Player Discussion Ryan Miller | Pt. IV: Game over?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Miller should extract penalty dollars from Benning for declaring Markstrom starter before camp. Markstrom has not claimed the position by merit. Far from it!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning would be far better advised to try and pluck one of the Stars' goalie contracts off their hands, along with a decent prospect or roster player, rather than bringing back Miller....but Jimbo being Jimbo, we know what he'll decide to do.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If Miller gets any type of movement clause somebody needs to be fired immediately. I mean, that basically indicates you can't negotiate ... at all.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Benning would be far better advised to try and pluck one of the Stars' goalie contracts off their hands, along with a decent prospect or roster player, rather than bringing back Miller....but Jimbo being Jimbo, we know what he'll decide to do.

Those goalies suck BAD though; compensation to take that crap should be high. (Don't care about the money part - Aquaman ain't going to be going to the Food Bank soon)

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Can we move on from this guy?

He blames his teammates for everything, that's not what a mentor does. He stood up for Stecher one time...anyone would have done the same when a rookie is getting pummelled against his will.

All he's doing is giving us points we don't need. He's not going to take us to the playoffs on his own. Dump his ass and go with Markstrom/Bachman next year (sink or swim for Marky IMO). Let Demko start the whole year in Utica and give him a few games when injuries hit.

I don't know where you're getting that from. Maybe in his first year but last season I didn't notice that. He even had a pep talk with Goldy when he was struggling. I think Miller's been as good as you can expect on and off the ice here.

A one year deal for next season I would be okay with. But only if Markstrom gets the majority or at least half of the games. He shouldn't automatically be appointed the starter but it would be nice to have him as an option if Markstrom struggles.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I don't know where you're getting that from. Maybe in his first year but last season I didn't notice that. He even had a pep talk with Goldy when he was struggling. I think Miller's been as good as you can expect on and off the ice here.

A one year deal for next season I would be okay with. But only if Markstrom gets the majority or at least half of the games. He shouldn't automatically be appointed the starter but it would be nice to have him as an option if Markstrom struggles.

If it is just a 1 yr deal that's not really bad. I think there's more vile towards him because everyone knows that Miller is Jim's original "guy". Sure we'll bring him in, but either way not make the playoffs anyways.

Looking back on this era you won't think negatively towards him or even the way he played, but he'll be one of the recognizable faces that were symbolic of this brutal time.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
If it is just a 1 yr deal that's not really bad. I think there's more vile towards him because everyone knows that Miller is Jim's original "guy". Sure we'll bring him in, but either way not make the playoffs anyways.

Looking back on this era you won't think negatively towards him or even the way he played, but he'll be one of the recognizable faces that were symbolic of this brutal time.

Wow Canucks management really doesn't believe in Markstrom.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Miller on a one year deal that could trade him anywhere at the deadline is fantastic imo. Hopefully it happens. :)
He is not getting traded at the deadline.

He wasn't last time around (obvious the moment he signed his deal), and he won't be this time around.

(1) contending teams are rarely looking for goalies at the deadline.

(2) he is very old for a pro hockey player and not a top performer.

(3) Benning thinks he's an integral part of this juggernaut team.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
He is not getting traded at the deadline.

He wasn't last time around (obvious the moment he signed his deal), and he won't be this time around.

(1) contending teams are rarely looking for goalies at the deadline.

(2) he is very old for a pro hockey player and not a top performer.

(3) Benning thinks he's an integral part of this juggernaut team.

Nobody wants him except us. Nobody wanted him at the last deadline. Nobody wanted him when all the goalie trades have taken place over the past few weeks, nobody wants him as a free agent and nobody will want him at next year's deadline.

Except us. We just can't let go of him.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If I'm Markstrom's agent, I'm calling in demanding a trade (assuming Marky still wants to be a #1 NHL goalie somewhere). The team obviously has no interest in having him long term.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
If Markstrom's agent does that then Benning can say, "Ha ha, with that contract I signed him to? No one will take him!! You fool!"

Then Benning can just drop the receiver on the table. Don't even bother hanging up. Then immediately proceed to discuss confidential player negotiations with his staff.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Botch said the following in effectively the draft version of The Provies:

The Province said:
Speaking of the last one, there are more than a couple of people in Chicago wondering if Ryan Miller is about to move on from the Vancouver Canucks.

Pre-expansion draft talk making the rounds was that the Canucks would be in tough to re-sign him and it likely wasn’t happening.

Since then, the Canucks put on their hard press, offered him an incentive-based one-year deal and, it’s believed, met with his agent Tuesday night.

As of now, crickets. There’s still no deal with a week to go before Miller is an unrestricted free agent.

Of course, the Canucks could be waiting till after the draft to announce something, which could prove intuitive if they play the draft straight, and lack the moves which would excite a wayward fanbase.

Still, all of this has left many of us wondering about Plan B.

Eddie Lack? The Canucks wouldn’t be willing to stomach it.

Pavelec? Management would be ripped.

Elliott? Would seem a plausible Benning-like move to me.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
If I'm Markstrom's agent, I'm calling in demanding a trade (assuming Marky still wants to be a #1 NHL goalie somewhere). The team obviously has no interest in having him long term.

Yes that would be a brilliant tactic by Markstrom and his agent. He is getting paid big bucks to play a sport and live the dream. I think he can and should get more of an opportunity on a rebuilding team but going about it the way you suggest is asinine. Earn your stripes and win the spot. I'd assume you killed it in intramurals handball back in the day.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Miller will likely wait until the first week of July to see if he gets any better offers from teams closer to California. When he sees there arent any then he will take what Benning offered

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yes that would be a brilliant tactic by Markstrom and his agent. He is getting paid big bucks to play a sport and live the dream. I think he can and should get more of an opportunity on a rebuilding team but going about it the way you suggest is asinine. Earn your stripes and win the spot. I'd assume you killed it in intramurals handball back in the day.

So are you the latest reincarnation of a shill I tore apart during the season and got banned? Is that why you're resorting to the personal attacks already? Got some pent-up bile to release?

"Earn your stripes"...yeah. How many years sitting on the bench counts towards that? The guy's 27. Either play him or don't pay serious $ for a backup. This isn't hard stuff here.

Not that you'd know that.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why are we still talking about Ryan Miller in any capacity?

Least necessary player for the Canucks right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad