Post-Game Talk: Ryan Miller defends his record; Canuck streak breakers

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not saying this team will finish with 100 points, I'm saying they've played like a 100+ point team through 9 games. They're unlucky to have the record they do IMO.

Injuries always play a huge role in team performance and this year will be no different. I'm also weighing their performance against expectations, as I think it's pretty obvious we don't have the horses to be an elite club. To that end, the group has performed very very well, even if the standings say they've only been good.

Yup. 3 OT losses which is somewhat of a coin flip. I don't expect that trend to continue.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Corsi/Fenwick/Shots f/a aren't the end all be all......

There are also, HSCF%, Zone starts, Zone entries/exits, points/60

Plenty of ways to show a player is good using those stats.

I still don't understand people who scoff at advanced stats. Those people are completely willfully blind. Not using advanced stats is like building a house but just "eyeballing it" instead of measuring it. Because to them their eye test is better than the numbers.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I still don't understand people who scoff at advanced stats. Those people are completely willfully blind. Not using advanced stats is like building a house but just "eyeballing it" instead of measuring it. Because to them their eye test is better than the numbers.
Personally, it's less scoffing at advanced stats and more the weight some people place upon them. To some people, Corsi seems more important than goals. It'd be like someone claiming that the only thing that matters when building a team is having guys who can skate really fast. It's the focusing on a small part of the bigger picture to the seeming exclusion of all other factors.

Also, I think the post you were replying to might be referring to the fact that numbers can be massaged to prove many false premises. Gather enough data and you'll find some numbers that prove some random conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad