Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHB*

Making MSL C would have been really odd IMO. In that case, having no C would have been preferable.

I agree with this. Rather give McD the C now, if we're just going to stop-gap and give it to him in 2 years anyway. It makes no sense not to.

MSL is still basically a captain of this team. If anyones been in a locker room before, it's not like the C just makes someone the de facto say soer.

I think it's better McD gets it now, then waiting for the inevitable. I also agree with GWOW in regards to the trend around the NHL with top, young, heady players and the fact that MSL dropped a hammer on TBL as captain.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I looked at McD's stats and given his poor start I was shocked how good they were. 14 points in 25 games, prorated to about 46 in points in 82 games and +11. And that's after his poor start.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Since his return, 11P in 15GP and +11

We all know how elite he is two-way, especially his defense, but I believe there's even more to come offensively. He was awesome in the NYE game vs FLA, one of the best games I have seen from him

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Since his return, 11P in 15GP and +11

We all know how elite he is two-way, especially his defense, but I believe there's even more to come offensively. He was awesome in the NYE game vs FLA, one of the best games I have seen from him

I wonder if he'll always be streaky though, because he was like that last year too. I guess a D-man like McD who is more of a well rounded D-man rather than an offensive dynamo you'll see streaks like that.

JesseAtATB

Sep 4, 2014
I thought he would be doing a little better, even with the injury. Now that he's back and getting on a roll, I guess we'll see.

It could be a blessing later down the line either way, especially since that saved him a bunch of minutes.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
I don't know, but I really think he is playing hurt. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he has shoulder surgery in the offseason. He just doesn't look like the McD we know and love.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I don't know, but I really think he is playing hurt. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he has shoulder surgery in the offseason. He just doesn't look like the McD we know and love.

He did in the third period of last game. I'm hoping he's about to turn the corner - especially with the break coming up this week to give him some extra rest.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
Bumping this discussion. I'm actually getting concerned that McDonagh is nursing an injury. Actually, maybe that would be better than the possibility that he has regressed this far, or the C is weighing heavy. His play has been that of a bottom pairing D, outside of a few games.
Is it feasible that his shoulder needs surgery, but with the way we were playing for that stretch, that the collective powers that be gambled on putting that off and hoping that at <100% he would still be able to get it done?
Or, scary thought, has he been permanently damaged by the injuries to his shoulder?
I guess I could pontificate endlessly on what the problem may be, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that something is indeed amiss with the Captain.
He has no explosiveness, hasn't thrown a check all year, and has been uncharacteristically out of position and making bad decisions.
Discuss

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I've missed the last four or five games, on vacation in India. Before I left, it seemed like Mac was getting back to his old self. He had several weeks of really solid play...not quite the Mac from last year or from 2012, but getting close. I'm guessing he's struggled a lot the last five games or so?

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
guys have bad stretches, and were 16 of 19 while hes having his. He'll get it together, he always does.

I don't know man, I don't ever remember him needing to "get it together " though. He has never really had a bad stretch of games he needed to rebound from. It's not a bad stretch IMO , he doesn't look right at all. He seems very mature and focused, so I don't personally think his problem is mental.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
I've missed the last four or five games, on vacation in India. Before I left, it seemed like Mac was getting back to his old self. He had several weeks of really solid play...not quite the Mac from last year or from 2012, but getting close. I'm guessing he's struggled a lot the last five games or so?

He has been awful. Not picking up his man, not playing the body, making bad pinches and fumbling the puck. Now, by awful, I mean by his standards. Not like Hal Gill awful:sarcasm:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if right after the season he goes for surgery. Remember when he got hurt this season, we were all relieved and a little shocked he didn't need surgery? Well ...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He has been awful. Not picking up his man, not playing the body, making bad pinches and fumbling the puck. Now, by awful, I mean by his standards. Not like Hal Gill awful:sarcasm:
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if right after the season he goes for surgery. Remember when he got hurt this season, we were all relieved and a little shocked he didn't need surgery? Well ...

But his best games have come after the injury.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
Much like Nash last year with his concussion issues, McDonagh looks hesistant to consistently engage physically. Two fairly major shoulder injuries in such a short period of time can have a big mental effect on a player, a la Nash's two concussions. We may not see the real McDonagh until next season, although there's still plenty of time left this year.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Much like Nash last year with his concussion issues, McDonagh looks hesistant to consistently engage physically. Two fairly major shoulder injuries in such a short period of time can have a big mental effect on a player, a la Nash's two concussions. We may not see the real McDonagh until next season, although there's still plenty of time left this year.

Let's hope the all star break helps him out a bit.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland

Yeah, and that's very concerning. Can we win a cup with him gimping it up? Last year was the exact opposite. Nash was Trash, and McD was McGod. If this year we have killer Nash and a hurt/nervous McDonagh, I don't think we can compete for the cup. We need our best players to be our best players.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Yeah, and that's very concerning. Can we win a cup with him gimping it up? Last year was the exact opposite. Nash was Trash, and McD was McGod. If this year we have killer Nash and a hurt/nervous McDonagh, I don't think we can compete for the cup. We need our best players to be our best players.

The good thing is McD was garbage in the first 7-10 games of last year's playoffs after that shoulder injury then just turned it on...as more time goes on he'll get back to his level of play.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
On the brightside, if we're this good with McDonagh playing well below his level, imagine when he's on his game.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
This season needs more of Mcdonagh's smug goal scoring face.

McDonaghTitlePhoto.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad