Value of: Ryan O’Reilly

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Won't lie, most Avs fans are glad to have someone else dealing with this after all the years we had to do it.

Then again, some of those ROR to Buffalo threads went that direction a lot too.

I am fully willing to admit I underestimated ROR before we got him. I just honestly didn't watch enough of the WC games to get a clear picture. I'd like to think I wasn't unreasonable in my posts at the time but to be honest, I could have been.

Reactions: AslanRH

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Correct. He was a near certain / elite young NHLer. A top 5 under 21 NHLer.
Try again. At the time he was more akin to what Noah Hanifin is seen as now - a guy who was picked high with high expectations that have not been met and that some folks are starting to get antsy about but who still stands a pretty good chance of doing awesome.

Also, Johansen was 23 at the time. O'Reilly is 27.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
some of these offers are cringeworthy, a Defensively responsible 60 point centre who plays in all situations, love RoR, to be fair he's maybe overpaid by like 500-750k. but with the way the cap is going, he's worth it.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
some of these offers are cringeworthy, a Defensively responsible 60 point centre who plays in all situations, love RoR, to be fair he's maybe overpaid by like 500-750k. but with the way the cap is going, he's worth it.

One could say he's underpaid due to the fact that quite a few of his piers make a lot more then he does. All matters how you look at it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Oh my goodness the delusion in this thread.

O'Reilly isn't worth $7.5m, never was. His 5v5 production is awful.

He's worth 7.5M. 7.5M under an 80M cap isn't what it used to be. While he isn't elite offensively, he's one of the better all around centres in the league and usually produces in a low end 1st line range. There's also a premium on what centres are paid vs wingers. In a league where top level third line centers get 4M as UFAs, and 2nd line guys exceed 5M, O'Reilly is worth 7.5M.

His contract was also front loaded. So for certain teams who aren't cap teams, he only has one more year at big money, and then he is locked down at 6M per for four seasons. In fact, if a team acquires O'Reilly later in the off season after Buffalo covers his bonus, they'd only be on the hook for 1M next season.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Wasn't Seth Jones like a 60% CF player dragging around Barret Jackman's corpse during the season he was traded?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
ROR set the all time record for most faceoffs won in a single season last night.

So, clearly he’s worth 10 million per year for the next 17 years

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Try again. At the time he was more akin to what Noah Hanifin is seen as now - a guy who was picked high with high expectations that have not been met and that some folks are starting to get antsy about but who still stands a pretty good chance of doing awesome.

Also, Johansen was 23 at the time. O'Reilly is 27.

Try again. At the time, a good GM like Keikalainen saw him as a franchise defensemen, and thus was willing to trade a young #1 center for him.

I don’t see Hanifin as a franchise defensmen, and thus won’t be trading a young #1 center for him.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Corsica's WAR stat has ROR as 18th most valuable NHL skater this season btw
334c0922be.png

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wasn't Seth Jones like a 60% CF player dragging around Barret Jackman's corpse during the season he was traded?
Yow. I'd forgotten that was the Jackman year. Yes, he sure was. :scared:

* * *​
Try again. At the time, a good GM like Keikalainen saw him as a franchise defensemen, and thus was willing to trade a young #1 center for him.

I don’t see Hanifin as a franchise defensmen, and thus won’t be trading a young #1 center for him.
...are you seriously comparing your evaluation skills to those of Jarmo Kekalainen?

And Kekalainen was interested in a #1D, or at least top-pairing. Franchise-level didn't seem realistic for Joey.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Probably a young dman, high end prospect, high 2nd rounder and a Russian depth player :sarcasm:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If Buffalo's not going back into rebuilding mode, then I don't see them trading O'Reilly anyway. The one good player that has any chance of being traded would be Reinhart IMO. And that would be to fill holes in other area's.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If Buffalo's not going back into rebuilding mode, then I don't see them trading O'Reilly anyway. The one good player that has any chance of being traded would be Reinhart IMO. And that would be to fill holes in other area's.

They haven't left rebuilding mode, they are still terrible. Just because the team is bad also doesn't mean they are rebuilding if they aren't improving then they are just staying bad. From an outsiders perspective the team has had ~2 actual NHL defenders over the past 6 seasons and has yet to even begin to address it, while continuing to draft small forwards with high picks. Until they fix that they are screwed and there is 0 chance they will be competitive while RoR is in his prime.

It will take 2-3 years to fix the issues in Buf and that's if they do it right and get lucky. Trading RoR for assets could really go a long way and wasting as few of Eichels prime years should be top priority for that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad