Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '17-18 Season

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Hnstly, I think RNH isn't even that great bu im stoked to see him do well because I am very confident the plan was to unload him this summer and this should prevent Chia from another one of his terrible deals.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Hnstly, I think RNH isn't even that great bu im stoked to see him do well because I am very confident the plan was to unload him this summer and this should prevent Chia from another one of his terrible deals.

Or give Chia the chance to make an actually good deal.

If the cap numbers can work it would be incredible to roll McDavid/Drai/Nuge as the three centres.

Have the Oilers ever had a 3C better than Drai or Nuge?

morningla

Aug 18, 2011
The only player poster I have is still RNH. I don't get more pump when anyone else scores a regular goal!!!
just wait until I see an OTer :)

oh wait, there was just one, i just don't recall the one before that lol

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Anyone who regularly watches hockey knows better.
You don't think he regularly watches hockey? I guess you are probably wrong about that.

I'm as delighted as anyone to see RNH with fourteen goals in 34 games, but I think anyone who 'watches hockey regularly' can see he's getting a bit lucky. The puck is bouncing his way right now, and all credit to him, he's been taking full advantage. No chance however that he continues to score at this rate. And I sure hope people don't start jumping all over him when the scoring starts to drop off.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You don't think he regularly watches hockey? I guess you are probably wrong about that.

I'm as delighted as anyone to see RNH with fourteen goals in 34 games, but I think anyone who 'watches hockey regularly' can see he's getting a bit lucky. The puck is bouncing his way right now, and all credit to him, he's been taking full advantage. No chance however that he continues to score at this rate. And I sure hope people don't start jumping all over him when the scoring starts to drop off.

Probably should have phrased it more like "anyone who watches hockey that doesn't have an incredibly obvious bias against the player can see this".

Oh they will there have already been multiple games this season where certain posters have attempted to fire up the hate train. Team loses 5-1, Nuge doesn't score but has a solid game and ends up even on the night...and the usual posters try to single him out. Never fails.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

If the cap numbers can work it would be incredible to roll McDavid/Drai/Nuge as the three centres.

Pecca?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Mike Peca who scored a massive 23 points in his one season as an Oiler?
Yup points define a 3C. He also had 11 in the postseason that year while he was playing against top lines, killing penalties and taking all the key faceoffs.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yup points define a 3C. He also had 11 in the postseason that year while he was playing against top lines, killing penalties and taking all the key faceoffs.

So should the Oilers trade Draisaitl or Nuge for a 20-point scoring grinder to kils penalties, play against the top lines and take the key faceoffs?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
3 good centers is way to valuable to contending teams. Chia needs to get creative and figure out other ways to improve this team other then trading Nuge. Thats what good GMs do.

Also, LOL @ Ottawa fans thinking that they can get Nuge, with retained salary for Hoffman. Like what?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Gretzky, Messier and MacTavish was better as a 1 to 3 unit. MacTavish was the prototypical two way center.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
3 good centers is way to valuable to contending teams. Chia needs to get creative and figure out other ways to improve this team other then trading Nuge. Thats what good GMs do.

Also, LOL @ Ottawa fans thinking that they can get Nuge, with retained salary for Hoffman. Like what?
If we could somehow find a mid first round gem defence man it would go a long way. I think we'll have enough depth on the wings with Puljujarvi coming along and Yam+Benson+Maksimov+Safin in the system. Just need to find a McAvoy somehow, thats really the one position we need to upgrade with some offence.

Funny enough despite our supposedly awful wing and forward depth we are still 14th in goals for per game despite our PP being brutal.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gretzky, Messier and MacTavish was better as a 1 to 3 unit. MacTavish was the prototypical two way center.

MacT played the 3C role really well.

I think Nuge has the work ethic, and better natural skill set to surpass MacT once Nuge is officially in that role.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Center depth like we have now is an unbelievable gift. I am loving Nuge absolutely plowing under his critics right now. To be fair, he is overachieving right now and will come back down some, but he is still a great player. The only trade scenario I could live with is a trade to bring in a solid middle pairing two-way RH side D. To sacrifice Nuge for something like a Hoffman should be a cause for termination. Hopefully we keep succeeding with our current 1-2-3 and we just stand pat with Nuge.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Center depth like we have now is an unbelievable gift. I am loving Nuge absolutely plowing under his critics right now. To be fair, he is overachieving right now and will come back down some, but he is still a great player. The only trade scenario I could live with is a trade to bring in a solid middle pairing two-way RH side D. To sacrifice Nuge for something like a Hoffman should be a cause for termination. Hopefully we keep succeeding with our current 1-2-3 and we just stand pat with Nuge.

I suppose the statistics indicate inevitable regression, but visually (I know, I know) he looks so much better than he has the past few seasons. He looks to be playing with the offensive creativity he had in his rookie season when he was making first pairing D look dumb and with the defensive acumen he showed in the playoffs last year.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The should definitely keep him. They are not getting a better player in any trade and centers are the most valuable positions. Puljujaarvi and Yamamoto will be good players. Khaira, Slepyshev have potential too. I'd say keep drafting wingers and defensemen in the first couple of rounds (unless a really good player falls into their lap) for the 3-4 years and they should be in decent shape if scouts do their job. McDavid, Draisait, RNH down the middle, all signed long-term will be huge for this team success.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The should definitely keep him. They are not getting a better player in any trade and centers are the most valuable positions. Puljujaarvi and Yamamoto will be good players. Khaira, Slepyshev have potential too. I'd say keep drafting wingers and defensemen in the first couple of rounds (unless a really good player falls into their lap) for the 3-4 years and they should be in decent shape if scouts do their job. McDavid, Draisait, RNH down the middle, all signed long-term will be huge for this team success.

If he continues at this rate, many teams could use a #1 C. A Jones/ Johansen or Drouin/Sergachev type trade is very possible

If the Hanafin rumors were infact ever true, I would trade RNH for him no question

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
If he continues at this rate, many teams could use a #1 C. A Jones/ Johansen or Drouin/Sergachev type trade is very possible

If the Hanafin rumors were infact ever true, I would trade RNH for him no question

You would trade centre depth for a soft left winger? Glad you aren’t managing this team.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You would trade centre depth for a soft left winger? Glad you aren’t managing this team.

Hanafin is a defenseman.

giphy.gif

Reactions: MisterD

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
So should the Oilers trade Draisaitl or Nuge for a 20-point scoring grinder to kils penalties, play against the top lines and take the key faceoffs?

I like Nuge, he's a top 6 centre for sure. But if you are looking for that type of player, Pecca was an exponentially better third line center than Nuge, and probably a better player overall.

He had a bad regular season with EDM, an amazing playoffs, and then kind of tailed off due to injuries but he was insanely effective at what he did over his career, and that can pretty much be summed up with his 7 straight seasons with top 5 Selke votes, and winning it two years.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't see why Nuge can't keep this up. Or even get better. He's finally over his injury issues and now has some man strength to go along with his other skills. And he's being protected in the lineup by Drai and McD, able to finally play against competition that isn't top of the heap. If the Oil PP ever gets going, he could end up with 70+ points this year. No reason for him not to settle into a 60-65 point average for the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad