Player Discussion: Ryan McDonagh

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Hard to single anyone out in that thrashing, but it’s obvious our entire LD is hurting pretty bad. McD especially has been looking tired.
I'm not sure who's disappointing me more in the first two games, Hedman or McD. Both have taken knocks and seen the tunnel. Hedman is playing like his brain was in the microwave pre game and McDonagh isn't far off from that.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
McD had another terrible game, defensively. Really he’s got to be the one to go, cap wise. It’s a shame because we can’t replace him with anyone remotely as good, but he’s just not worth the contract when we’re gonna lose other guys to cap causalities.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
McD had another terrible game, defensively. Really he’s got to be the one to go, cap wise. It’s a shame because we can’t replace him with anyone remotely as good, but he’s just not worth the contract when we’re gonna lose other guys to cap causalities.
Might be having a rough couple of games (I think he still was okay), but he's consistently been one of the best D on our 3 runs. We don't win one, let alone two Stanley Cups without him. And we likely wouldn't currently be in the SCF without him.
No way in hell we'd get rid of him, unless we wanna stop chasing the Cup.

Reactions: Peacefool

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Like i mentioned after game 5, I think the door has cracked open for a McD/Sergachev debate. Recency bias says Sergachev cause he's been solid and McD (and Hedman for that matter) have been mediocre to poor, but if McD is battling through injuries, I still don't know if we move him.

He does look to be expendable when THAT version of Sergachev shows up, but more often than not, that version isn't the one that does. It's either Sergachev or McDonagh for me. You simply can't put that much into the backend when your forward core needs scoring. With Killorn holding a 0 over his head for 21 games, and maybe losing Palat/Paul, we need a scoring winger. Our right side hasn't been an issue this series. It's mainly been a lackadaisical Hedman and McDonagh. Cernak, Rutta and Bogo have been pretty solid.

I imagine JBB is mulling over this decision too. Has to happen while McD has great value and before Sergachev would get a raise.

And this is coming from one of the McDonagh fans here. It's a business. Will always love Mac!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can't see us moving McDonagh. We've won two cups based on defense, and, by my eye, he's about as injured as Hedman was in the 2nd run.

I think we ride or die with our top-4 D until our window closes, and we try to replace forwards as best we can along the way.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Can't see us moving McDonagh. We've won two cups based on defense, and, by my eye, he's about as injured as Hedman was in the 2nd run.

I think we ride or die with our top-4 D until our window closes, and we try to replace forwards as best we can along the way.
The problem is, they can't. Keeping both McD and Serg means likely losing both Palat and Killorn between this year and next(maybe keeping Paul) and still having very little, if any cap space for any F replacements(after re-signing the rfas). The forward group is going to lose even more depth in that scenario, and Tampa would really need at least two, if not three of the Syracuse guys to really step up and contribute considerably or find more guys at basically league min to be serviceable.

If keeping Serg over McD is their plan, they can wait until after next year, then ask McD to waive his ntc. If he doesn't, then a buyout could also be on the table, as the cap hits could be managed. 430k the 1st year works nicely with the min cap raise, then 1.9 as the cap presumably starts to increase more in '24-'25. It gets bad for one year at 4.6, then the last three are just over 2. Not saying this should be the top option, but it could be considered.

Reactions: Lightningdraftslast

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The problem is, they can't. Keeping both McD and Serg means likely losing both Palat and Killorn between this year and next(maybe keeping Paul) and still having very little, if any cap space for any F replacements(after re-signing the rfas). The forward group is going to lose even more depth in that scenario, and Tampa would really need at least two, if not three of the Syracuse guys to really step up and contribute considerably or find more guys at basically league min to be serviceable.

If keeping Serg over McD is their plan, they can wait until after next year, then ask McD to waive his ntc. If he doesn't, then a buyout could also be on the table, as the cap hits could be managed. 430k the 1st year works nicely with the min cap raise, then 1.9 as the cap presumably starts to increase more in '24-'25. It gets bad for one year at 4.6, then the last three are just over 2. Not saying this should be the top option, but it could be considered.
I really think we will just lose the forwards and keep the top-4 D. If that means Killorn, Palat, and Paul? My guess is that's what we do. Because each of those guys are easier to replace than McDonagh -- we didn't even start the year with Paul, and Hagel works as a replacement for one.

I think we are going to ask Palat to take a paycut, and offer a lot of term. If he doesn't take it, that's great. We wish him well. We will probably move Killorn. Can't see us affording Paul.

McDonagh - Cernak is one of the biggest factors in both of our cup wins. Probably the biggest factor in 2021, above even Vasy. I don't think Cooper wants to lose that, and I don't think JBB will take it away from him.

All we ever really do is score with our 1st line and top PP unit anyway. That's the way it's been on both cup runs, and this SCF. We are essentially replacing those guys with Brayden Point.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I really think we will just lose the forwards and keep the top-4 D. If that means Killorn, Palat, and Paul? My guess is that's what we do. Because each of those guys are easier to replace than McDonagh -- we didn't even start the year with Paul, and Hagel works as a replacement for one.

I think we are going to ask Palat to take a paycut, and offer a lot of term. If he doesn't take it, that's great. We wish him well. We will probably move Killorn. Can't see us affording Paul.

McDonagh - Cernak is one of the biggest factors in both of our cup wins. Probably the biggest factor in 2021, above even Vasy. I don't think Cooper wants to lose that, and I don't think JBB will take it away from him.

All we ever really do is score with our 1st line and top PP unit anyway. That's the way it's been on both cup runs, and this SCF. We are essentially replacing those guys with Brayden Point.
Maybe, but if they watch Palat and Paul walk and trade Killorn, the F group is just weak moving ahead after 5 guys really.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

They can also give Palat up to 5, and Paul in the 3 range and make it work next year(provided Killorn is moved). I don't think they moved Joseph out for Paul thinking there was no chance they could.keep either of them. In that scenario, they'll lose Rutta as well this off season, but there was a decent possibility of that happening regardless. If JBB doesn't want to make a decision on McD or one of the rfas, he can wait until next Summer. By then, McD is 34 and Serg is 25, and if Serg starts to look more consistently like Serg from last night during next season, then moving McD is not out of the question. I've tried to make several lineups for '23-'24, and the forward group is just not looking like a strong unit if Tampa sinks everything into the defense these next couple of seasons.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Agree with us keeping McD. Top 4 (arguably 2) defensemen are a lot harder to come by than wingers. It was the same in the expansion last year, some people wanted to expose McDonagh instead of gourde.

Historically, the Lightning have always had high octane offense, with suspect - bad defense and goaltending. Now that our defense is good, why do people want to get rid of that? We can spare the forwards imo.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agree with us keeping McD. Top 4 (arguably 2) defensemen are a lot harder to come by than wingers. It was the same in the expansion last year, some people wanted to expose McDonagh instead of gourde.

Historically, the Lightning have always had high octane offense, with suspect - bad defense and goaltending. Now that our defense is good, why do people want to get rid of that? We can spare the forwards imo.
Yeah, and almost all of our scoring has come from the top line and the top PP unit under Cooper. Every once in a while we get a hot 3rd line or 4th line, but the 2nd line always seems to be the one we complain about under-performing. At a certain point you have to think it's just part of Cooper hockey.

I mean, for as much love as we give the famed Gourde line... they really didn't score very much at all in the playoffs. Our bottom-6 this year might actually score a bit more than last year's.

And, while Cirelli's scoring is a touch down from last year, I don't think there's any argument at all that he hasn't been much, MUCH better this year. Our second line just doesn't score. It is what it is, and what it's always been.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

No need to lose all three of Palat, McD, and Killorn. We can easily fit any one of the three under the cap (just can't easily fit more than one).

McDonagh could well be hurt, but his performance has been mediocre this whole playoff -- way, way too many failed clears. But doesn't really matter now, he's got a full no-trade clause; only way to move him is what we tried with Johnson (send him down and hope someone claims).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No need to lose all three of Palat, McD, and Killorn. We can easily fit any one of the three under the cap (just can't easily fit more than one).

McDonagh could well be hurt, but his performance has been mediocre this whole playoff -- way, way too many failed clears. But doesn't really matter now, he's got a full no-trade clause; only way to move him is what we tried with Johnson (send him down and hope someone claims).
He blocks a lot of shots. I think a couple of early ones got him badly. He was great in the region season and last playoffs.

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
He blocks a lot of shots. I think a couple of early ones got him badly. He was great in the region season and last playoffs.

Could be, but unless he actually broke a bone it's odd for a shot-block injury to linger for over a month and a half.

But who knows, maybe he broke a digit or a wrist bone or something and it's f***ing with his clears.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.

If they choose to keep McD and Serg, by season after next they will have one of the worst looking bottom 6 F units around, unless some of the Syracuse players take a big step. The team will have 27.77 million to sign Serg, Cirelli, Cernak, Colton, Foote, and 7 other players(4 or 5 other F, 1-2 dmen, and a backup G). If they keep Paul for let's say in the 3 range, now they'll have 24.77 for 11 players. Those 5 mentioned above are going to eat a big chunk. I'm estimating those 5 will require around 20-21 million to keep. So that leaves 3 77-4 77 for 5 players. A back up G is 800-900k, so now ~3 to ~4 million left for 4 players. Guys like Koepke, Fortier etc can take 2 spots and then hopefully one of Thompson/Perbix/Day etc can be the 7th D. Maybe there would be enough space to sign one free agent to min level, but it would be close. No Palat, Killorn or Rutta, guaranteed. Maybe keeping McD for his 35-37 year old seasons is worth it, but it's not a open and shut call to have 3 or 4 elc/min contracts making up the bottom 6 as a result.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Love him but we're so cap strapped and with as many guys on big contracts it might be time to move on from some expensive highly paid guys as they're getting old. Let Serg continue to gain responsibility and sign a vet LD for bottom pair and/or bring a young guy up if someone is ready.

If not this year for McD then hopefully next when Serg is an RFA again.

Better to move away from aging players too early than too late because it leaves you options. Trade deadline deals to add for a run you still need some cap space.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
GOAT. Loved him before the trade, during his time here, and will after. Strictly business. I rarely buy any merch with a players name on it. Actually only own 91, 77 and McD from this current group. Says a lot. Guy is awesome on and off the ice. See you McD!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Going to miss McDonagh but it had to be done, he was a warrior during those cup runs.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Thank you, Warrior, for everything you did. It sucks to lose him, but it has to be done. Good luck with new team, and thank you McDonagh!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks for everything McD! The memories, the stability you brought, the defense first and shot blocking culture you helped implement, the goals, and of course the TWO CUPS! Absolute warrior! All the best in Nashville!

Reactions: Peacefool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad