavares-Gallagher
Droin-ROR-Sherbak
Byron-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Hudon-DLR

dahlin/boqvist/hughes/bouchard-weber
mete-petry
alzner-juulsen

I'm not sure if Tavares wants to go to Montreal. I don't think he can speak French.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad