Player Discussion: Ryan McDonagh

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The guy is 32 and playing better than ever before. Honestly McD was not nearly as good in his alleged prime with the Rangers as he is now. This signing feels more and more like a mastermind move. Some defensemen reach their prime relatively late, so who knows. I agree with @The Gongshow, no chance he's going to Seattle.

He was this good in New York and was one of the best D in the league back then. His last series against Montreal? He shut down their top players and posted 10 points in 6 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoek

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
People have mentioned concern of him declining, but we have to remember we still have Heddy as our true #1.

We've been giving McDonagh the tougher matchups and minutes to help save/keep Hedman rested and fresh for the playoffs. But we can also start to switch that around to keep McDonagh's minutes down to the 16-18 mark as well.

I've liked what the couching staff has done with how they've handled Hedman-McD-Serg minutes

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I have no reason to think McDonagh won't be worth his salary during the rest of his time with a NTC. Defensemen can, and often do, follow different aging curves than forwards. You can't put a price on having a pairing like him and Cernak in the playoffs. Genuine shutdown pairing. Think this postseason has confirmed that there's no way this organization leaves him exposed.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I have no reason to think McDonagh won't be worth his salary during the rest of his time with a NTC. Defensemen can, and often do, follow different aging curves than forwards. You can't put a price on having a pairing like him and Cernak in the playoffs. Genuine shutdown pairing. Think this postseason has confirmed that there's no way this organization leaves him exposed.
I think people just don't want a Seabrook situation. I can't see McDonagh falling off a cliff that hard.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He seems to be a good enough skater and smart enough to not go off a cliff, but you never know. Personally I think it's a bet worth taking.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He seems to be a good enough skater and smart enough to not go off a cliff, but you never know. Personally I think it's a bet worth taking.
The guy is a playoff warrior. He's also paired with a stud in Cernak, who might not get as much credit. Might help with any decline as well, but I seriously don't see any decline for another 2-3 years.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The guy is a playoff warrior. He's also paired with a stud in Cernak, who might not get as much credit. Might help with any decline as well, but I seriously don't see any decline for another 2-3 years.

It'll take an injury to slow him down, but I think the recovery play we seen him make on Caufield last night doesn't happen in a few years. A lot of hard miles on that body already.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It'll take an injury to slow him down, but I think the recovery play we seen him make on Caufield last night doesn't happen in a few years. A lot of hard miles on that body already.
He'll just have ro rely on sound positioning then and take less risks/pinches

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

McD having his own boat parade

I will die laughing if that's at the same lake as Jim Rome's summer home. He'll talk about this for a month. Way to go MacDaddy, can't wait to see you back on the ice. Enjoy the celebration!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Is he worth keeping? Will he able to play 70/82 games in a season (not with playoffs) Since 2017 he have about average 50 games a season, that cant be good enough?
Well that's kinda been because of Covid... Since he got here he's only missed 29 games over ~4 years.

His contract will probably look really ugly in the later years, but given how good he is now (see: last playoffs) we're 100% better off keeping him.

Reactions: NatoGhost

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well that's kinda been because of Covid... Since he got here he's only missed 29 games over ~4 years.

His contract will probably look really ugly in the later years, but given how good he is now (see: last playoffs) we're 100% better off keeping him.
I also don't necessarily think the contract will look "ugly". I don't think he's a guy who's going to fall off a cliff, but rather have like a steady decline (more of a Ryan Suter-type). But I don't think we're going to be contenders that last year or two anyway.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I also don't necessarily think the contract will look "ugly". I don't think he's a guy who's going to fall off a cliff, but rather have like a steady decline (more of a Ryan Suter-type). But I don't think we're going to be contenders that last year or two anyway.

Pretty much how I would see it as well. Four years left on his contract after this year and he'll be 36 when the contract ends, coincidentally enough the same age Suter was when he was bought out last year. McD's always been an excellent skater, which should help him. I'm sure he'll still be perfectly useful for at least the next two seasons, which is during our contention window anyway. And after that his contract will be down to only 1-2 years anyway at which point it's not too big of an anchor anymore anyway just due to lack of remaining term.

He's got an NTC anyway so while we're still Cup contenders he's probably not too big on being traded right now. Maybe towards the end of the contract if we're struggling and there's someone out there interested. Whatever. Years down the road, so not a bridge we're gonna be crossing anytime soon anyway.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Mcdonagh has shown no regression since he's been here. Game has looked the same and his positioning covers for everything. The contract will age well. Look at all these garbage contracts for "elite" defenseman. Lol.

Go look at the assists this guy got last postseason. Off the top of my head, from memory (cause he was a gamebreaker for both offense and defense)

Game 1 against FL, assisted on Points GWG breakaway

Game 7 assist on the ECF series clinching goal

Assist on the Coleman diving goal

Assist on the Cup clinching goal (credit to Savard too)

I've forgotten the others at the moment but he had 5-7 plays where his transition left an absolutely incredible mark on the series. He's calm and poised in a way even Hedman isn't.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Mcdonagh has shown no regression since he's been here. Game has looked the same and his positioning covers for everything. The contract will age well. Look at all these garbage contracts for "elite" defenseman. Lol.

Go look at the assists this guy got last postseason. Off the top of my head, from memory (cause he was a gamebreaker for both offense and defense)

Game 1 against FL, assisted on Points GWG breakaway

Game 7 assist on the ECF series clinching goal

Assist on the Coleman diving goal

Assist on the Cup clinching goal (credit to Savard too)

I've forgotten the others at the moment but he had 5-7 plays where his transition left an absolutely incredible mark on the series. He's calm and poised in a way even Hedman isn't.

Last post-season really showed that he's still a #1 when required. Hedman was injured, so McDonagh stepped up. Earned the entire contract in four rounds, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00