Player Discussion: Ryan McDonagh

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
giphy.gif

BackLightningBack

May 12, 2022
Thanks for everything McDonagh!! Wish you the best and wish you didn't have to go. Since you arrived, the Lightning sure benefited from your play! Plus, during last years "Cup" win, you carried us defensely. Thanks again....🙂

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
McDonagh was certainly more important than Serge on the Lightning run and still would be today. I’m not going to suggest he was more important than Heddy before this year. But this year? It would be close. Boy do we miss this guy

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It was a calculated risk to move McD at the time he did, but most understood why. However, he could've kept him this year to keep the team as strong as possible defensively while accepting that he would probably have to move assets to trade him after the season. Many said that McD was already declining badly near the end of the year, but he's been pretty solid for a mediocre Nashville team this season. Nothing they can do now, but it's looking like moving him was a mistake, at least in regards to the team's success defensively this season.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
It was a calculated risk to move McD at the time he did, but most understood why. However, he could've kept him this year to keep the team as strong as possible defensively while accepting that he would probably have to move assets to trade him after the season. Many said that McD was already declining badly near the end of the year, but he's been pretty solid for a mediocre Nashville team this season. Nothing they can do now, but it's looking like moving him was a mistake, at least in regards to the team's success defensively this season.
Yep, I understood it at the time, but he was basically replaced by Cole, who’s been ok, and Names, who sucked. Atleast from a cap perspective. Think JBB whiffed here

Reactions: JTBF81

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I understood the McDonagh deal even if I didn't like it, the moves and non-moves that came afterwards is what irritated me. JBB was so concerned with cost certainty and locking up Cirelli/Sergachev/Cernak that he undermined our chances of winning this year.

Cole for what it's worth has done his part with eating up minutes in the defensive zone, but one of our greatest strengths the last three seasons was throwing McDonagh-Cernak out there in high leverage situations. Just like the positive effects of adding a #1 defenseman to a team is compounded by how much less each individual defenseman has to play tough minutes, the reverse is true as well. The hope that Sergachev would "step up" and that Hedman could handle extra duties without a hitch.

It's not a big coincidence that everyone on the d core looks a notch worse this year, and the amazing thing is there were people here saying McDonagh's contributions could be matched by a bottom 6 defensive defenseman.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I get the nostalgia but McD was a lot less reliable last playoffs than the years before. It’s more the forwards’ defense that’s giving me headaches these days and we could really use a guy like Rutta on the bottom pairing.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I get the nostalgia but McD was a lot less reliable last playoffs than the years before. It’s more the forwards’ defense that’s giving me headaches these days and we could really use a guy like Rutta on the bottom pairing.

Hedman was even worse, the biggest thing is that nobody has replaced McDonagh's defensive game. Hedman's offense has been somewhat taken over by Sergachev and the most logical McD replcement was Hedman who stinks right now.

Hedman used to be a rock, McDonagh even moreso while Sergachev has laspes - it was fine with those 2 in front of him, now there's no McDonagh, Hedman is less than reliable and Sergachev's defensive game is never going to be his strength.

Reactions: Stammertime91

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Anytime a goal is scored it’s because of the defenseman, get it! They have “defense” in their position! No, I am not interested in nuance.

Reactions: The Macho King

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Anytime a goal is scored it’s because of the defenseman, get it! They have “defense” in their position! No, I am not interested in nuance.
Agree, not always the case. But I believe all fair regulation goals were direct results of defensemen either turning the puck over or letting someone behind them flying the zone. Particularly Serge trying to be a Harlem Globetrotter.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
McDonagh really took alot of weight off Hedman. Now that Headman has to be the guy again he's lost a step and too exhausted.

We really needed 2 more years of elite Hedman to allow Serg 2 more years of development to then transition into LD1

Also the noticeable decline I'm Cernaks play as well. Him and McDonagh were such a solid pairing

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
McDonagh really took alot of weight off Hedman. Now that Headman has to be the guy again he's lost a step and too exhausted.

We really needed 2 more years of elite Hedman to allow Serg 2 more years of development to then transition into LD1
I don't think it's a given that Serg will ever develop into a #1. I think offensive #2 is the ceiling there, and he's getting pretty close to it. He's been really good offensively this year, but IMO he's never gonna be a dependable horse.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't think it's a given that Serg will ever develop into a #1. I think offensive #2 is the ceiling there, and he's getting pretty close to it. He's been really good offensively this year, but IMO he's never gonna be a dependable horse.
Hes definetly stepped up offensively, but with the money he is making, he was always slotted to become the guy. Whether he can actually hold is own there time will tell, but weather he's ready or not he'll be thrust into the role regardless.

They have no other options even close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad