Player Discussion Ryan McDonagh

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I am going with assumption Sergachev is out.

I just don't see him or Marner or Nylander being on any table. I really don't. Not today, and not in June.

With that said, my ideal package is Foote and Howden with a first. But I am not willing to walk away over Foote. I happen to really like Howden --- and the more I see of him, the more I like.
I think Id' rather have Foote ++ than Sergachev, as I'm not really sold on Serg based on a year of playing minimal minutes on the best team in the league. Though playing in the NHL at this age at all is impressive.

Howden I like but I think we're realistically looking at a middle 6 center with him. Which isn't bad, but not what I'd hope for as a centerpiece in a McDonagh trade.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Id' rather have Foote ++ than Sergachev, as I'm not really sold on Serg based on a year of playing minimal minutes on the best team in the league. Though playing in the NHL at this age at all is impressive.

Howden I like but I think we're realistically looking at a middle 6 center with him. Which isn't bad, but not what I'd hope for as a centerpiece in a McDonagh trade.

I like Sergachev a lot, I just don't think he's as far ahead of the curve as he's been made out to be. I think his potential has kind of taken on a life of its own. But then again, I thought the same thing about the guy for whom he was traded. I'm still waiting for him to resemble the player some people have sworn he was as well. Needless to say, that's why I often politely shrug when all but a handful of people come at me with their evaluations.

Personally, I'd rather have a package that includes Foote. I think we'd get more long-term value out of it. Of course, that depends on the package.

As for Howden, I would've pegged him as middle six at the time of his draft. I very much admit own that. But that kid's game has developed VERY nicely. He's a two-way threat whose entire game just keeps getting better and more refined.

On a scale of 1-10 on progress since being drafted, this kid was easily score in the 8-10 range. It's not just the scoring progress in the WHL, where he's on a 44 goal, 115 point pace over a full schedule. It's the WJCs, the tournaments, his play as a teenager in the AHL last season, his big-game performances, etc.

I think this kid is a legit top six prospect at this point. His game is very intelligent and his skill set is underrated.

I wouldn't sleep on him. I really wouldn't.

Reactions: haveandare

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
keep him till the draft. all teams will be there and thats when the deals will be best.

continue to say mcd27 is a key part of a draft day deal that brings us back a top 3 pick.

this team isgoing to make some serious noise on draft day. its time to draft a difference maker.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Great...so now we will have to go through the next 4 months talking about a McD trade on draft day :facepalm:

Team who gets him today = 2 playoff runs
Team who gets him on draft day = 1 playoff run.

Value goes down.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I don't know when McD is getting traded but he's as good as gone. Either today, the draft, or next deadline, though the latter would make things awkward as hell all next season.

acapps10

Apr 8, 2008
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Being told that <a href="New York Rangers (@NYRangers) | Twitter">@NYRangers</a> Ryan McDonagh sweepstakes is down to 4 clubs. All in the Eastern Conference. Going to come down to if Jim Dolan has laid down the law that we do it right and build from the ground up! Sense management doesn&#39;t want to move him but....</p>&mdash; Brian Lawton (@brianlawton9) <a href="">February 26, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I like Sergachev a lot, I just don't think he's as far ahead of the curve as he's been made out to be. I think his potential has kind of taken on a life of its own.

I see a ton of Malakhov in him. Insane potential but just never living up to it. Good yet not great player, always leaving people wondering "what if".

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
If McD isn’t moved it’s gonna be a long four months of speculation until the draft and listening to other teams fans lowball offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad