Player Discussion: Ryan McDonagh

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He's a solid defenseman and makes us better. Doesn't mean we can afford him, and someone needs to go to Seattle.

Getting out from under his contract next year certainly makes us worse on D next year, but relative to our other choices in getting salary down may only be marginally worse than other options. Being free of his that cap hit in his age 34/35/36 almost certainly makes us better in those years, along with the future assets we save by letting Seattle take him to incentivize them to also take TJ or similar.

We should absolutely celebrate him while we have him, and if he's one of your favorite players I get how hard it is to think about losing him.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
No doubt he's playing great and earning his money. The last few years of his deal still scare me but he definitely makes us better now. Definitely wouldn't want to keep him to pay Savard 4m. He was OK today but I only see us resigning Savard if he takes 2m or less.
Savard is 30 and can get probably one more decent pay for 5 year contract. If he wants to ring chase he could stay with us but it would have to be for much less than what another team will offer.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Savard is 30 and can get probably one more decent pay for 5 year contract. If he wants to ring chase he could stay with us but it would have to be for much less than what another team will offer.

I just dont see a huge offer coming for him after his play for both CBJ and us this year. Everyone thought Bogo would get more than he got as well. Savard seems about the same player to me. Some could argue better some could argue worse and Bogo got 1m.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I just dont see a huge offer coming for him after his play for both CBJ and us this year. Everyone thought Bogo would get more than he got as well. Savard seems about the same player to me. Some could argue better some could argue worse and Bogo got 1m.

Bogo took less to go to Toronto...but that's irrelevant because Savard's optics aren't even close to the same as Bogosian's.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah I can't see Savard getting more than a 3yx2m-type contract. Just not particularly impressive. He seems to be improving, but for a defensive dman he's too passive at the blueline and not great at disrupting the cycle.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Yeah I can't see Savard getting more than a 3yx2m-type contract. Just not particularly impressive. He seems to be improving, but for a defensive dman he's too passive at the blueline and not great at disrupting the cycle.

I would rather gamble on Foote improving his skating next year at a cheaper price than Savard getting faster and skating with the speed of our team.

Reactions: Stammertime91

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
McDonagh is a monster. Get rid of him and we have no cups. No way should we expose him to Seattle. I will take his contract for the next few years. He is showing no signs of slowing down.
Agree 100%, our best d man throughout the playoffs so far!!!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
0 chance we should be offering him up to Seattle. This guy has proven he's an important piece of this team and with a banged up Hedman this guy has stepped up. That's what great players/leaders do. He wears an A on that sweater for a reason.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The guy is 32 and playing better than ever before. Honestly McD was not nearly as good in his alleged prime with the Rangers as he is now. This signing feels more and more like a mastermind move. Some defensemen reach their prime relatively late, so who knows. I agree with @The Gongshow, no chance he's going to Seattle.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, as much as it would help our cap situation to figure something out with Seattle you simply can't. Guys who can excel at defense in the playoffs you hold onto and never let go.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad