Confirmed with Link: Ryan McDonagh re-signed 7x6.75 Million

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
5.5 for Stralman is a bit much.
It's a new cap and he's gonna want what might be his last contract. I think it's wishful thinking that sergachev will be ready for a top pairing role by then. So if we lose stralman, we're taking a step back. 5.5 isn't what it used to be. It's basically JT Miller money now, and only 1.8 more than we gave Coburn BEFORE the cap went up.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's a new cap and he's gonna want what might be his last contract. I think it's wishful thinking that sergachev will be ready for a top pairing role by then. So if we lose stralman, we're taking a step back. 5.5 isn't what it used to be. It's basically JT Miller money now, and only 1.8 more than we gave Coburn BEFORE the cap went up.

Of all of the decisions Yzerman will have to make, this one will be the toughest. Having a top 2 RHD at 4.5M has been a boon. Yzerman will have to sell him hard on being a sort of yeoman for our young defenders as he progresses in age along with a lower cap hit for it to work with our cap and organizational plans, or I'm afraid he's going elsewhere. I'm already having trouble finding where he fits in two years with the progression of Foote and Cernak and that is if this Karlsson thing just blows over. With all of that being said, Stralmans the type of player who's going be serviceable well into his career. Difficult decision

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Of all of the decisions Yzerman will have to make, this one will be the toughest. Having a top 2 RHD at 4.5M has been a boon. Yzerman will have to sell him hard on being a sort of yeoman for our young defenders as he progresses in age along with a lower cap hit for it to work with our cap and organizational plans, or I'm afraid he's going elsewhere. I'm already having trouble finding where he fits in two years with the progression of Foote and Cernak and that is if this Karlsson thing just blows over. With all of that being said, Stralmans the type of player who's going be serviceable well into his career. Difficult decision

This is a guy who I think retires a Bolt. Not sure why, but I just can't picture him playing elsewhere again.

That obviously can change, and probably will change, if we acquire Karlsson. But that still feels like a longshot to me.

I think Stralman gets a raise simply because it's a whole different cap now than when he signed. And I agree that he's going to be a decent defenseman for a while yet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is a guy who I think retires a Bolt. Not sure why, but I just can't picture him playing elsewhere again.

That obviously can change, and probably will change, if we acquire Karlsson. But that still feels like a longshot to me.

I think Stralman gets a raise simply because it's a whole different cap now than when he signed. And I agree that he's going to be a decent defenseman for a while yet.

If he wants to retire a bolt he isn't getting 5.5, that isn't a retirement deal. He'll sign for what Coburn did if he wants to stay here, which is a pay cut of 800k. His play the last year and a half is worrisome and he ain't getting any younger. I don't consider him a #2 anymore, he's a #3 heading towards a #4 real quick. His offense hasn't been there lately either so we can get the same defensive play from an ELC Cernak.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he wants to retire a bolt he isn't getting 5.5, that isn't a retirement deal. He'll sign for what Coburn did if he wants to stay here, which is a pay cut of 800k. His play the last year and a half is worrisome and he ain't getting any younger. I don't consider him a #2 anymore, he's a #3 heading towards a #4 real quick. His offense hasn't been there lately either so we can get the same defensive play from an ELC Cernak.

5.5 isn't #2 money anymore. It's less than Mike Green.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden

I really do hope he retires a Bolt.

If I remember correctly, stability for the family was a big reason for them chosing Tampa in the first place (NTC). Moving a big family (3,4 kids?) around is tough. Maybe he'll settle for less money if that stability is granted. 4x4 with NTC or something like that.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

I really do hope he retires a Bolt.

If I remember correctly, stability for the family was a big reason for them chosing Tampa in the first place (NTC). Moving a big family (3,4 kids?) around is tough. Maybe he'll settle for less money if that stability is granted. 4x4 with NTC or something like that.

You're remembering correctly. Strålman has four kids and wanted stability. Yzerman offered better term than the Rangers were willing to offer. Has been a very good deal for what we've gotten from him. His first two seasons with us were career years until he broke his leg. Next season was not very good in comparison but he was recovering from a leg injury and that can take a while. By the end of the season during the hellaciously good run, he was back in form. Played on the top pair for Team Sweden with Hedman at the IIHF World Championships logging between 23 and 25 minutes and tied Hedman for 4 pts and +8 in 10GP as they won Gold. Was fine this season defensively but I agree that his offensive production suffered. However, I think it's more due to deployment. Sergachev took the PP2 spot and about 1/3 of Strålman's points were PPP in his two good years. His ES points were just a little off his norm possibly because he had to play a very defensive game to help Sergy transition into the NHL. The times he was paired with Hedman they had the best defensive stats and his +29 this season was a career high (yes, I know it's a flawed stat, but in comparison to the rest of the team, that was second best for dmen behind Hedman at +32). McD and Stråls made a very good shutdown pair together (until the Washington series) and their TOI was only different by a second or two. His defensive play is the kind that should age well. Think he's worth extending at the same 4.5 for a couple more years. By today's prices for RHD, that's still cheap.

McDonagh might be worth every penny of his new contract (though I think the term is waaay too long), but his offensive production may drop quite a bit this upcoming season too as it's doubtful that he'll get PP time over Sergachev.

It will be very interesting to see how Richards handles the D in training camp, let alone the regular season. Here's hoping it all works out! :crossfing

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
This could turn into an arms race between us and the atlantic. We have the best roster on paper in the Atlantic with Toronto and Boston nipping at our heels.

If we are looking at Karlsson seriously, another thing to consider is, do you lose the assets and hope you can pry a 5x5 away from the team by waiving a NTC and acquire him via trade of wait a year? I think most of us would rather not lose assets and try FA but I doubt he's there in October. I feel like he's done playing for the Sens. The point I'd like to bring up is, new coaching change could start with a full year of McD and Karlsson rather than a full year of McD and then slotting Karlsson in the following year.

I feel like Yzerman's biggest decisions behind closed doors where he knows a lot more of what Karlsson wants, the situation and who is talking/making moves is;

1. Value of our defense with Sergachev vs Foote vs losing assets for EK

2. FA vs trade, willing to wait or insert him this summer?

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Really ashamed OTT couldn’t accept reality last year at the TDL. I don’t see how to pay McDonough and EK.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I like TJ and hope he proves me wrong, but really wanted him moved to shed salary for some young grit.

Unless the cap increases significantly, how will SY pay Kuch? I guess Miller can go, Everyone else has a NTC I believe.

As many have suggested, I guess this means Serge is a long term RHD now. Against the organization philosophy, but maybe he’s just an exception to the rule. He looked fantastic on the right side in the playoffs.
Stralman, Coburn, and Girardi are UFAs next year and their combined $11.2 M come off the books. We will lose a little of this to their replacements (Not taking Karlsson into account here if that happens). But I know Stevie Y has a plan and I trust him. He's earned that from me I think.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You always think could have Tampa found a better way to spend 6.75m? I think so, but obviously Steve Y doesn't.
Who were they competing against? Next summer would any other team offered the same deal.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Hedman - Foote
McDonagh - Cernak (Karlsson)
Sergachev - Stralman

That's pretty insane going into the future.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Stralman has a young family he may just want the stability of staying in Tampa

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Good contract I guess, but next offseason there's so many UFA and RFAs with 13m next season, it's going to be interesting what Yzerman going to do next season, he manages to pull things off

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"
Ryan McDonagh’s contract introduces a new risk to the Lightning’s cap sheet"

"The best way to try to identify a player’s market value is to use Matt Cane’s free agent contract projections. McDonagh was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Cane hadn’t released his projections for next summer yet before McDonagh signed on July 1st but he was kind enough to share them for this article. He had McDonagh projected at five years and $6.3 million. Those numbers are two years less and 450k per year less than the contract McDonagh received.
This is where the decision making gets dicey for me. The stats don’t tell me a clean story. It appears that McDonagh’s numbers have started to decline at age 28 but I’m unclear as to what degree. Cane’s model says that the player’s value will be somewhere in the 6 to 6.5 million range over 5 to 6 years if he becomes a free agent.
In this situation, what would help most to guide the decision is more information. If McDonagh was a free agent this summer, the Lightning would have had no choice but to do the best with the info that they had. But that wasn’t the case. They could have taken another year to be sure about how McDonagh is trending..................
And not only did they re-sign him, but they re-signed him to an over-market-value contract. They gave over-market term, over-market money, and a full no-trade clause until the final season of the deal."

Ryan McDonagh’s contract introduces a new risk to the Lightning’s cap sheet

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad