Confirmed with Link: Ryan McDonagh re-signed 7x6.75 Million

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This one has the possibility to come back to bite us in the ass even quicker than we fear. Don't like it one bit but we're clearly in full win-now mode, maybe Vinik is getting impatient and starts to pull the strings behind the scene.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Just like all of you, Im not keen on the terms, 7 years is a long time and we might regret this in a few years already, hope I'm wrong though!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This one has the possibility to come back to bite us in the ass even quicker than we fear. Don't like it one bit but we're clearly in full win-now mode, maybe Vinik is getting impatient and starts to pull the strings behind the scene.
Na yzerman is getting impatient and I don’t blame him my patience has run out since 2015 with this team

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Really excited to see how our defense plays with a new structure. I think we're gonna see a huge improvement. I'm a fan of the deal.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Something that helps calm me down is knowing the Caps won it all this year without an exactly star studded line up. Don’t get me wrong they had stars but nothing crazy. I’d just like to see us add a few gritty pieces.

Reactions: Master P

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Something that helps calm me down is knowing the Caps won it all this year without an exactly star studded line up. Don’t get me wrong they had stars but nothing crazy. I’d just like to see us add a few gritty pieces.
Thats what i'm saying. All we really need is a tough 3rd liner who gives us some grit and is hard to play against. What really did us in was our size at forward. The effort was their but our small guys just got out muscled against the big players the caps had.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I need to read Hose's reaction to this

Not a huge fan of the 7th year or the NTC all the way through. The AAV isn't too far off of what I had so can live with that. The contract isn't buyout proof either, we can buy out those last two years no problem. We would just have one year with a crappy dead penalty and it wouldn't even be that bad as we'd still save over 3mil.

I would assume this deal means Sergachev is on the right side going forward. Don't want McDonagh making that on the 3rd pair, so Sergachev in the top 4 we'd just need Foote to fill that last spot and we are set for years. We really only have Masin as a legit NHL prospect on the left and he's fine as a 3rd pair guy so we aren't in any rush to find a future top 4 one anytime soon. McDonagh skating is still really good so he should be at least viable till he's 35.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Thats what i'm saying. All we really need is a tough 3rd liner who gives us some grit and is hard to play against. What really did us in was our size at forward. The effort was their but our small guys just got out muscled against the big players the caps had.

That's the biggest hole on the team. 3rd liner capable of playing through a series like we played against the caps. Options are running thin as of right now.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Not a huge fan of the 7th year or the NTC all the way through. The AAV isn't too far off of what I had so can live with that. The contract isn't buyout proof either, we can buy out those last two years no problem. We would just have one year with a crappy dead penalty and it wouldn't even be that bad as we'd still save over 3mil.

I would assume this deal means Sergachev is on the right side going forward. Don't want McDonagh making that on the 3rd pair, so Sergachev in the top 4 we'd just need Foote to fill that last spot and we are set for years. We really only have Masin as a legit NHL prospect on the left and he's fine as a 3rd pair guy so we aren't in any rush to find a future top 4 one anytime soon. McDonagh skating is still really good so he should be at least viable till he's 35.
Yeah, not sure why some people are freaking out over this. Plus the salary cap will most likely increase again which makes this deal even less of an issue. I'm completely fine with it.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
That's the biggest hole on the team. 3rd liner capable of playing through a series like we played against the caps. Options are running thin as of right now.

If we can't fill that hole now then I think we grab someone at the trade deadline. If the price was right i'd love to have someone like wayne simmonds.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I wonder if Volkov has a shot at making the team this year. He would be nice to have on our 3rd line and would give us some size that we need plus some offensive potential. Not to mention he would be cheap.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Most people on our boards are fine with the money.

The term is the problem. That's concerning.
You're not getting that AVV without that term, i'm ok with one or two years with an old McD if it gives us a great chance to win a cup(s) in the next 5 years.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I like TJ and hope he proves me wrong, but really wanted him moved to shed salary for some young grit.

Unless the cap increases significantly, how will SY pay Kuch? I guess Miller can go, Everyone else has a NTC I believe.

As many have suggested, I guess this means Serge is a long term RHD now. Against the organization philosophy, but maybe he’s just an exception to the rule. He looked fantastic on the right side in the playoffs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, not sure why some people are freaking out over this. Plus the salary cap will most likely increase again which makes this deal even less of an issue. I'm completely fine with it.

I'm looking into the future with our roster and prospects and 7 years isn't too bad. Like I said before we just have Masin currently as NHL quality prospect. Sosunov is 20 and still a ways out to knowing what he might be. Say he spends the next 3 years of his ELC in Syracuse when he's ready to come up McDonagh has 5 years left. Sosunov needs a couple to adjust and make a case for top 4. So if he does than McDonagh has only 3 years left and could be dropped to the 3rd pair and like I already said the buyout last two years isn't bad. That's hypothetical if Sosunov is that guy. More likely we draft a kid the next couple of years, 2 years in the CHL, 3 in the AHL by the time he comes up McDonagh deal is up or even the Hedman one.

With our top 4 going forward looking set with Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev and Foote we won't be needing to make anymore desperate moves to find a top 4 guy. We can continue to stockpile prospects and with our glut of wing prospects we could use those to upgrade the forwards if needed which are cheaper and easier to acquire than a top 4 D.

Reactions: Master P

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
You're not getting that AVV without that term, i'm ok with one or two years with an old McD if it gives us a great chance to win a cup(s) in the next 5 years.

Then we let him walk? We weren't entirely forced to do this. 7 years is a long commitment with any player, especially one who will be 30 by the time this kicks in. Sergachev will have had (more than likely) over 150 games played by then. Resigned cheaper and given an opportunity on the left, he could fill in. Would rather hone in on a steady right handed defenseman to pair with Hedman. Resign Swedeman and whoever comes up first on the right.

I just feel like this could have waited. Imagine him having another injury riddled year where we don't get a good look at him or he struggles. At least at that point we could have used another season to evaluate the situation. Yzerman and his NTCs are giving me palpitations.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I'm looking into the future with our roster and prospects and 7 years isn't too bad. Like I said before we just have Masin currently as NHL quality prospect. Sosunov is 20 and still a ways out to knowing what he might be. Say he spends the next 3 years of his ELC in Syracuse when he's ready to come up McDonagh has 5 years left. Sosunov needs a couple to adjust and make a case for top 4. So if he does than McDonagh has only 3 years left and could be dropped to the 3rd pair and like I already said the buyout last two years isn't bad. That's hypothetical if Sosunov is that guy. More likely we draft a kid the next couple of years, 2 years in the CHL, 3 in the AHL by the time he comes up McDonagh deal is up or even the Hedman one.

With our top 4 going forward looking set with Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev and Foote we won't be needing to make anymore desperate moves to find a top 4 guy. We can continue to stockpile prospects and with our glut of wing prospects we could use those to upgrade the forwards if needed which are cheaper and easier to acquire than a top 4 D.

You guys have a lot more faith in McDonagh's shelf life than me.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

And maybe we hit gold with a future D prospect, but like you said, we are set with our top 4 d men. the bottom to can be replaced with young guys from our system or some cheap vets. I think McD does well with a full season on our team, not to mention a fully healthy McD and a new defensive coach. The only real place we need to address is maybe getting a 3rd line power forward type player with some size and grit.

Reactions: Stammertime91

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I like TJ and hope he proves me wrong, but really wanted him moved to shed salary for some young grit.

Unless the cap increases significantly, how will SY pay Kuch? I guess Miller can go, Everyone else has a NTC I believe.

As many have suggested, I guess this means Serge is a long term RHD now. Against the organization philosophy, but maybe he’s just an exception to the rule. He looked fantastic on the right side in the playoffs.

We have 5.3 in cap space right now with only Erne. Paquette and Koekkoek to sign. We could take that 5.3 and add it to Kucherov 4.7 and give him 10 next year to make him happy. Let Girardi at 3 and Coburn at 3.7 walk. Take 4.7 give it to Point on a 2 year bridge, the other 2 covers Foote and Cernak. We have no cap issues right now and with Callahan coming off the next year that helps pay Vasilevskiy and Sergachev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad