Confirmed with Link: Ryan McDonagh re-signed 7x6.75 Million

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Then we let him walk? We weren't entirely forced to do this. 7 years is a long commitment with any player, especially one who will be 30 by the time this kicks in. Sergachev will have had (more than likely) over 150 games played by then. Resigned cheaper and given an opportunity on the left, he could fill in. Would rather hone in on a steady right handed defenseman to pair with Hedman. Resign Swedeman and whoever comes up first on the right.

I just feel like this could have waited. Imagine him having another injury riddled year where we don't get a good look at him or he struggles. At least at that point we could have used another season to evaluate the situation. Yzerman and his NTCs are giving me palpitations.
Imagine McD having a full healthy season and playing great. I personally think that signing him makes us a better team and it helps solidify our defense. You can wonder about injuries to any player, so I don't think it helps to focus on that. If we didn't sign McD, who else would be go after and what would it take to acquire that asset?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Just curious but what's the cap situation with the Lightning next year? Who are you folks expecting as far as resigning long term or walking away?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You guys have a lot more faith in McDonagh's shelf life than me.

I wanted him for 6 not 7. I think he'll be fine till 35 so the last two we have to worry about but the deal is buyoutable. His skating was more than fine with us so as long as that stays we shouldn't be screwed. His decision making wasn't great but that may be due to his injury and him trying to mask it which led to many bad plays. With Hedman and Sergachev as the offensive guys we don't have to rely on him to give us 40 points, anything over 30 is fine. We can wear out Coburn and Girardi on the defensive side then we have Cernak and Masin coming who we can do the same with. McDonagh can just be asked to carry the 2nd pair with no PP time and 2nd PK time so we shouldn't risk over working him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
And maybe we hit gold with a future D prospect, but like you said, we are set with our top 4 d men. the bottom to can be replaced with young guys from our system or some cheap vets. I think McD does well with a full season on our team, not to mention a fully healthy McD and a new defensive coach. The only real place we need to address is maybe getting a 3rd line power forward type player with some size and grit.

We don't have a true power forward type in the system but guys like Katchouk, Volkov and Raddysh have decent size and use it to create space for themselves. They can use it to drive to the net as well. They aren't gonna be Tom Wilson though.

Reactions: Stamper

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Imagine McD having a full healthy season and playing great. I personally think that signing him makes us a better team and it helps solidify our defense. You can wonder about injuries to any player, so I don't think it helps to focus on that. If we didn't sign McD, who else would be go after and what would it take to acquire that asset?

The way I see it:

Hedman - ?
Sergachev - Stralman
Coburn - Girardi

We still plan on letting the bottom pairing walk but we would still need to replace them. In Hoses scenario or mine, we still need within 11 months, to find two defenseman to bring back or hope two rookies come up. Or FA/trade. The top 4 is the issue. Serg being younger and just as mobile cpuld take his preferred (and the organizations) side. Stralman on the right. Instead we insert McDonagh and put Serg on his off side. Not to mention, McDonagh is inserted until he's 37. Finding a legitimate top 4 RHD by moving Johnson would be ideal. This was the entire concern i had when we were rumored to be in on him. I think McDonagh is a good player, not a knock on him, but adding a left defenseman was always gonna cause this issue. Adding a RHD would have solved this. Everybody mentions Faulk. Faulk is probably one of the best fits we could obtain at the price of starting with Johnson. Sure that hurts but it fills a gap. Faulk probably won't be getting more than this McD contract either so you'd have around a 7x7, RHD with Serg playing top 4 on the left. 3 years younger than McD and has hit 15, 16 and 17 goal seasons. Put that on a PP unit and next to Hedman and it would probably be amazing.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The way I see it:

Hedman - ?
Sergachev - Stralman
Coburn - Girardi

We still plan on letting the bottom pairing walk but we would still need to replace them. In Hoses scenario or mine, we still need within 11 months, to find two defenseman to bring back or hope two rookies come up. Or FA/trade. The top 4 is the issue. Serg being younger and just as mobile cpuld take his preferred (and the organizations) side. Stralman on the right. Instead we insert McDonagh and put Serg on his off side. Not to mention, McDonagh is inserted until he's 37. Finding a legitimate top 4 RHD by moving Johnson would be ideal. This was the entire concern i had when we were rumored to be in on him. I think McDonagh is a good player, not a knock on him, but adding a left defenseman was always gonna cause this issue. Adding a RHD would have solved this. Everybody mentions Faulk. Faulk is probably one of the best fits we could obtain at the price of starting with Johnson. Sure that hurts but it fills a gap. Faulk probably won't be getting more than this McD contract either so you'd have around a 7x7, RHD with Serg playing top 4 on the left. 3 years younger than McD and has hit 15, 16 and 17 goal seasons. Put that on a PP unit and next to Hedman and it would probably be amazing.
I see where your coming from but I'm still glad we did the deal. The thing that worries me is if we let McD go and ended up trading Johnson in a package for someone like Tanev, sure he fits the need but man oh man is he an injury risk.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I wanted him for 6 not 7. I think he'll be fine till 35 so the last two we have to worry about but the deal is buyoutable. His skating was more than fine with us so as long as that stays we shouldn't be screwed. His decision making wasn't great but that may be due to his injury and him trying to mask it which led to many bad plays. With Hedman and Sergachev as the offensive guys we don't have to rely on him to give us 40 points, anything over 30 is fine. We can wear out Coburn and Girardi on the defensive side then we have Cernak and Masin coming who we can do the same with. McDonagh can just be asked to carry the 2nd pair with no PP time and 2nd PK time so we shouldn't risk over working him.

We have one season until we need to bring up two guys or fill two spots (if we bring Stralman back), and if not, three spots to fill. You think 2 of Cernak, Masin and Foote are ready by next summer?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
We don't have a true power forward type in the system but guys like Katchouk, Volkov and Raddysh have decent size and use it to create space for themselves. They can use it to drive to the net as well. They aren't gonna be Tom Wilson though.
Thats my thinking as well, and i'm not saying we need a guy like Wilson, but its just that we need bigger forwards simple as that. They don't even really need to be super gritty, they just need to be able to not be knocked off the puck. Thats the only real issue this team has imo.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I'm with you there. Tanev is good but I don't want him here.
I understand where you're coming from with your concerns about McD, its just that I don't know who is out there that would fit that spot as well as McD can, not to mention what it would cost just to get him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We have one season until we need to bring up two guys or fill two spots (if we bring Stralman back), and if not, three spots to fill. You think 2 of Cernak, Masin and Foote are ready by next summer?

I think all 3 could play this year. Just depends on what you expect from them. If we bring them along like Sergachev with favorable matchups, zone starts and extremely sheltered they'd hold their own on the bottom pair. If you expect them to come in and have a McAvoy type impact then you'll be disappointed. I really hope we can get them a few games next year to get their feet wet but with Koekkoek and Dotchin still around will need a disaster of injuries for that.

Reactions: Master P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think we'll see a bit of Cernak and/or Masin this year. Cernak seems to impress at every viewing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not going to pretend I love the deal. 8 years of a guy who has a lot of miles on him isn't ideal IMO. Still, AAV is low and shouldn't be too crippling in the latter half of the contract.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I understand where you're coming from with your concerns about McD, its just that I don't know who is out there that would fit that spot as well as McD can, not to mention what it would cost just to get him.
Faulk is ideal though after moving Hanifin and adding Hamilton I don't know what they wanna do.
I think all 3 could play this year. Just depends on what you expect from them. If we bring them along like Sergachev with favorable matchups, zone starts and extremely sheltered they'd hold their own on the bottom pair. If you expect them to come in and have a McAvoy type impact then you'll be disappointed. I really hope we can get them a few games next year to get their feet wet but with Koekkoek and Dotchin still around will need a disaster of injuries for that.
Doesn't seem like they even know what to do with Dotchin and KK. Why they're still here is beyond me. We probably could've gotten a 2nd at one point for Dotchin and Slaters time her has been a waste for him.
I think we'll see a bit of Cernak and/or Masin this year. Cernak seems to impress at every viewing.

Gonna need a to move one of Dotchin or KK soon then.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Faulk is ideal though after moving Hanifin and adding Hamilton I don't know what they wanna do.

Doesn't seem like they even know what to do with Dotchin and KK. Why they're still here is beyond me. We probably could've gotten a 2nd at one point for Dotchin and Slaters time her has been a waste for him.

I don't think either of them have much value. Wouldn't be out of character for Yzerman to let everybody fight it out in September and let the chips fall where they may.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I don't think either of them have much value. Wouldn't be out of character for Yzerman to let everybody fight it out in September and let the chips fall where they may.

It's still a logjam though. If just one comes up we will have 9 NHL defenseman. One ready is fine, adding an extra for depth to have 8 is perfect. One has to get the boot. No need in keeping one here for the sake of it.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Dotchin and Koekkoek are cheap depth that on occasion can look pretty good. Getting a 2nd is nice but then we probably bring in a higher paid vet just to sit in the box and the 2nd may never become anything. It also allows the Cruch defenders to stay down all year and can focus on that. As first and second year rookies it's better they stay down all year instead of yo yoing all year. In year 3 they can as we need to see what we got in them. I think that philosophy is what was good for Dotchins development as he didn't come up till late year 3.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I’m hoping the Lightning deal Coburn. I wouldn’t expect a huge return, just more of a salary dump so KK can play on the third pairing. Girardi would pair well with him. I don’t like the idea of Coburn-Girardi on the third pairing together. Both solid guys that can’t skate. One of them is fine, not both.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Dotchin and Koekkoek are cheap depth that on occasion can look pretty good. Getting a 2nd is nice but then we probably bring in a higher paid vet just to sit in the box and the 2nd may never become anything. It also allows the Cruch defenders to stay down all year and can focus on that. As first and second year rookies it's better they stay down all year instead of yo yoing all year. In year 3 they can as we need to see what we got in them. I think that philosophy is what was good for Dotchins development as he didn't come up till late year 3.

But at what point do you draw a line? If any of the three make it or get an appearance, jumping over Dotchin and Koekkoek who are probably not gonna see much action just seems redundant. If we moved one of them, and in your opinion, any of the 3 could step in and play sheltered minutes. Having Dotchin and KK as healthy scratches for the majority of the season and potentially 9 (If one is promoted) is excessive. Would rather move Dotchin and keep Koekkoek as he's the better skater.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But at what point do you draw a line? If any of the three make it or get an appearance, jumping over Dotchin and Koekkoek who are probably not gonna see much action just seems redundant. If we moved one of them, and in your opinion, any of the 3 could step in and play sheltered minutes. Having Dotchin and KK as healthy scratches for the majority of the season and potentially 9 (If one is promoted) is excessive. Would rather move Dotchin and keep Koekkoek as he's the better skater.

Yes I think all 3 could play for us this year, doesn't mean I want all 3 to play for us all year. Foote needs big minutes and he'll get that in Syracuse. Masin and Cernak could use the minutes as well as working on other aspects of their game so they're more well rounded. They won't be getting that up here. Koekkoek and Dotchin are pretty tapped of potentially so doesn't hurt to keep them for depth. And like I said on occasion can show something so not worth giving away. Last year we scratched Coburn a game or two, I fully expect us to rest him and Girardi more this year and plug in Koekkoek and Dotchin to the lineup. I also think we might go 7D if Erne can't establish himself. I would move one of Dotchin or Koekkoek if the deal is right but I can't see them getting a 2nd anymore and a mid pick does nothing right now. If we could get a younger waiver exempt LD to play in Syracuse I'd be all for it.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yes I think all 3 could play for us this year, doesn't mean I want all 3 to play for us all year. Foote needs big minutes and he'll get that in Syracuse. Masin and Cernak could use the minutes as well as working on other aspects of their game so they're more well rounded. They won't be getting that up here. Koekkoek and Dotchin are pretty tapped of potentially so doesn't hurt to keep them for depth. And like I said on occasion can show something so not worth giving away. Last year we scratched Coburn a game or two, I fully expect us to rest him and Girardi more this year and plug in Koekkoek and Dotchin to the lineup. I also think we might go 7D if Erne can't establish himself. I would move one of Dotchin or Koekkoek if the deal is right but I can't see them getting a 2nd anymore and a mid pick does nothing right now. If we could get a younger waiver exempt LD to play in Syracuse I'd be all for it.

Yeah I think the ship sailed on Dotchin for a 2nd if that was even possible last summer. We could have duped anybody if we actually got that. If we went 7D, which is possible, we would have one in case of injuries. Guess it depends on what happens with KK, whether he is moved or resigned (and for how long).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad