Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '17-18 Season

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like Nuge, he's a top 6 centre for sure. But if you are looking for that type of player, Pecca was an exponentially better third line center than Nuge, and probably a better player overall.

He had a bad regular season with EDM, an amazing playoffs, and then kind of tailed off due to injuries but he was insanely effective at what he did over his career, and that can pretty much be summed up with his 7 straight seasons with top 5 Selke votes, and winning it two years.

So who is the Mike Peca today that you would trade him for?

Reactions: shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't see why Nuge can't keep this up. Or even get better. He's finally over his injury issues and now has some man strength to go along with his other skills. And he's being protected in the lineup by Drai and McD, able to finally play against competition that isn't top of the heap. If the Oil PP ever gets going, he could end up with 70+ points this year. No reason for him not to settle down into a 60-65 point average for the next few years.

Protection in the lineup is the key imo.

Yet another reason to split Drai and McD.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Taking salary into effect and the fact Peca was one of the NHL's best defensive centers playing for dirt cheap, I dunno if I could find a comparable right now. I'm sure I could if I looked hard haha.

Exactly. Not as easy as it sounds.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly. Not as easy as it sounds.

There isn't someone you could trade Nuge for who would make the team better. Potentially a more traditional 3C, but that still doesn't make the team better.

Nuge comes with a higher salary than you want in a 3C, but he is excellent in that role. Playing somebody with less offensive upside there allows teams to focus on McD and Drai more.

Reactions: ujju2

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My whole point was in regards to the poster referring to Peca as a " 20 point grinding forward who takes key faceoffs"

Pecas impact in the 06 cup run is more than likely never matched by Nuge.
Likely because they never had a McDavid or Draisatl, and because of that, they played a more rope-a-dope style and relied heavily on big minutes from Pronger and out of this world goaltending from Roli. They had an unexpected miracle run, and nothing else.This team plays a completely different style than that due to the personnel, as well as the way the league is headed now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There isn't someone you could trade Nuge for who would make the team better. Potentially a more traditional 3C, but that still doesn't make the team better.

Nuge comes with a higher salary than you want in a 3C, but he is excellent in that role. Playing somebody with less offensive upside there allows teams to focus on McD and Drai more.

The way the Oilers play, with a fast, up temp style, Nuge really is finding a niche in his role now, and it's hard to imagine someone else filling that role.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Taking salary into effect and the fact Peca was one of the NHL's best defensive centers playing for dirt cheap, I dunno if I could find a comparable right now. I'm sure I could if I looked hard haha.

Peca was dirt cheap? He made 4mil the one year he was here, a number that would still be seen as expensive today. Now imagine that with a salary cap at 39 million.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I like Nuge, he's a top 6 centre for sure. But if you are looking for that type of player, Pecca was an exponentially better third line center than Nuge, and probably a better player overall.

He had a bad regular season with EDM, an amazing playoffs, and then kind of tailed off due to injuries but he was insanely effective at what he did over his career, and that can pretty much be summed up with his 7 straight seasons with top 5 Selke votes, and winning it two years.

Third lines aren't checking lines anymore. That concept is over. Now teams either play power-vs-power or hard target a single match-up (EG: Kesler shadows McDavid).

I think we can agree that in years past, RNH has been used as that match-up guy when it wasn't the best use of his skill-set. But as he is going now, there's no reason to take him out of that role except possible salary constraints.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
No kidding. 4 million back then translates to about 7 or 8 million now. A lot of money for a checking, defensive centre..

Mike Peca was one of the best defensive centers of his time and was putting up better than Nuge numbers all while facing some of the best competition in the NHL in a lower scoring era. I take a Mike Peca in his prime for 7 million dollars over Nuge right now for 6 AINEC.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love Nuge. But people are really downplaying Mike Pecas effect he had on the clubs he played on. He got paid big money to go to Edmonton, and that pay was warranted. I was mostly talking about the previous years prior to the cap. Had a shitty season in EDM, excellent playoffs and then injuries effectively ended his career.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Mike Peca was one of the best defensive centers of his time and was putting up better than Nuge numbers all while facing some of the best competition in the NHL. I take a Mike Peca in his prime for 7 million dollars over Nuge right now for 6 AINEC.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love Nuge. But people are really downplaying Mike Pecas effect he had on the clubs he played on. He got paid big money to go to Edmonton, and that pay was warranted. I was mostly talking about the previous years prior to the cap. Had a ****ty season in EDM, excellent playoffs and then injuries effectively ended his career.

It's not the worst thing in the world to admit you got something wrong.

Four posts ago you were "taking salary into account" for Nuge being better. Now Peca "in his prime" is worth more than Nuge now?

Do you at least agree that Mike Peca who played for the Oilers was not Peca in his prime?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It's not the worst thing in the world to admit you got something wrong.

Four posts ago you were "taking salary into account" for Nuge being better. Now Peca "in his prime" is worth more than Nuge now?

Do you at least agree that Mike Peca who played for the Oilers was not Peca in his prime?

No, I was saying taking salary into effect for Peca being better. Read the post. Hindsight is 20/20 and when the Oil got Peca at 4 million it was regarded as a very reasonable salary because of what he brings to the table

In regards to the prime question, Peca in the 05/06 regular season no, Peca in the cup run, absolutely.

Anyways, it's getting off topic. I was a massive fan of Peca back in the day and I just got a little irked when he was referred to as a 20 point "grinder". Maybe the one year he played in Edm yeah, but like I said prior, you don't make it onto the Olympic team, finish top 5 in Selke voting for 7 straight years and take 2 down by being a 20 point grinder. The dude was an extremely effective hockey player, and one of the best shut down centers who could pot 40+ points in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Nuge is having an excellent season, but is farrrrr from being the "best" at anything.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Nuge is the best at being one of our top three forwards and a top five player on the team.

Shutdown lines are just power lines without offence. If we're up against a Crosby, throw out McDavid. "Shut them down" by fighting fire with fire, power with power.

We shouldn't even be treating RNH like a shutdown player. He hasn't been used in that role this year. He's been a two-way, complete 2A/2B centre. Power vs power is the game he should be playing, so let's talk about how his offensive flair is back and how his supporting cast let him down.

Reactions: Dorian2 and ujju2

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
The Nuge is having such a good year. 3 point game, leads the comeback to steal a point in a disappointing game. On pace for a 30 goal season

I’m proud.

Reactions: ujju2

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Got my Nuge jersey about the same time you got yours. Mind you, I'm 17 now, so I've grown in that time frame. It fits like a t-shirt now, but I'm still wearing it.
Got mine as a birthday gift and fits about the same but I am pretty much fully grown so its all good XD.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->