Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
His reads on D have been improving to the level that we expect from him and his offense is starting to catch up, hes been joining the rush more effectively

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Good to hear. It still bothers me that we got rid of Stralman and our D will most likely never be as good as peak last year. :( But McD going back to form will go a long way towards solidifying it nonetheless.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Good to hear. It still bothers me that we got rid of Stralman and our D will most likely never be as good as peak last year. :( But McD going back to form will go a long way towards solidifying it nonetheless.

there are more Stralman's out there, and they will come. I think Klein was necessary to take some of Stralman's minutes due to the cap restraints we had this year. There is a good chance Brady Skjei becomes even better than Stralman is

I think many of our defensive woes have been due to Forward Corps turnover... that will sort itself out, as we've seen in the last few games

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
there are more Stralman's out there, and they will come. I think Klein was necessary to take some of Stralman's minutes due to the cap restraints we had this year.

I think many of our defensive woes have been due to Forward Corps turnover... that will sort itself out, as we've seen in the last few games

If we had cap constraints why did we sign Boyle?

Last edited:

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
Am I the only person who thinks McD has been very average this year? Granted he set the bar very high for himself, but seems like there is way more turnovers and bad plays from him than we saw last year. Hope being captain isn't affecting his play.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Am I the only person who thinks McD has been very average this year? Granted he set the bar very high for himself, but seems like there is way more turnovers and bad plays from him than we saw last year. Hope being captain isn't affecting his play.

He got off to a pretty brutal start and then the injury happened. He has looked much better and appears to be rounding into form these past 10 games, thankfully.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
7pts in 10 games since coming back from his injury.. hes reading plays better and solid defense. Any negative comments are nitpicking.. guy has been playing great..

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's back. I think he has another level in him, but he's back.

So is Staal to a large degree. The Rangers have played flawless D for large parts of the winning streak and a big part of that is the defense being such pros.

Shout out to Matt Hunwick for some solid play too.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
As I was saying in another thread I'm just happy here isn't stupidily turning the puck over as much anymore. He offense he adds again is gravy but we obviously need him first and foremost for his defense.

There are still some flashes that lead me to be,i eve he's not "there" yet but he's definitely getting much better.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
still think naming him Captain was a mistake... MSL should have taken it, raised McD into a Captain, and then cermoniously handed the Captaincy to McDonagh...

Not only would have been much more classy, but it would take a **** ton of pressure of McDonagh.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
still think naming him Captain was a mistake... MSL should have taken it, raised McD into a Captain, and then cermoniously handed the Captaincy to McDonagh...

Not only would have been much more classy, but it would take a **** ton of pressure of McDonagh.

This is what I would have done

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Fans turned on him twice in less than a year. Same with Nash.

I never get fans who destroy a guy coming off an injury. Even worse when's it's two injuries.

Strip him of his C, bench him...

The guy is the franchise after Lundqvist.

I'm not destroying him... I'm talking about the beginning of the season... MSL should have been named captain. I know it wouldn't be conventional considering he just got here, but there was no reason to rush McD into captaincy

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
He looks much better. Like something clicked. Not sure he's in top gear yet, but I'm lots more confident in him now than I was a few weeks ago.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm not destroying him... I'm talking about the beginning of the season... MSL should have been named captain. I know it wouldn't be conventional considering he just got here, but there was no reason to rush McD into captaincy

Rush? Take a look around the NHL.

McDonagh was named Captain in his fifth year on the team.

Landeskog, Getzlaf, Crosby, Toews, Tavares all were named Captains with less tenure. Another dozen or so had five years tenure.

As for MSL, he was previously a Captain who quit on his team for personal reasons, and everybody outside of NY saw it as such.

McDonagh will be the Captain for the next 10-15 years. Better get used to him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rush? Take a look around the NHL.

McDonagh was named Captain in his fifth year on the team.

Landeskog, Getzlaf, Crosby, Toews, Tavares all were named Captains with less tenure. Another dozen or so had five years tenure.

As for MSL, he was previously a Captain who quit on his team for personal reasons, and everybody outside of NY saw it as such.

McDonagh will be the Captain for the next 10-15 years. Better get used to him.

I think people have a bit of the old school mentality where intangibles were the most important thing in the world and thus being a captain was too. Not saying it's not important, and it may well be that the C weighed on him some, but I do think it's overplayed.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
After looking pretty bad for most of his first games, McD is one pace for 33 points in 70 games and has been playing pretty solid D. I think he can still be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad