Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
7367348.jpg

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can anyone link me to the video/audio when Hrudey said that garbage about RNH? I have to hear it to get full effect.

I'd like to hear it again too - I legitimately choked on my drink when he said that and spent the next two or three minutes coughing and spluttering so I missed what followed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
One weird stat for Nuge is how much more productive he has been on the road this year than at home. He has 31 road points which puts him 8th in the league for centers behind Tavares, Johnson, Crosby, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Giroux and Sedin.

Earlier in his career the stats were very much reversed since he could get favourable match-ups at home.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Now I am happy with RNH's production. This is the level of production you should be getting with a 1st overall pick, obviously it's not going to be this high all the time.

Hopefully he can take the next step next season and finish around 24-27G and 70P+.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
One weird stat for Nuge is how much more productive he has been on the road this year than at home. He has 31 road points which puts him 8th in the league for centers behind Tavares, Johnson, Crosby, Getzlaf, Backstrom, Giroux and Sedin.

Earlier in his career the stats were very much reversed since he could get favourable match-ups at home.

As Edmonton's best matchup now, as opposed to Horcoff, i'd imagine teams are actually trying to get their top centers away from Nuge given the last change. Given Edmonton's lack of depth it's doubtful that another teams depth lines are going to fair worse against Nuge's line that their first will against Edmonton's depth lines. I don't actually know for sure but it would make sense to me if he was actually getting tougher minutes at home now.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
I will say I definitely had my doubts about Nuge earlier in the year, but I will eat my words happily on this one. Guy has been on another level as of late. Very happy with his progression. Hope he can continue to develop (still looks like a twig). He'll be a late bloomer physically and when that happens he will be one of the most dominant centers in the league IMO

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Fun stat:

Since Hrudey's comments (February 7th), RNH and John Tavares lead all NHL centers in points (February 8th to March 24th).

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...gent-hopkins-fellow-is-pretty-good-at-hockey/

Verify for yourself here:
http://war-on-ice.com/playertable.html

I can't wait til we get a 2nd line center.

I just don't understand how Hrudey hasn't been fired. He doesn't even know goalies, let alone forwards. When you badly critique a goalie, who, later that year, goes on to set playoff records, and win the Conn Smythe, you shouldn't be on TV

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
You know that this type of scenario played out with Savard and the Blackhawks right?

Just saying.

If these guys can keep up what they're doing, I still think that this team has a chance of becoming a really good team.

We have been hanging with the big dogs for the most part.

I guess we see next year...again. :shakehead

#justtryingtobepositive..again...for the umpteenthtimeinarow

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I just don't understand how Hrudey hasn't been fired. He doesn't even know goalies, let alone forwards. When you badly critique a goalie, who, later that year, goes on to set playoff records, and win the Conn Smythe, you shouldn't be on TV

I thought he was better when he was well prepared for little bits between periods on HNIC. He could do his homework and present some ideas that at least made sense some of the time. No doubt he was given a lot of help by others to not sound like an idiot. This is like many years ago though, I forget when he was still doing behind the mask and those little things.

Now though, I think he's just slacking it and only really cares about catering to the calgary flames crowd cause he mainly does their games now. Seems very poorly uninformed about anything else. Totally agree, he should be done on TV. But, get rid of Healy first :)

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Now I am happy with RNH's production. This is the level of production you should be getting with a 1st overall pick, obviously it's not going to be this high all the time.

Hopefully he can take the next step next season and finish around 24-27G and 70P+.

That production, plus his tough opposition and huge minutes playing 2-way...would be incredible. It would make him a lock for all star games and team canada every year. Those are Toews-like #s.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Seems like a lot of people have lower opinions on RNH after this past season (see all the RNH vs Monahan threads). The few oilers games I've watched this year (post Eakins) he has looked great. Wanted to get oilers fans' opinion on whether you think he has broken out already and will hover around the .7-.8ppg pace for the rest of his career (despite only being 22) or if he still has a lot of potential. Whats are reasonable expectations for this guy in the next couple of years?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Personally don't care about his point production. He's become Datsyuk this very season... I'm loving his two-way game and he plays on the PK. I hated how soft he was on the puck previously.

Hall's game has not progressed as quickly. I suspect he might be trade bait.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems like a lot of people have lower opinions on RNH after this past season (see all the RNH vs Monahan threads). The few oilers games I've watched this year (post Eakins) he has looked great. Wanted to get oilers fans' opinion on whether you think he has broken out already and will hover around the .7-.8ppg pace for the rest of his career (despite only being 22) or if he still has a lot of potential. Whats are reasonable expectations for this guy in the next couple of years?

His ES production went up, with improved production from the blueline and a better PP next season his stats should continue to rise.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I thought he was better when he was well prepared for little bits between periods on HNIC. He could do his homework and present some ideas that at least made sense some of the time. No doubt he was given a lot of help by others to not sound like an idiot. This is like many years ago though, I forget when he was still doing behind the mask and those little things.

Now though, I think he's just slacking it and only really cares about catering to the calgary flames crowd cause he mainly does their games now. Seems very poorly uninformed about anything else. Totally agree, he should be done on TV. But, get rid of Healy first :)

The moral of this story? Most goalies are nutters and shouldn't be given announcer jobs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad