Speculation: Ryan O'Reilly : The Return [no, not that kind of return :(]; Thread 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
CULLEN: WHAT KIND OF VALUE MIGHT O'REILLY BRING IN TRADE?

Colorado Avalanche C Ryan O'Reilly, the lone marquee unsigned restricted free agent, has been the subject of trade talks, with increasing reports in the media, so it seems as good a time as any to look around the league to see what kind of package that Colorado might fetch should they go ahead and deal their talented two-way centre.

First, it needs to be established that Ryan O'Reilly is a very good player, probably better than you think. Especially better than you think if you're one of those who looks at his career and says that he "only" scored 26 points in each of his first two seasons before scoring 55 points last season. Keep in mind, those 26-point seasons were the work of a teenager.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416077

Last edited by a moderator:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sather is even more militant about a low bridge deals for players coming out of a ELC than Avs are. There is no way O'Reilly goes there unless he desperately want to play for the Rangers and accepts a del Zotto type deal (two year $2.5M/year).

So Rangers 'balking' isn't news.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Hockey Chat ‏@TheHockeyChat
Was just told over A DOZEN teams have inquired regarding O'Reilly within the past 48 hours #nhl #avs #trade

O'Reilly talks are heating up - Avalanche are trying to stay patient

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ennis is a one-dimensional dangler, we don't need players of his ilk if we want to compete with the giants of the western conference like San Jose, LAK, Hawks etc.

He's put up 10pts in 14GP vs Bruins much better than anyone of the teams you listed. Also, Kane doesn't seem to be having trouble against the big bad west teams, obviously Kane is better than Ennis but they similar type of players. Small, smart, fast and elusive.

I hope Foligno isn't the main piece. He'll be a 3rd liner tops.

I'm scared of Girgersons since I think he was rushed too quickly and that may set back his development. He shouldn't have gone from the USHL straight to the AHL.

but but he's 6'10!!!1111!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's put up 10pts in 14GP vs Bruins much better than anyone of the teams you listed. Also, Kane doesn't seem to be having trouble against the big bad west teams, obviously Kane is better than Ennis but they similar type of players. Small, smart, fast and elusive.

My biggest issue with Ennis is that I don't think he will stay or should stay as a center throughout his career. Yeah he can manage in that spot, but I think he will end up being a LW and a dynamic one at that. Not a terrible thing, but that really isn't a huge need when we are healthy. I'd take him just to inject some skill on to this team though. It isn't my ideal return, but I wouldn't be unhappy with it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's fine push him to the wing(although I don't necessarily agree that he can't play full time C) who do the avs have that's better than Ennis as a winger save for Landy? NOBODY.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
My biggest issue with Ennis is that his first name is...Tyler

39_tyler_arnason_-_getty.0_standard_352.0.jpg

MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!!!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's fine push him to the wing(although I don't necessarily agree that he can't play full time C) who do the avs have that's better than Ennis as a winger save for Landy? NOBODY.

Depends on the style of play, and I'd argue PAP is better ATM (though Ennis has a much higher ceiling that where PAP has leveled off). There is no way Ennis would survive as a center with Sacco (certain other coaches maybe, but I have my doubts). That is neither here nor there. Ennis would look great on a Ennis-Duchene-PAP line (each would probably be 70+ point players). Then the second line could be McGinn-Stastny-Landeskog. That would be a very solid top 6.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Was just told over A DOZEN teams have inquired regarding O'Reilly within the past 48 hours #nhl #avs #trade

O'Reilly talks are heating up - Avalanche are trying to stay patient

*chant* Bidding war! Bidding war! Bidding war!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Agree. with Ennis as a LW that would make a possible 3rd line of McGinn-Mitchell (orFA)- Downie.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
How about Little + Trouba? I still think that it would be considered "overpayment" but maybe not as much as Burmi + Trouba.

Agreed on both points. Trouble is I think we have Little slotted in at #1 RW for the future. Not so sure about that.

What would the Jets be looking at as a potential addition to get that type of return?

Draft picks are always nice, Cheveldayoff seems to be a hoarder. Maybe a young top 4 LHD, which is probably what you guys are looking for. 3rd line LW would be good. Also upgrading our picks a round or two would be swell. A 2nd for your 1st next year, or something along those lines.

There's potential for a trade here, I hope the Jets are one of the teams making calls. Not perfect trading partners, but there is a possibility.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's an unlikely team to trade with but I could see Avs really liking Peter Holland as a player.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Im pretty confident management will get more then fair return for the guy.

Teams will end up trading for his potential(a 70 Point, Selke Center). Whether or not he reaches that potential is unknown, but we'll get good value for him.

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Good Luck you guys hope you get some good players for o'reilly..

Don't trade with us we will screw you over

remember we got a 1st round pick for paul gaustad.

Regier will use his Jedi mind tricks on you guys drew stafford,Gerbe , tj brennan for o'reilly

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
I really hope we trade with NYI. Lots of good players or prospects there. Grabner, Nino Niederreiter, Griffin Reinhart, Strome, DeHan are all intriguing

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I really hope we trade with NYI. Lots of good players or prospects there. Grabner, Nino Niederreiter, Griffin Reinhart, Strome, DeHan are all intriguing

Tavares does look like he's frustrated (similar to Duchene this year) and the Isles need to get him some help.

Last edited:

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Tavares does look like he's frustrated (similar to Duchene this year) and the Isles need to get him some help. I'd avoid Da Haan though, Think he's had shoulder injuries 3 years running. Being on the Avs would cost him an arm (and maybe a leg):laugh:

He needs PAP.

ROR+ pick for Tavares!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad