Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins '17-18 Season

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz are all gone and many feel that RNH will be the next (and last) one out the door from the years of darkness for the Oilers.

From the end of the '16-17 season coach McLellan stated that he wants more offense from Nuge. In a recent interview, Nuge mentioned that he plans to still play a two way game but that he will be looking to add more offense to his game and that he did a lot of "skill work" this past offseason.

Realistically, if he wants to be a part of this team beyond this season, he will need to have a big season and earn every bit of his contract which will likely be a difficult feat centering the 3rd line.

That said, he will likely be asked to carry his lines offense which should not be too much of him at this point in his career. Nuge needs to step it up big time this season as his last 2 seasons have simply not been good enough.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I doubt RNH sees a third of this season centering the third line. 20 games would surprise me as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So far he's never shown the ability to anchor a line. I'd love to see him have a big season but I just don't see it.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Crazy to think that if RNH gets traded Klefbom is the longest serving Oiler.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Probably finishes the year on the wing.

I really wish he took his offseason training more seriously.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Do you honestly have enough information to make this comment?

Is his brother a world class trainer? Honestly?

I know the talk is there on his website about being a high end trainer but I don't know I haven't seen Nuge take the next step and I'm a Nuge supporter

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I know the talk is there on his website about being a high end trainer but I don't know I haven't seen Nuge take the next step and I'm a Nuge supporter

So really the answer is no....you dont. We have no idea what ancillary training methods Nuge is using during the off season so its a huge leap to make the definitive statement you did.

I like Nuge as well. How about we let the season play out a bit before proclaiming that his summer training was inferior.
IMO this is a watershed season for RNH...I am very curious to see how it plays out.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So really the answer is no....you dont. We have no idea what ancillary training methods Nuge is using during the off season so its a huge leap to make the statement you did.

I like Nuge as well. How about we let the season play out a bit before proclaiming that his summer training was inferior.
IMO this is a watershed season for RNH...I am very curious to see how it plays out.

Well his physical development is not where it should be IMO. Who knows maybe he does lift and do everything necessary but can't gain muscle at all.

But he's at the point now where he's a man I really want to see him stronger. There's a lot to like about his game and I stand in his corner but I just want to see more from him. This season is a big moment in his career and potential future with this team. Hoping we see him elevate his play.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I still think he has the potential to be a good 2nd-line center in ideal circumstances, but if Draisaitl is at center that kills that chance. I guess I would rather see Nuge playing on more of an offensive line (2nd line, basically) rather than a checking line.

Is there some reason he can't be tried out as McDavid's winger?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well his physical development is not where it should be IMO. Who knows maybe he does lift and do everything necessary but can't gain muscle at all.

Thats entirely possible although I dont really care if he adds muscle mass...I care more about adding strength. So hopefully he has done that to some degree.
All that being said I think his biggest problem is confidence. He is so much more tentative offensively than he was earlier in his career. He has to correct that IMO.

But he's at the point now where he's a man I really want to see him stronger. There's a lot to like about his game and I stand in his corner but I just want to see more from him. This season is a big moment in his career and potential future with this team. Hoping we see him elevate his play.

I agree with this completely.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Woof. That would make his last 2 seasons look like successes. :help:

He'll get more points if Drai ends up back on the wing or if one of McDavid/Draisaitl get hurt.

But if he's actually the 3rd line C this year and plays with guys like Jokinen and Pulju I don't see more.

But I'm a Nuge pessimist, could always be wrong.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He'll get more points if Drai ends up back on the wing or if one of McDavid/Draisaitl get hurt.

But if he's actually the 3rd line C this year and plays with guys like Jokinen and Pulju I don't see more.

But I'm a Nuge pessimist, could always be wrong.

I for one am very happy that Todd told him to think more offense. I'm hoping that means that the Looch/Drai line taken on more of the tougher assignments and that the Nuge/Finn line will be given easier assignments which will boost both Nuge's and Puljujarvi's confidence.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I'd take it step further and say he just doesn't really work hard enough to improve period. Not just in the gym but how is he this bad at faceoffs still? How have none of his on ice skills improved since age 18? It's not the team it's not the coaches it's him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd take it step further and say he just doesn't really work hard enough to improve period. Not just in the gym but how is he this bad at faceoffs still? How have none of his on ice skills improved since age 18? It's not the team it's not the coaches it's him.

Let's just say that for the sake of discussion that you are right. Why would he still be here? We would've traded him for the sake of trading him if that was the case. I agree that his improvement hasn't been anywhere near we would've liked but I'd suspect that at least some of that would be injury and confidence related. He definitely deserves some criticism though as ultimately it's up to him how hard he's going to work and to keep himself grounded.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I still think its too early to judge Nuge's game. He is a guy that by many accounts picks up the finer points of the game and improves.

A very very successful year, if he plays on the third line as projected, will be 40 points, plus anything, and improved face offs. Him and JJ are basically Jessies personal tutors, babysitters, teachers, and are there to make sure he develops in a proper 200 foot game manner.

Kinda interesting that management put the screws to him to be better offensively but yet have put him in a position where it is basically impossible to get more points than in previous years. Less ice time and worse line mates really limits his opportunities. If his line is used as anything other than a soft quality of competition/weak match ups type line, I think its safe to say Nuge is being set up to fail.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I still think its too early to judge Nuge's game. He is a guy that by many accounts picks up the finer points of the game and improves.

A very very successful year, if he plays on the third line as projected, will be 40 points, plus anything, and improved face offs. Him and JJ are basically Jessies personal tutors, babysitters, teachers, and are there to make sure he develops in a proper 200 foot game manner.

Kinda interesting that management put the screws to him to be better offensively but yet have put him in a position where it is basically impossible to get more points than in previous years. Less ice time and worse line mates really limits his opportunities. If his line is used as anything other than a soft quality of competition/weak match ups type line, I think its safe to say Nuge is being set up to fail.

If the bold were true than he would have at some point shown an ounce of improvement somewhere in his game. He's a worse player today than he was as a rookie for gods sake. Nuge hasn't learned anything in 6 years of NHL hockey. No better defensively, still sucks at facecoffs, certainly worse offensively...

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'll predict a 56 point season, I don't think the current line structure will stick (either injury or failure to perform of someone else in the top 6) and he will find his way into playing in the top 6 for roughly 70%+ of the season, McLellan will find an excuse to play him more. I think his zone starts will be slightly padded in his favor for upping his point totals as per advisement from upper management in preparation for the possibility of trading him and he will likely get saddled with one of Pulju or Strome for a good chunk of the season who honestly need the benefit of more sheltered mins. He will still be used for key defensive situations and as a go to guy on the PK, but on average his EV strength mins will be easier.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If the bold were true than he would have at some point shown an ounce of improvement somewhere in his game. He's a worse player today than he was as a rookie for gods sake. Nuge hasn't learned anything in 6 years of NHL hockey. No better defensively, still sucks at facecoffs, certainly worse offensively...

Nuge was easily one of our best players in the SJS series and instrumental to winning it. Was a big part of a successful regular season last year. Had rave reviews as part of team north America. Has had numerous compliments from Oilers staff...

I think you are focusing on points and faceoffs too much. Nuges overall game has certainly improved over the years.

He had a great rookie year, but also had a great stint with Pouliot and Eberle where everyone was raving about that line/him 2014/2015. His play got him a spot on the All star team...

People have short and selective memories for Nuge. Im a huge Leon fan but think its a waste of Nuges talents being on the third line.

He is currently the most sought after player on the trade boards by other fan bases. Must be cause he hasnt improved since his rookie year...

Its understandable to be disappointed in Nuge as he was a first overall selection but it doesn't make sense to ignore his actual value as a solid Nhler.

Edit: He is absolutely a top 6 forward who can play center, and our team is considerably better with him on it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Nuge was easily one of our best players in the SJS series and instrumental to winning it. Was a big part of a successful regular season last year. Had rave reviews as part of team north America. Has had numerous compliments from Oilers staff...

I think you are focusing on points and faceoffs too much. Nuges overall game has certainly improved over the years.

He had a great rookie year, but also had a great stint with Pouliot and Eberle where everyone was raving about that line/him 2014/2015. His play got him a spot on the All star team...

People have short and selective memories for Nuge. Im a huge Leon fan but think its a waste of Nuges talents being on the third line.

He is currently the most sought after player on the trade boards by other fan bases. Must be cause he hasnt improved since his rookie year...

Its understandable to be disappointed in Nuge as he was a first overall selection but it doesn't make sense to ignore his actual value as a solid Nhler.

Edit: He is absolutely a top 6 forward who can play center, and our team is considerably better with him on it.

Lol, I can't do these debates for another year.

Hope he proves me wrong for once and has a good season so we can get something for him when we dump him next summer.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Nuge was easily one of our best players in the SJS series and instrumental to winning it.

0-0-0 -1

The guy was OK against SJS but that scoring line is nothing like a guy who was "one of our best players" or "instrumental to winning". What does bad look like?...oh yeah I forgot.....Eberle.

Lol, I can't do these debates for another year.

Hope he proves me wrong for once and has a good season so we can get something for him when we dump him next summer.

Yeah it's going to be pretty gruesome listening to people rave any time RNH does anything average. Like you I hope he plays well so we can get a decent return. RNH and Letestu for Lehkonen and Plekanec at the deadline?

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
0-0-0 -1

The guy was OK against SJS but that scoring line is nothing like a guy who was "one of our best players" or "instrumental to winning". What does bad look like?...oh yeah I forgot.....Eberle.

RNH got matched against Joe Pavelski, whose stats were:
G1: 3 Shots, 0G, 0A
G2: 2 shots, 0G, 0A
G3: 1 shot, 0G, 0A
G4 (this is the 7-0 spanking we got): 4 shots, 2g, 1A
G5: 3 shots, 0G, 0A
G6: 3 shots, 0G, 0A

Helping hold a ~70 pt (68 pts in 2016-17) player to 16 shots and 3 points over an entire 6 game series is okay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->