Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Sorry if theres already a thread dedicated to the Nuge, but I haven't seen one recently. Just gotta say that RNH has really stepped up his game this season and is starting to play like a real elite #1 centre. He's been one of the few bright spots so far this year and he looks much stronger and faster than ever before. I know Hall is the driver and most valuable player on this team, but I truly believe Nuge is getting close to that level too. He was so dominant last night against the Rangers. What do you guys think... is this the breakout year we see from Nuge where he emerges to be a top player in the league?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He deserves his own thread. His play has been really good this season and last night was an elite game. I think he is making the step from being a promising but sometimes underwhelming player, to full on great player.

He is showing the ability to carry a line and do it against the leagues best lines. Offensively he is back to looking super dangerous, either from a ridiculous pass, or from his elite shot (which seemingly came out of nowhere). But by far his best trait that will set him apart from other good players is puck possession and puck management. He is always in control of the puck, even if he makes a little chip to get around a guy hes getting the puck back. In comparison Hall is more of a reckless player with the puck and relies on speed to get around guys, but loses the puck to poke checks more. When RNH has the puck, its going to go to a good spot.

Defensively he is also back to looking good. He is always aware out there an gets in great position. Now that's hes no longer 100 pounds he can use his body to separate guys. Should he keep it up I could see him getting a few selke votes (but finish in 6th or 7th)

We may very well be seeing the development of an elite player. What kind of sucks is that with the shoulder injury this could have happened 2 years ago, but now is good too. If he keeps his play up hes going to be a VERY good player

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Last night was by far the best game I've seen from Nuge since his rookie season. He is taking over games, and in my eyes in more dominant fashion than Hall. He can control the play both offensively and defensively. His speed is insane now, he was flying up the ice yesterday and his shot has gotten to near elite levels. He was out muscling nearly everyone last night and he didn't look weak by any point. This guy will lead our team in a few years

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think he plays way better with Eberle and Pouliot. Without Hall, Nuge gets to be the driver and control the pace. He's been setting up Pouliot for good scoring opportunities on multiple occasions throughout the 3 games they have played so far.

I love Hall but he can create 80 pts by himself it seems and at this point I wonder if the team is better off letting Nuge run with Pouliot and Ebs and putting Hall with players that could use a boost. Players such as Perron, Yak, Arcobello.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think he plays way better with Eberle and Pouliot. Without Hall, Nuge gets to be the driver and control the pace. He's been setting up Pouliot for good scoring opportunities on multiple occasions throughout the 3 games they have played so far.

I love Hall but he can create 80 pts by himself it seems and at this point I wonder if the team is better off letting Nuge run with Pouliot and Ebs and putting Hall with players that could use a boost. Players such as Perron, Yak, Arcobello.

I think the issue is because both need to have the puck at all times, and there is only one puck to go around. Both also play pretty different games.

When RNH has the puck, he is patient and always looking for an option. He is neither a shoot first or pass first player, just whichever one is right. Pouliout and Eberle are a good fit because both can find open space to get open for him. They are also good at giving the puck back to RNH after (see the goal last night)

Hall is much more of a north/south player where when he gets the puck he is booking it down the ice and getting a shot off. He has shown the ability to put up assists, but his game is way more focused on getting pucks on net.

I think they have conflicting styles because when RNH passes to Hall, hes likely not getting the puck back, so his effectiveness is limited. RNH needs to be the driver on a line to have the puck the majority of the time. Early in nuges career they worked out because RNH was good at getting the initial pass to Hall, so Hall scored a lot.

Now Hall would work better with an Arco or Draisaitl, who are better off giving the puck to Hall. And RNH is better with a Pouliot.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
slowly turning from good, young talent to an elite all-round center...he's a man now and starting to prove he's the best player on the ice

also, I'd take a complete 2-way center that gets 65 points over an offensive 80 point machine that doesn't plays a complete game (Spezza)

not there yet, but turning into a "driver" more and more

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Nuge is turning into a star before our very eyes. In 1-2 years time (after gaining further strength and experience) he will be the Oilers best and most important player (IMO).

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
Nuge is truly a #1 pick.

I love this kid. He is a thief out there some nights!

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think the issue is because both need to have the puck at all times, and there is only one puck to go around. Both also play pretty different games.

When RNH has the puck, he is patient and always looking for an option. He is neither a shoot first or pass first player, just whichever one is right. Pouliout and Eberle are a good fit because both can find open space to get open for him. They are also good at giving the puck back to RNH after (see the goal last night)

Hall is much more of a north/south player where when he gets the puck he is booking it down the ice and getting a shot off. He has shown the ability to put up assists, but his game is way more focused on getting pucks on net.

I think they have conflicting styles because when RNH passes to Hall, hes likely not getting the puck back, so his effectiveness is limited. RNH needs to be the driver on a line to have the puck the majority of the time. Early in nuges career they worked out because RNH was good at getting the initial pass to Hall, so Hall scored a lot.

Now Hall would work better with an Arco or Draisaitl, who are better off giving the puck to Hall. And RNH is better with a Pouliot.

I see it the same way. It's a mismatch of skills. So the team might be better served breaking them up.

Something like...

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Arcobello - Yakupov
Purcell - Draisaitl - Perron
Joensuu - Gordon - Hendricks

You can still put Nuge and Hall together on the Power Play if that what works better.

We might find more offense spreading out our top players and letting the other players pick up some of the offensive slack.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I completely agree with separating Hall and RNH.

If both players can go on Beast Mode and carry their lines, we will win a lot of games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would argue hes our most important player this year (not best just yet).

But I think even Datsyuk would be surprised at some of Nuges takeways this season

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I see it the same way. It's a mismatch of skills. So the team might be better served breaking them up.

Something like...

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

You can still put Nuge and Hall together on the Power Play if that what works better.

We might find more offense spreading out our top players and letting the other players pick up some of the offensive slack.

I agree with these lines. Get Draisaitl with 2 vets, get Yak with Hall and a defensively responsible Arco, let RNH be the go to guy on a line with a bigger body and a good shooter

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think the other problem with play with Hall (imo) is that he seems to go in a default defensive mind set where he's not as aggressive because Hall is doing that part. Not that he doesn't get chances or anything but I don't know if he feels he needs to compensate for his line mates defensive deficiencies.

I think Arco is better sacrificed for that role, we lose less.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
In the season that Eberle turned 22, he had a breakout year of 76 points. In the season that Hall turned 22 years old, he became a point per game player. This season Nuge turns 22 and is showing the same signs of breaking out.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Was going to highlight a part but really this whole thing nails it

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
RNH seems to have found another gear this season, he is really skating out there.

Plus his shot seems quite a bit better, not to metion he's 49% on faceoffs.... Looks like he's starting to come into his own.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
nuge has been shooting a lot more, he has hit 6 or 7 posts this year. If he scores on those 6 instead of ringing iron he is tied for the league lead in goals. As soon as teams recognize his shooting ability it will free up so much space for what he is truly great at. dishing the puck.

ive always thought hall and nuge should be on seperate lines.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I agree with these lines. Get Draisaitl with 2 vets, get Yak with Hall and a defensively responsible Arco, let RNH be the go to guy on a line with a bigger body and a good shooter

I'm on board with this too. It's rare for teams today to load up three stars on one line anyway. And if we can insulate Drai some more, all the better.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
nuge has been shooting a lot more, he has hit 6 or 7 posts this year. If he scores on those 6 instead of ringing iron he is tied for the league lead in goals. As soon as teams recognize his shooting ability it will free up so much space for what he is truly great at. dishing the puck.

ive always thought hall and nuge should be on seperate lines.

The shot against Nashville ( I think that's who), where he rang it off the cross bar and they had to review it was amazing. Just a simply rush but he let go a rocket from the top of the circle that no one (including the goalie), saw coming. The shot completely beat the goalie but hit the wrong part of the bar. Had that gone in that would have been a highlight reel shot.

His shot is so good this year because he needs no time to load it up, he can get it away even when there is a tight gap.

The other good goal was when he was on a 2 on 1 and both the goalie and D were thinking pass since its RNH, then he let go a bullet that the goalie had no shot on saving

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
One nice thing to notice about both Hall and RNH: Of the 20 points they've garnered between them, 17 were at even strength. Instead of feasting off PP situations, they're driving possession and generating offense in more difficult situations.

When RNH is playing like this, I imagine it must be a complete nightmare for an opposing center to deal with how RNH can be so relentless in trying to get the puck back from you, especially now that he's got some strength to make it happen.

I just cross my fingers that his shoulder holds up. He looks far more dangerous coming down the ice, and is now looking to score on his own every bit as much as dishing it to a linemate. The more I think about it, the more I agree that at least trying RNH and Hall on different lines might work out better for both players and be better for the team as a whole. There's certainly no harm in trying it out.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
The shot against Nashville ( I think that's who), where he rang it off the cross bar and they had to review it was amazing. Just a simply rush but he let go a rocket from the top of the circle that no one (including the goalie), saw coming. The shot completely beat the goalie but hit the wrong part of the bar. Had that gone in that would have been a highlight reel shot.

His shot is so good this year because he needs no time to load it up, he can get it away even when there is a tight gap.

The other good goal was when he was on a 2 on 1 and both the goalie and D were thinking pass since its RNH, then he let go a bullet that the goalie had no shot on saving

I also loved his end to end goal against Philly. Haven't seen Nuge score many goals like that before. But with his speed now, I'm hoping to see many more goals like that.

I know its still early, but he's on pace for over 30 goals this year.

Ogopogo*

The biggest difference in the Nuge's game is that he now plays at NHL speed. Until this season, he was still at WHL speed.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
With his play this year... His shot, his playmaking, his speed, his strength, his 2-way play and his much improved faceoff, I finally feel comfortable saying that the Oilers have a true 1C

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site

Something like...

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Looks like RNH can be the 2 way catalyst for a line without needing Hall to help and Hall with yak could be such a hard line to play against....specially if they had a big physical centre between them

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad