Player Discussion Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: #1 in the draft, #1 to be traded

Are you done with RNH?

• Total voters

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Canucks fan coming in peace.

I traded for RNH in a dynasty keeper league, just wondering if the plan long-term is to stick him with Draisaitl, or if eventually the Oilers will join Drai with McDavid again in the future and leave RNH behind.

You can never really know, but my money is on keeping Nuge-Drai-Yams together. Best line in the league over the past couple months.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Canucks fan coming in peace.

I traded for RNH in a dynasty keeper league, just wondering if the plan long-term is to stick him with Draisaitl, or if eventually the Oilers will join Drai with McDavid again in the future and leave RNH behind.
Unless the RNH-LD-KY line dries up I don't see McDavid and Leon being put back together.

If we hit a wall offensively then I suspect you see Connor and Leon back together.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's just hard to tell whether the Oilers go with a Pens-style line-up with Crosby and Malkin being a 1-2 punch up the middle or putting them together on the top line.

as long as RNH gets some ice time with Drai and sees some PP minutes, I'm happy with him. Been a monster lately too.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Unless the RNH-LD-KY line dries up I don't see McDavid and Leon being put back together.

If we hit a wall offensively then I suspect you see Connor and Leon back together.
Tippett's smart enough to get them minutes together anyways. He puts them out together after PK's when Nuge is tired and so are the other teams best players. He's such a good coach.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tippett's smart enough to get them minutes together anyways. He puts them out together after PK's when Nuge is tired and so are the other teams best players. He's such a good coach.
Very true. So many comments about Tippett just like this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Say goodbye to the stacked one line team. This team was going to contend when it could move McDavid and Draisaitl to drive their own lines. Bonus is having Nugent Hopkins who can produce as a winger and still able, if desired, to shift back to depth centre role in situations. Nuge's great utility in his game helps this team's development greatly with high hockey IQ to anticipate and move the puck with super elites McDavid and Draisaitl; a terrific, accurate shot for solid finishing; and defensive conscience that helps support the elite two as well. It is the utility/Swiss Army Knife in Nugent Hopkin's game that is highly valued by coaches and critical to enabling this team to run McDavid and Draisaitl as lethal 1 and 1A lines.

Gone are the seasons when this sad sack franchise once tried to roll out a season with centremen consisting of Nugent Hopkins, Archibello, an 18 year old overwhelmed Draisaitl, and Boyd Gordon. Surviving this organization's flawed 'Development' approach, Nugent Hopkins is able to complement elite talent and do many things across all facets of the game that contribute to winning. In so doing, he's compromised some personal scoring production to focus on 200 foot play and the Oil are better for it with finally talent to lurch it out of the Decade of Darkness.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Man he has turned it up a notch. After the horrid start I didn't see this. Wanted him gone (dumb). Now I hope he can bring it come playoff time.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He's clearly the #3 forward and he's absolutely playing like it. With how good McDavid and Draisaitl are, Nuge is being a bit forgotten about by opponents and clearly to his advantage.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
You guys notice the tippet talking to McDavid and Draisaitl before the overtime. I’m pretty sure tippet thinks it’s a bad idea to link them at the hip.

Reactions: Senor Catface

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a bit less(money), but you're probably correct.

Always hope for less but he's critical to the Oilers going forward so i'd rather not try to nickel and dime him. I would also front load the crap out of the contract so in the final 4 years he's easily movable

Reactions: Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Always hope for less but he's critical to the Oilers going forward so i'd rather not try to nickel and dime him. I would also front load the crap out of the contract so in the final 4 years he's easily movable
Makes some sense and I agree with that plan for his contract.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
You guys notice the tippet talking to McDavid and Draisaitl before the overtime. I’m pretty sure tippet thinks it’s a bad idea to link them at the hip.
I'm glad he split them for OT but I got the feeling he was talking about taking shorter shifts and getting a whistle so he could take a timeout (IIRC he hadn't used it yet).

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Resign Nuge this off season or wait till next year when the expansion draft over? I would just sign him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad