Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: #1 in the draft, #1 to be traded

Are you done with RNH?

• Total voters

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
8 points at 5v5 in 35 games pre-DRY line.

20 points at 5v5 in 24 games post-DRY line.

Out of curiosity what was Drai's ES stats like before that line when he had no Nuge or Connor on his line? What are Connor's? Prior to the trade deadline and that line's creation, our top 6 winger depth was crap.

I just hope they don't Skinner him.

If you pay him for the points he's getting beside Drai/McDavid, keep playing him beside them. Don't pay him $8M to fart around centering his own line.

Or more recently, Kassian him. At least Nuge would still be an effective forward if you give him some decent linemates ie. Yamamoto and/or AA. Kassian is going to be a big time boat anchor if he's not in the top 6 going forward.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I love Nuge, but highly doubt he would get 8-9m. Even though Nuge is on fire right now, a large portion is due to playing PP1 with McDrai and getting points there, along with playing with Drai on the 2nd line now. He's also only got one 60+pt season under his belt. Nuge probably signs for a bit of a discount in the 6.75-7.25m range.

Some of the contracts given out now a days it wouldnt surprise me. I dont think he is worth 9 at all. I think 7ish is his number. He is at an age were an 8 yr contract would he fine to

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Amazing what a difference being attached to the hip of one of the best players in the world has done for him, as a Winger, nonetheless.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Out of curiosity what was Drai's ES stats like before that line when he had no Nuge or Connor on his line? What are Connor's? Prior to the trade deadline and that line's creation, our top 6 winger depth was crap.

Or more recently, Kassian him. At least Nuge would still be an effective forward if you give him some decent linemates ie. Yamamoto and/or AA. Kassian is going to be a big time boat anchor if he's not in the top 6 going forward.

Amazing what a difference being attached to the hip of one of the best players in the world has done for him, as a Winger, nonetheless.

Firstly. Many seem to forget Nuge had a procedure on his hand and it was after that his play took a significant step forward.

Also in 5v5 outscoring opponents neither McDavid or Draisaitl are that great. Nuge with Draisaitl Yamamoto are far superior to any combination of McDrai.

In short there is a lot of smoke that Nuge is a good 2 way player period and that his production goes up with health and quality of line mates.

I also think Nuge is a great winger for either McDavid or Draisaitl. I really like that his play allows McDrai to be split which is the far superior tactic for winning in nhl hockey. Nuge moving forward gets much deserved talent to play with after being relied on so heavily to drive a line by himself.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Did you see who was flanking him pre-Drai? Some of the worst wingers in the league for a top 6 center.

I'm certainly no Nuge fanboy but man has he been strapped with some shit wingers post-Hall and Eberle until this season so those numbers are skewed downward as a result.

As far as his next contract is concerned, Hayes got north of 7M and Duchene 8M on 7 year deals, Skinner 9 so I'd have to imagine that his representation is shooting for something in the 7.5-8M range. Nuge seems like he could be the type of guy to give a bit of a loyalty discount so I wouldn't be shocked to see him settle for an 8yr $56M deal but make no mistake, he could make more than that on the open market.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Did you see who was flanking him pre-Drai? Some of the worst wingers in the league for a top 6 center.

I'm certainly no Nuge fanboy but man has he been strapped with some shit wingers post-Hall and Eberle until this season so those numbers are skewed downward as a result.

As far as his next contract is concerned, Hayes got north of 7M and Duchene 8M on 7 year deals, Skinner 9 so I'd have to imagine that his representation is shooting for something in the 7.5-8M range. Nuge seems like he could be the type of guy to give a bit of a loyalty discount so I wouldn't be shocked to see him settle for an 8yr $56M deal but make no mistake, he could make more than that on the open market.
sure, RNH could use those comparables, but our team can come back with other comparables. Krieder signed for 6.5 million, with similar stats as RNH now, and RNH is getting points as a winger. RNH gets a slight edge because he's 2 years younger, but that's not 1.5 AAV better.

Duchene was signed as a center, their 1C, as a pure mercenary with no loyalty factor.

The Hayes contract again had no loyalty factor. Even though he's good for the Flyers and they are doing good, but Hayes is overpaid by around 1 million or so.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Some of the contracts given out now a days it wouldnt surprise me. I dont think he is worth 9 at all. I think 7ish is his number. He is at an age were an 8 yr contract would he fine to
He will be 28 when his new deal kicks in. No way he gets a 8yr deal at prime dollars.
Last few years would have to be pretty cheap.
8+8+7+7+6+6+5+3
My guess 8yrs 50M
AAV a touch over 6M

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
He will be 28 when his new deal kicks in. No way he gets a 8yr deal at prime dollars.
8+8+7+7+6+6+5+3
My guess 8yrs 50M
AAV a touch over 6M[/QUOTE

I could see a kreider deal like yup

Reactions: Aerchon

NegativeNelly

Jun 23, 2016
Edmonton
To me Nuge is a 3rd line centre/2nd line winger. I think he is a good player but only a complimentary player. I wouldn't sign him a larger contract and pin my hopes on him performing up to it. Unfortunately he doesnt elevate his linemates not named Draisaitl or McDavid.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
To me Nuge is a 3rd line centre/2nd line winger. I think he is a good player but only a complimentary player. I wouldn't sign him a larger contract and pin my hopes on him performing up to it. Unfortunately he doesnt elevate his linemates not named Draisaitl or McDavid.

GTFO. Unless you're just trying to play up to your name.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

Lol, according to this kind of categorization, there are hardly any top line wingers in the NHL and not very many top 2 line centers.

Reactions: ujju2

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
They wish they could have Ryan 'NothingHappens' on their team... haha stupid flamers

He will pass him before the season is out too. That DNY line is unreal. I think the same could be copied with a:
Ennis/McD/Kassian

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If you only had the money to sign one of RNH or Yamamoto which one would you keep?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
8+8+7+7+6+6+5+3
My guess 8yrs 50M
AAV a touch over 6M
That deal is technically illegal. The last year could be no less than $4M but I also think that this is what they should be doing. I'd view the offer as 4 Years $8.125M, then 6 years at $7.42M, and 8 years at $6.875M

9.5 9.5 7.5 6 6 6 5.5 5

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Canucks fan coming in peace.

I traded for RNH in a dynasty keeper league, just wondering if the plan long-term is to stick him with Draisaitl, or if eventually the Oilers will join Drai with McDavid again in the future and leave RNH behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad