Confirmed with Link: Ryan McDonagh re-signed 7x6.75 Million

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Little long but i'm fine with the deal. He needs to spend this offseason getting healthy as he has been a bit more beat up over the last three seasons than has been shared publicly. Having Hedman carry the big minutes for him allows him to settle in to a slightly secondary role and work on fitting into a new team and system. I'm going to guess the contract is structured with high bonus money but lower AAV.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
McD AINEC. Once Shattenkirk, who is also 29, dries up offensively or isn't executing at a premium for an offensive defenseman, his defense is nothing to ride home about. We can lose 10 points from McD and still be left with great defensive play.

Reactions: Hit The Lights

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
McD AINEC. Once Shattenkirk, who is also 29, dries up offensively or isn't executing at a premium for an offensive defenseman, his defense is nothing to ride home about. We can lose 10 points from McD and still be left with great defensive play.
Shattys skaing is absolute shit, too. Call me biased against him and you may be right, but the guy looks like hes stuck skating in mud his entire career.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Shattys skaing is absolute ****, too. Call me biased against him and you may be right, but the guy looks like hes stuck skating in mud his entire career.

Yeah I think he's a bit overrated as well. He was seen as a hot commodity a year ago and im glad it didn't work out for him to end up here. Let the Rangers enjoy that contract. I thought he would have been alright next to Hedman but he's not next to Hedman or a Hedman there in New York to cover for him. McD is much better.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
If Serge is playing the right side going forward, which clearly appears to be the case given this extension, I truly believe McDonough is the perfect partner for Serge. I just hope Stralman is still the perfect fit with Heddy.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I'm going to disagree. Serg can play RHD. I look for Serg to take the transition contract and cash it in because the new labor agreement HAS to inflate the salary cap. Stevie Y is Yoda. You are all fools to question him.:naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Like the $6.7M AAV, hate the length of the deal. As good as you could hope for out of a second pairing d-man, being that's what he'll be going forward. Hopefully with him having training camp in Tampa he'll be more in sync with the team.

If Serge is playing the right side going forward, which clearly appears to be the case given this extension, I truly believe McDonough is the perfect partner for Serge. I just hope Stralman is still the perfect fit with Heddy.
Yeah I also wanna see him paired with Sergachev. I think Serge is ready for the 2nd pair, and him and Mac's games compliment each other well. I also think Hedman and Stralman still can be a good pair together. If paired like this our top 4 would have a good puck handling d-man on each pair.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's also important to remember McDonagh will have a full camp to get used to things, rather than tossed into heavy minutes in a new system, while not entirely healthy. Pretty much the entire league considered the guy a legit #1, so let's give him a minute to settle in.

Also: Richards is taking over the defense. We don't even know what that'll look like, but, with a little luck, our defense, which has been great "on paper" for a while, will finally start to look like that on the ice.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'm elated to have him. I remember when we tried to pass off Matt Gilroy as a top 4 defenseman. Hell, I remember us trying to pass Stan Neckar and Sergei Gusev off as top 4 guys. We have a guy who's received Norris votes almost every year since he's been in the league as our #3. Umm, hell yeah!

Me thinks most are just upset that this might dim our prospects of signing Karlsson and not at actually signing McD. I understand the sentiment, but now we have two Norris trophy candidates to usher in Sergachev and Foote, it's really a dream scenario that actually works out for cap purposes.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I'm elated to have him. I remember when we tried to pass off Matt Gilroy as a top 4 defenseman. Hell, I remember us trying to pass Stan Neckar and Sergei Gusev off as top 4 guys. We have a guy who's received Norris votes almost every year since he's been in the league as our #3. Umm, hell yeah!

Me thinks most are just upset that this might dim our prospects of signing Karlsson and not at actually signing McD. I understand the sentiment, but now we have two Norris trophy candidates to usher in Sergachev and Foote, it's really a dream scenario that actually works out for cap purposes.

Watch your friggin mouth. That man is an American Olympian. Show that man some respeck.

Reactions: Rschmitz

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

Like the $6.7M AAV, hate the length of the deal. As good as you could hope for out of a second pairing d-man, being that's what he'll be going forward. Hopefully with him having training camp in Tampa he'll be more in sync with the team.

Yeah I also wanna see him paired with Sergachev. I think Serge is ready for the 2nd pair, and him and Mac's games compliment each other well. I also think Hedman and Stralman still can be a good pair together. If paired like this our top 4 would have a good puck handling d-man on each pair.

Yeah, McD should be much better after healthy summer & training camp with the team. I also agree that Sergachev is probably ready for the 2nd pair. He showed excellent progress his rookie season, especially considering his age!! He also looked even more comfortable playing RD so slotting in beside Mack could work well. I did worry a bit about McD's defensive side, but he didn't have that long with us, AV runs a system that is questionable and Bowness' system didn't work that great either. So after a nice killer training camp with a new defensive system, the whole defense should be much more in sync.

Don't worry about Strålman pairing back with Hedman. As I said earlier, even in the limited time they were paired this season (and it was more than people realize since Girardi and Sergy's TOI was limited) they still had some of the best defensive numbers together. Stråls is the kind of thinking man's defenseman with good skating skills and great positioning whose game will age a lot more gracefully than most bruiser types.

Let Girardi be a mentor for the upcoming LD this next season, then get an LD vet (or keep Coburn??) to help transition our upcoming RD. Mentoring is important to get our young d-men up to speed as quickly as is developmentally wise. Part of the reason Sergachev did so well his rookie season at the tender age of 19 is that he was paired for most of the season with a calm, competent, dependable mentor who could also cover a good number of his rookie mistakes. Foote may be the most awesome RD prospect ever, but we don't want to ruin him by throwing him in the deep end too quickly. I am also interested in seeing what Cernak can do.

Last edited:

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden
Yeah, McD should be much better after healthy summer & training camp with the team. I also agree that Sergachev is probably ready for the 2nd pair. He showed excellent progress his rookie season, especially considering his age!! He also looked even more comfortable playing RD so slotting in beside Mack could work well. I did worry a bit about McD's defensive side, but he didn't have that long with us, AV runs a system that is questionable and Bowness' system didn't work that great either. So after a nice killer training camp with a new defensive system, the whole defense should be much more in sync.

Don't worry about Strålman pairing back with Hedman. As I said earlier, even in the limited time they were paired this season (and it was more than people realize since Girardi and Sergy's TOI was limited) they still had some of the best defensive numbers together. Stråls is the kind of thinking man's defenseman with good skating skills and great positioning who's game will age a lot more gracefully than most bruiser types.

Let Girardi be a mentor for the upcoming LD this next season, then get an LD vet (or keep Coburn??) to help transition our upcoming RD. Mentoring is important to get our young d-men up to speed as quickly as is developmentally wise. Part of the reason Sergachev did so well his rookie season at the tender age of 19 is that he was paired for most of the season with a calm, competent, dependable mentor who could also cover a good number of his rookie mistakes. Foote may be the most awesome RD prospect ever, but we don't want to ruin him by throwing him in the deep end too quickly. I am also interested in seeing what Cernak can do.

Great post, I especially agree with the bolded. I'm not the slightest worried about Strålman declining, as you said: his game will age gracefully. The only thing I worry about is whether or not SY will be able to fit him under the cap. Sure SY plans to keep him, right?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Great post, I especially agree with the bolded. I'm not the slightest worried about Strålman declining, as you said: his game will age gracefully. The only thing I worry about is whether or not SY will be able to fit him under the cap. Sure SY plans to keep him, right?
My gut feeling is Stralman won't require a big raise. Maybe 5.5 for 3 or 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->