Post-Game Talk: Ryan Miller defends his record; Canuck streak breakers

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
Exactly prust sutter and Miller will always be hated here. I mean we could have Kassian, lack, and Kesler instead which would be a much better team rt now. They were in the playoff hunt half way through the season last time they played together

Didn't trading Kesler get us McCann with their first round pick?

arsmaster*

This team has had a complete and utter dearth of one shot scorers over the last handful of years. Benning proceeds to add Vrbata, Sutter, McCann and Virtanen to the team in under 18 months to help fill that void - with late 1st Rd pick Brock Boeser potentially being a year away as well.

For my money, that is the biggest positive going forward. The fact they've managed to add those scorers, incorporate a ton of youth, while also being a better possession team is as impressive as it's been surprising. Moving a handful of vets for picks while also accomplishing this has just been the icing on the cake.

9 games, 9 good performances from the team and Ryan Miller. Can't remember the last time I could say that about a Canuck club coming out of October.

They were 9-5-1 in torts' year coming out of October.

5-3-1 to start. Same points I guess but I guess you mean you feel better about these 9 games which is fine.

Ryan miller is playing well and our ran sack defense is holding teams from prime scoring chances. It's good to see.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I like how Ian was so confident that Bachman is better than Cannata.

The difference between Cannata and Bachman is minuscule. TBH I'd rather have Cannata.

Bachman is coming off an AHL All-Star season. Cannata has played 10 AHL games in the past 2 seasons. I think I'll let the season play out before deciding this one.

Bet Bachman returns rusty after eating pine for weeks. So we have to let his form return before we turn the competition light on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They were 9-5-1 in torts' year coming out of October.

5-3-1 to start. Same points I guess but I guess you mean you feel better about these 9 games which is fine.

Ryan miller is playing well and our ran sack defense is holding teams from prime scoring chances. It's good to see.

This is our worst start record-wise through 9 games since 2009. To try and claim it as our best is spin at its finest.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This is our worst start record-wise through 9 games since 2009. To try and claim it as our best is spin at its finest.

That eye test though.

I remember back in 2011 we would play like we don't give a damn and then somehow still win the game.

That is really the difference between good teams and bad teams. Good teams can take it easy and still come out winning. Bad teams need to play at 100% for 3 periods or else they will lose.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yup. We buried them while they let us.

The early goals were huge and the way they went in would rattle any team. The two non garbage goas were mccann's 2nd and dorsett's. Everything else was deflected, batted or poorly played. I'll definitely take it.

I felt we were going to get some puck luck at some point after having none in previous games, edmonton and detroit games had pucks being pulled off the goal line, and i cant forget daniels miss into an empty net. It was bound to balance out.

arsmaster*

1 point behind la when we were mathews candididates.

Only spin here is you

He's clearly talking about drop the sopel claiming this is our best 9 games to start a season in a long time. 4 wins in 9 is not that and MS refuted that by looking through all of our 9 game starts. No spin. Don't know why I bothered with this but maybe you'll get it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1 point behind la when we were mathews candididates.

Only spin here is you

Numbers are facts. You can't spin them.

We've played decently, haven't gotten great results.

But it's a fact that this is our worst 9-game start since 2009. To try and claim it's our best October in years is just ... bizarre.

Edit - I misread the numbers in 2011 and that start was slightly worse. But regardless it hasn't been a terrific start.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
They weren't dominated... Look at the raw Corsi against numbers... Lowest on the team as well... They played it to a wash mostly vs the top line. They did their jobs just fine.
Not you specificly intangibles, but This is my issue when people run with these numbers... PERFECT example of context.

I've never argued that Corsi isn't just the best way to grade players on their own, and that context is important. They are a great starting place, though.

Am I reading this right but did we do badly against Petry-Emelin but well against Markov-Subban?

Subban seemed like a complete non-factor last night. Honestly one of the worst games I've seen from him for a long time.

Because corsi isn't the be all, end all of hockey. Sometimes the eye test mattes more.

Obviously Corsi isn't the be all end all of hockey. I'd argue, though, that Corsi in a vacuum is better (for the average non-scout fan) than the eye test. They should be used together, though.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Mikael Samuelsson must have had god-like corsi numbers.

Yeah, he had pretty good corsi numbers in the years he was good here. I didn't really get into analytics until 2012/2013, so I'm not sure if that stems from playing with excellent possession drivers like Henrik and Kesler (prime) or if he's just a good possession driver himself (too lazy to look at WOWY)

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Numbers are facts. You can't spin them.

We've played decently, haven't gotten great results.

But it's a fact that this is our worst 9-game start since 2009. To try and claim it's our best October in years is just ... bizarre.

Edit - I misread the numbers in 2011 and that start was slightly worse. But regardless it hasn't been a terrific start.

They're on pace for 100 points. Things aren't *that* bad, are they?

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
They're on pace for 100 points. Things aren't *that* bad, are they?

Stop spinning things... or at least stop using facts. Because. Spin.

I have been impressed with the canucks compete level. They have been competitive in every game so far, and have not looked outclassed yet. Sure the season is young, but that is a massive positive going forward.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Jim Benning's plan is all coming together, and Willie Desjardin's coaching plan is starting to look smart.

Gotta hand it to these guys!!!

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Great 9 game stretch for Miller. He and Tanev have been our most consistent/best players.

Although this is what we should expect at his price tag.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Jim Benning's plan is all coming together, and Willie Desjardin's coaching plan is starting to look smart.

Gotta hand it to these guys!!!

He (WD) changed it, his previous coaching choices still look dumb.

The one Benning move that looks waaaaay better is the Kassian trade. Obviously none of us knew he had substance abuse issues keeping him out, when we were told it was his back.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Not at all. In comparison to past years, this has been our worst start since 2009. There's no spin on that whatsoever. It's fact.

This is incorrect. Not a fact in any way, shape or form.

You also have to look at how the team has played, not just the win loss column. The Canucks have been the better team in 7-8 of their 9 games thus far and have played 2 bad periods in 27. They haven't strung 2 poor periods together yet and their low point of the season has been a couple hard fought, 1 goal losses to elite teams.

If Daniel Sedin doesn't somehow miss that goal line tap-in we're on pace for 110 point season. Not bad a for a club that many were predicting to finish 13-15th in the Western conference.

Best of all, they've done it with very little in the way of production from their $20mil front line trio. In recent years this team would be sunk when the twins didn't factor into the scoring. But this is a 4 line team getting contributions up and down the line up and it's very encouraging to see they can win games without their top end players contributing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is incorrect. Not a fact in any way, shape or form.

You also have to look at how the team has played, not just the win loss column. The Canucks have been the better team in 7-8 of their 9 games thus far and have played 2 bad periods in 27. They haven't strung 2 poor periods together yet and their low point of the season has been a couple hard fought, 1 goal losses to elite teams.

If Daniel Sedin doesn't somehow miss that goal line tap-in we're on pace for 110 point season. Not bad a for a club that many were predicting to finish 13-15th in the Western conference.

Best of all, they've done it with very little in the way of production from their $20mil front line trio. In recent years this team would be sunk when the twins didn't factor into the scoring. But this is a 4 line team getting contributions up and down the line up and it's very encouraging to see they can win games without their top end players contributing.

Agreed. Let's forget the results and let's just look at how they are on the ice. Just like the Sedins dominated their way to 4 points in 6 games in the playoffs last year. Results don't matter, we'll just be given the Cup because the league feels we deserve it, while we continue to lose games.

:help:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Agreed. Let's forget the results and let's just look at how they are on the ice. Just like the Sedins dominated their way to 4 points in 6 games in the playoffs last year. Results don't matter, we'll just be given the Cup because the league feels we deserve it, while we continue to lose games.

:help:

Who said anything about forgetting the results? The Canuck are on pace for one of their best seasons in franchise history.

Feel free to take their record into account. But if you're going to overlook the actual game-play, your 'analysis' is essentially meaningless.

This team has outplayed the opposition more than they've been outplayed this season. That's what good teams do. They don't have the firepower to be an elite team in the West anymore, but everyone's been well aware of that for years now.

I hope your next post is better than the last...

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Who said anything about forgetting the results? The Canuck are on pace for one of their best seasons in franchise history.

We are "on pace" for 100 points, which would be tied for our 7th best season (out of 11) since the 2005 lockout. No need to overdo it.

We've had a solid start and some players have been surprisingly good — Miller especially, who it's fair to say has vastly exceeded expectations so far — but it's a long season and one of our few good defenders just got injured. A little early to spike the football here.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
We are "on pace" for 100 points, which would be tied for our 7th best season (out of 11) since the 2005 lockout. No need for hyperbole.

We've had a solid start and some players have been surprisingly good — Miller especially, who it's fair to say has vastly exceeded expectations so far —*but it's a long season and one of our few good defenders just got injured. A little early to spike the football here.

I'm not saying this team will finish with 100 points, I'm saying they've played like a 100+ point team through 9 games. They're unlucky to have the record they do IMO.

Injuries always play a huge role in team performance and this year will be no different. I'm also weighing their performance against expectations, as I think it's pretty obvious we don't have the horses to be an elite club. To that end, the group has performed very very well, even if the standings say they've only been good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad