Post-Game Talk: Ryan Miller defends his record; Canuck streak breakers

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hmm, this seems different than my eye test for some players. Didn't think Virtanen, Sutter and Burrows were that bad. I mean, I was underwhelmed by those 3, but I didn't think they were completely dominated in terms of possession.

They weren't dominated... Look at the raw Corsi against numbers... Lowest on the team as well... They played it to a wash mostly vs the top line. They did their jobs just fine.
Not you specificly intangibles, but This is my issue when people run with these numbers... PERFECT example of context.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
They weren't dominated... Look at the raw Corsi against numbers... Lowest on the team as well... They played it to a wash mostly vs the top line. They did their jobs just fine.
Not you specificly intangibles, but This is my issue when people run with these numbers... PERFECT example of context.

VcdmWkJ.png

Run on these. Shows who they got faced the most and who they "out-possessed" the most.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Hmm, this seems different than my eye test for some players. Didn't think Virtanen, Sutter and Burrows were that bad. I mean, I was underwhelmed by those 3, but I didn't think they were completely dominated in terms of possession.

Because corsi isn't the be all, end all of hockey. Sometimes the eye test mattes more.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Price was pretty unlucky I thought as well. Quite a few weird bounces that lead to the goals.

Yep, a little from column A and a little from column B.

Just a very weird night overall for him starting with the whiff on the first goal.

And what are the chances of the Canadiens letting in THREE in the first period considering they haven't let in ONE in nine straight first periods?

I guess the gods of probability finally caught up to them. It definitely was an enjoyable game though and it felt like more of a Saturday game then a Tuesday game.

Too bad about Prust though. Freak accident. Hope he's ok.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Its too bad Sbisa can throw some decent hits because he is a horrible hockey player and Willie/Benning will keep him in the lineup :(

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
We've still lost 5 games and won 4.

My analytic sense is that we are losing more games than winning them.

On the other hand, *my* analytic sense tells me that you don't really understand what a win-loss record means.

The Canucks are 3-2 in regulation, and have gone to the coin-flip of 3o3OT/SO 4 times, where their record is 1-3. Even getting to the coin flip is an accomplishment (beats losing), but the coin flips themselves are basically meaningless.... if one of them had gone the other way we'd have 5 wins. So what? You're right there are no loser points in the playoffs, but there is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs either, so who cares?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
On the other hand, *my* analytic sense tells me that you don't really understand what a win-loss record means.

The Canucks are 3-2 in regulation, and have gone to the coin-flip of 3o3OT/SO 4 times, where their record is 1-3. Even getting to the coin flip is an accomplishment (beats losing), but the coin flips themselves are basically meaningless.... if one of them had gone the other way we'd have 5 wins. So what? You're right there are no loser points in the playoffs, but there is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs either, so who cares?

Overtime LOSS
Shootout LOSS
Regulation LOSS

We have lost more than we have won. It's not hard to understand.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Always overjoyed when we beat montreal in front of the tiresome Mtl fans in Vancouver. Hope they paid a fortune for their tickets ....

45 years of the chant. love to see them get stomped.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This team has had a complete and utter dearth of one shot scorers over the last handful of years. Benning proceeds to add Vrbata, Sutter, McCann and Virtanen to the team in under 18 months to help fill that void - with late 1st Rd pick Brock Boeser potentially being a year away as well.

For my money, that is the biggest positive going forward. The fact they've managed to add those scorers, incorporate a ton of youth, while also being a better possession team is as impressive as it's been surprising. Moving a handful of vets for picks while also accomplishing this has just been the icing on the cake.

9 games, 9 good performances from the team and Ryan Miller. Can't remember the last time I could say that about a Canuck club coming out of October.

To be fair Gillis started doing this even earlier with guys like Shinkaruk and Jensen.. they just haven't made the team. It's definitely a nice change to have those kind of guys in the lineup.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
No, most everyone still hates him. They decided they were going to hate him before the season started, and they're following through no matter what he does on the ice.

Exactly prust sutter and Miller will always be hated here. I mean we could have Kassian, lack, and Kesler instead which would be a much better team rt now. They were in the playoff hunt half way through the season last time they played together

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Exactly prust sutter and Miller will always be hated here. I mean we could have Kassian, lack, and Kesler instead which would be a much better team rt now. They were in the playoff hunt half way through the season last time they played together

If we had kept Kesler, despite his vocal objections wanting out, kept Lack and sent Kassian to rehab we'd be a better team now? :amazed:

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
No, most everyone still hates him. They decided they were going to hate him before the season started, and they're following through no matter what he does on the ice.

He was good tonight but let's not pretend that he is anything more than an aging 4th liner :laugh:

Good game by the good guys, Price looked very human tonight.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Overtime LOSS
Shootout LOSS
Regulation LOSS

We have lost more than we have won. It's not hard to understand.

That's a true statement. Unfortunately for you, "Losing" isn't black and white, Lots of grey area when we talk about gaining single points. (which is important in the long run)

arsmaster*

That's a true statement. Unfortunately for you, "Losing" isn't black and white, Lots of grey area when we talk about gaining single points. (which is important in the long run)

But they didn't gain single points. They lost them.

They're performing pretty well, I just think there is a bit of hyperbole going on with how well they're playing. Last night was good but Carey Price looked more like Jim Carrey last night than he did the reigning MVP of the league.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

They're performing pretty well, I just think there is a bit of hyperbole going on with how well they're playing. Last night was good but Carey Price looked more like Jim Carrey last night than he did the reigning MVP of the league.

If you want to get into the semantics, you don't lose points, since you start out with zero on the season. You only gain points, or not receive any.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask

Puck luck definitely was with the Canucks and not price but the nucks deserved to win.

arsmaster*

If you want to get into the semantics, you don't lose points, since you start out with zero on the season. You only gain points, or not receive any.

So you don't think blowing a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period is bad?

They were set up for 2 points and only got one.

Semantics or not, they blew points at least they got the loser point. It's better than not.

arsmaster*

Puck luck definitely was with the Canucks and not price but the nucks deserved to win.

Yup. We buried them while they let us.

The early goals were huge and the way they went in would rattle any team. The two non garbage goas were mccann's 2nd and dorsett's. Everything else was deflected, batted or poorly played. I'll definitely take it.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Yup. We buried them while they let us.

The early goals were huge and the way they went in would rattle any team. The two non garbage goas were mccann's 2nd and dorsett's. Everything else was deflected, batted or poorly played. I'll definitely take it.

This is the way goals are scored in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad