Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Honestly I truly don't. But after the constant heckling and bashing of us and our players, I would love to rub it in their faces. Even winning the draft lottery for McDavid will make me laugh, simply because that would piss people off. He's ours to ruin. Sorry Buffalo and Arizona.

this is the danger probably. If the Oilers get good, there's going to be a lot of repressed Oiler fans who suddenly feel powerful and could become the most hated and obnoxious fanbase to ever exist in any sport! :laugh:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
this is the danger probably. If the Oilers get good, there's going to be a lot of repressed Oiler fans who suddenly feel powerful and could become the most hated and obnoxious fanbase to ever exist in any sport! :laugh:

We will have good reasons to be obnoxious after the constant heckling from other fanbases and media then. :)

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

We will have good reasons to be obnoxious after the constant heckling from other fanbases and media then. :)

Not that I condone acting like an asshat, but HF is making itself one hell of a Dr. Frankenstein in this respect.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Not that I condone acting like an asshat, but HF is making itself one hell of a Dr. Frankenstein in this respect.

Yak to MTL for Fucale, Beaulieu, and a pick. Rejected = Yak bust fest. Haters have gone quiet on him ever since. And you know who exactly I'm referring to.
HF ripped on the Hall long term deal. Results? Hall's been one of the best wingers and his contract is a bargain compared to what elites are making right now.
Eakins wasn't the problem! Clearly he was, and it has shown with how players and systems look under Nelson.
Then I look at the Draisaitl and Bennett crap. If the oilers took Bennett, you could bank on the fact that we would get ripped on for taking a smaller player. Bennett ends up with shoulder surgery = LOL, oilers draft another injury prone like hall and rnh. But instead, its Draisaitl's too slow hur durr bennett > draisaitl AINEC hur durrr.

The list goes on. According to the mainboards, our players are overvalued/overrated, but as soon as they're traded, they're somehow apparently "good."

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Check out Jonathan Toews point totals each year. If Nuge can get anywhere near him, we should all be very happy.

Nuge looks to be on the path to emulate him as much as he can, and to some - they'll always be disappointed that he's not a ppg player or higher. They don't understand how hard it is to be defensive and offensive simultaneously. Patrice Bergeron, Jonathan Toews, Pavel Datsyuk...incredible players. Nuge is trying to do that, and as a result we can't expect huge numbers on the scoresheet.

I'll help, Toews has scored 70 points or more only once in his career, and has only been a ppg player in the lockout season (48 in 47).

That's a hell of a player to try and emulate, and with a blueline that's one of the worst in the league instead of one of the best.

I have said before, that is the calibre of player Nuge will turn into, Toews, Datsyuk, Bergeron. 60-80 point guys year in and out with setllar two way play. Love nuge's gaem this year, gives me a lot of faith in the future.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
I have said before, that is the calibre of player Nuge will turn into, Toews, Datsyuk, Bergeron. 60-80 point guys year in and out with setllar two way play. Love nuge's gaem this year, gives me a lot of faith in the future.

Toews and Bergeron have never scored 80. How crazy is that?

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I rarely ever read a thread on the main boards, but I read that Hall/RNH and their two man crushes ones.

Johnny Gretzky has not even played one year.

The thing that really irritates me is when people say Monohan and Johnny are leading hteir team to the playoffs lol. No s*** Sherlock you have a Norris D and good goaltending and a bazillion guys who came out of nowhere to surprise.

I take great joy to see anything go wrong with the Flames. I pray they miss the playoffs.

The day this team rises up I will most likely be a complete 100% Grade A d**che towards that fanbase lol.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I'd like to think that we'd be different but no, this is 100% going to happen. It'll be annoying even for us but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it means the Oilers have finally turned it around :)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
We already are one of the most hated fan bases in the league.

There were a lot of posters on here who drank the "rebuild" Koolaid (for the first few seasons anyway) and were counting chickens before the hatching. I recall plenty of guys posting lineups stocked with lotto picks (all glorified scoring numbers in brackets of course), and backslapping over how many Stanleys we were going to win. For a while there were some posters even debating among themselves how many Stanleys we would have to win in order for Stu to be crowned King of the World and the Gretzky statue replaced with one of Katz with a neon Tamby troll face coming out of his butt like a cuckoo on the hour and half hour.

This board will become insufferable if the Oilers ever start to dominate their conference. Fans from other teams will say "yeah, anyone can win if you hoover up all the best draft picks for five straight seasons". And there really is no answer to that because yeah, you should be able to win if you suck for as long and as hard as the Oilers have. And yeah even if we start winning tomorrow its still taking too long. And no, its not the gentlemanly way to go about winning.

I'm afraid this entire debacle of a "rebuild" is going to taint any future success the team has. Not that I won't be happy about it, cause I obviously will, its just not going to be as satisfying knowing that Katz built our team off the dole. Cause he was so ****ing green in terms of hockey that he actually thought you could assemble a collection of talented children who would teach themselves to compete for SC. :shakehead

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nuge is on the verge of a full on break out. Playing #1c in toughest conference, playing toughest minutes on the Oilers, a rock defensively and now coming out offensively (more importantly even strength)

In comparison to Thorton and Getzlaf, Nuge is right around where they were in their fourth years

Getzlaf was in anahiem and a 58 point player, Thorton had 71 in 72 but not playing top opponets

Under a good coach Nuge is bringing it. Last 10 games he has 16 points (10 ev points) and is one of the hottest players in the NHL. If he had Nelson the full year I have no doubts hed have around 65-70 points

If you look around the league, almost no player his age is doing what hes doing (playing #1c against the toughest opposition). Galchenyuk is being fed easy minutes as a winger, ditto for Mackinnon. The only comparables are Couturier (but far less offense) and Johansen (year older)

This guy is an ace, and at 21 he is already a #1c. I can only imagine how good hell be at 25-30

Developmentally eh was thrust into a 1c role early, but good to see hes taken it well

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A bunch of our own fans, including several very prominent members of this board, had hugely soured on RNH by Jan/Feb.

amazing what some confidence and some points will do.

RNH, 3rd line centre. I hope people hound Kelly Hrudey with that dipstick comment until the day he retires.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I never soured on Nuge. Have been saying all year I'd trade Hall before I'd move Nuge (though I'd like to keep both). Always felt he'd be just as good as Weight was for us. The guy I did sour on and was wrong about was Ebs. Can't believe I wanted to move the guy. Him and Nuge have been magical together

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
I never soured on Nuge. Have been saying all year I'd trade Hall before I'd move Nuge (though I'd like to keep both). Always felt he'd be just as good as Weight was for us. The guy I did sour on and was wrong about was Ebs. Can't believe I wanted to move the guy. Him and Nuge have been magical together

Well to be fair, for the past couple of years Eberle didn't look like his own magical self that we saw in that 2011-2012 season (although his shooting % was crazy high that year). He was putting up the points but many times looked unmotivated.

I think now we're seeing a guy who wants to play for his coach and you can see that not only through his scoring, but the way he battles for loose pucks in the corners and in general. Happy to see Ebs back :handclap:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

It can't come soon enough, in my opinion.

Seriously though, it'll be the bandwagon who will be the most obnoxious.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It can't come soon enough, in my opinion.

Seriously though, it'll be the bandwagon who will be the most obnoxious.

Hey guyz I've been and Oiler fan for 3 months I think that Noah Hanifin is better than Ray Bork think we could swap him for Crosby or would Pens add?

Uuuuugh :laugh: I disagree though your early 30's lifelong fan that was too young to remember the good years will be the worst. I'll be downright obnoxious - more so than I already am.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
seeing a panthers fan saying 4 of their centers are defensively better than rnh in the mainboards made me laugh :laugh:

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I love RNH's game, but we gotta ask ourselves if he's gonna be Mark Scheifele good?

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
seeing a panthers fan saying 4 of their centers are defensively better than rnh in the mainboards made me laugh :laugh:

You know you've been at the bottom too long when Panthers fans are taking potshots at you.

Derek McKenzie and Vincent Trocheck >> RNH defensively :dunce:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You know you've been at the bottom too long when Panthers fans are taking potshots at you.

Derek McKenzie and Vincent Trocheck >> RNH defensively :dunce:

I can take a jab. But a panthers fan? What have their franchise done? Could care less what that poster said. He knows absolutely nothing about RNH.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Every fan is at least somewhat biased about their players and prospects.

But Florida fans...

I don't know if the sun cooks their sculls, or if they feel they have to make strong statements to combat they don't have snow down there... what ever it is they are THE worst fanbase on these boards for over estimating their players/prospects.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I don't understand why other fans take the time to bash us. What's the point. Hall, Eberleand Nuge play against the best on every team night after night. Flames can go F Johnny Hockey. It's ridiculous to compare the amount of pressure between him and our players.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
I am praying they make the playoffs. Keep them out of the lottery and get manhandled in the first round. If they repeat their play next season I will openly admit I am wrong about the horseshoe up their behind.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just went on the main boards to see this Nuge / Ebs thread. Had to post a couple of things cause there doesn't seem like there are very reasonable arguments by a few posters.

I don't know how some of you get into it on there and leave mentally fit.

Kudos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad