Value of: Ryan O’Reilly

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
if he’s on the market what kind of defenseman could Buffalo get for him?

Preferably a 1 for 1 deal, or maybe someone where a small plus needed to be added (to either side depending on the player in return).

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Would Carolina do something around Pesce and Rask? I'm not all that interested in Faulk.

Canes just signed Pesce to a 7 year deal @ $4 million per season. Seriously doubt they trade him as he slots in well on the 1st pair next to Slavin (who got an 8 year deal).

Hanifin or Faulk are more likely to go. I’d guess they look for a younger player with more offensive upside in a Hanifin deal but who knows.

~#11 OA pick + McKeown for ROR is a deal I’d offer.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Brodie would be an obvious one.

I don't even know his value anymore. This year obviously hurt his value but put him on the right side and tell him to skate and you guys would love him. I don't watch Buffalo enough to know their offensive problems but if it's zone entries and transition. He's your man.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Canes just signed Pesce to a 7 year deal @ $4 million per season. Seriously doubt they trade him as he slots in well on the 1st pair next to Slavin (who got an 8 year deal).

Hanifin or Faulk are more likely to go. I’d guess they look for a younger player with more offensive upside in a Hanifin deal but who knows.

~#11 OA pick + McKeown for ROR is a deal I’d offer.

And Buffalo would laugh and block your number

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Brodie would be an obvious one.

I don't even know his value anymore. This year obviously hurt his value but put him on the right side and tell him to skate and you guys would love him. I don't watch Buffalo enough to know their offensive problems but if it's zone entries and transition. He's your man.

No, too old and too much of a question mark. If Buffalo trades O'Reilly, it means there going to rebuild again. That trade wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No, too old and too much of a question mark. If Buffalo trades O'Reilly, it means there going to rebuild again. That trade wouldn't make sense.

He's 27.

At some point you have to actually try to win or you'll end up like Edmonton's first rebuild.

That defense is just terrible.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Should be a bottom 10 like 7,8, 9th overall or mid 1st rounder plus a good prospect
Add in another B tier asset to sweeten

O'Reilly can bring back better then that. Your chances of ever picking someone near O'Reilly's talent is about 25% with a pick in the bottom 10. Try a bottom 10 pick + A good prospect. Colorado was kind of forced to trade him and they still got a great prospect, 2 good prospects, and a 2nd.

Last edited:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
O'Reilly can bring back better then that. Your chances of ever picking someone near O'Reilly's talent is about 25% with a pick in the bottom 10. Try a bottom 10 pick + A good prospect. Colorado was kind of forced to trade him and they still got a great prospect, 2 good prospects, and a 2nd.
Isnt that what i said? I said a pick in that bottom ten range plus a good prospect and a touch more to sweeten the deal like a B- prospect or a 2nd

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I like ROR but his contract is on the ugly side and the Jets likely can’t afford his cap hit.....but he would be a good 2C/3C on the Jets.

Reactions: north49er

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I like ROR but his contract is on the ugly side and the Jets likely can’t afford his cap hit.....but he would be a good 2C/3C on the Jets.

A great defensive center locked up in his prime years that can get 60 points with no wingers isn't worth 7.5 a year? He'd make a good 3rd line center? Lmao. Yeah, ok. He'd be the best third line center ever to play the position since he's a first line center.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Provided Carolina doesn't win the lottery for one of the top 3 picks. How about:
Canes 1st OA (around #11)
+ Elias Lindholm or Victor Rask (Still young, ~45-50 point capable centers to fill a 3C role with Eichel and Reinhart/Middlestat taking the 1C/2C)
+ Jake Bean or Haydn Fleury.

Many (most?) Canes fans will say no way, but I like ROR more than most of them. Admittedly, it's probably too much with Lindholm/Rask AND Bean/Fleury and the 1st though.

Reactions: Penaltykiller17

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Provided Carolina doesn't win the lottery for one of the top 3 picks. How about:
Canes 1st OA (around #11)
+ Elias Lindholm or Victor Rask (Still young, ~45-50 point capable centers to fill a 3C role with Eichel and Reinhart/Middlestat taking the 1C/2C)
+ Jake Bean or Haydn Fleury.

Many (most?) Canes fans will say no way, but I like ROR more than most of them. Admittedly, it's probably too much with Lindholm/Rask AND Bean/Fleury and the 1st though.
Now this makes some sense. If ROR's traded, this is the type of package Buffalo will be looking for.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
A great defensive center locked up in his prime years that can get 60 points with no wingers isn't worth 7.5 a year? He'd make a good 3rd line center? Lmao. Yeah, ok. He'd be the best third line center ever to play the position since he's a first line center.

Hmmmm, you missed the part where I said 2C/3C? He wouldn’t get a sniff at 1C on the Jets and wouldn’t even be gifted the 2C spot we currently have Little & Paul S both producing at a similar rate and very good defensively & face off guys....but I agree ROR would be the clear favourite to win 2C spot. Yes his contract is ugly....Mark S makes 6.15 million is clearly ahead of ROR, ROR is paid at least 1 million per year too much imo. Plus it’s not just about the cap hit that makes his contract ugly....his contract is also lockout & buyout proof which is ugly.

That all being said I would still trade for him but his contract is a negative overall. But it’s very unlikely it would happen ever b/c of the cap hit issue, his cap is massive. It would require a trade to be very creative to make it work and Sabres would need to take big cap hit back.....all very unlikely imo. Good player though, props to him.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
You did get Scheifele on a great deal for sure. But you got him as a RFA, not a UFA. I think it's more you got Scheifele on a great deal then O'Reilly's on a bad one. When Scheifele becomes an UFA, you'll probably pay double then what he's making now. If he became a free agent right now, your looking at least 10 mil a year. And if you somehow got O'Reilly, you'd have the deepest center depth since Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. That would be one hell of a team down the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: north49er

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The big money in O'Reilly's contract has already been eaten by the Sabres for the most part. $11M in year 1, $9M in year 2.

Next year he gets $8.5M and then it's only $6M / year after that. For some teams, the Cap hit is the most important, but for probably 2/3rds+ of the teams in the league, the cap hit won't matter and the actual dollars will.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
You did get Scheifele on a great deal for sure. But you got him as a RFA, not a UFA. I think it's more you got Scheifele on a great deal then O'Reilly's on a bad one. When Scheifele becomes an UFA, you'll probably pay double then what he's making now. And if you somehow got O'Reilly, you'd have the deepest center depth since Crosby, Malkin, and Staal. That would be one hell of a team down the middle.

Contract debate aside, I do like ROR but I’m not sure if he would be the best fit with Ehlers & Laine.....not sure. Sure his defensive awareness would be great for that line but I’m not sure offensively ROR would work great with them. Laine/Ehlers often play the east/west game, which Little didn’t fit well into and all three production hurt bc of it until they were split up. That why Paul S works so well with them, great at the dot, good defensively and can play east/west game. In your opinion how do you think ROR would play/fit with two east/west guys?

Overall I like his game a lot, just not sure he would be the ideal pick at C for Ehlers/Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad