Injury Report: Ryan Lindgren

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
What is preventing us from putting him on LTIR at this point? Can't we do it retroactively and let him heal/call up some reinforcements that we desperately need?
Pride. I feel like NYR always want to stay classy, off the ice and on. We never clutch and grab like the other teams and we never LTIR someone to skirt the law.
Integrity to a fault.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Pride. I feel like NYR always want to stay classy, off the ice and on. We never clutch and grab like the other teams and we never LTIR someone to skirt the law.
Integrity to a fault.
Maybe there's a minimum of games a player put on the LTIR has to miss or something? I have no idea if that's a thing, but maybe that's why they didn't want to do that.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe there's a minimum of games a player put on the LTIR has to miss or something? I have no idea if that's a thing, but maybe that's why they didn't want to do that.
You know, BriseBois didn't know either when he LTIRed Kucherov. So the league suggested "entire regular season" just to be on the safe side with his application.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Minimum 10 games and 24 days.
He had better be back in that window, otherwise it’s negligent not using that avenue to fill out the roster. They could have acquired a pretty good player with that cap space.

I do appreciate that it’s kind of a slippery slope for a front office, a team can back itself into a corner with LTIR maneuverin if they’re not sure how much time the injured player needs.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Couldn’t they not ltir him because we technically needed the space before kane and call ups ?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He had better be back in that window, otherwise it’s negligent not using that avenue to fill out the roster. They could have acquired a pretty good player with that cap space.

I do appreciate that it’s kind of a slippery slope for a front office, a team can back itself into a corner with LTIR maneuverin if they’re not sure how much time the injured player needs.

Lindgren would have had to be out for the rest of the regular season, not just the statutory 10 games and 24 days. Otherwise you can't spend that LTIR relief at the deadline--have to leave cap space available to activate Lindgren later.

To be out the rest of the regular season would be 23 games and 46 days missed.

If Lindgren is out for 10/24 but not 23/46 then they can short term LTIR him to call up some AHL players, returning those players back to the AHL when he's healthy.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I wonder if the Rangers tried to LTIR Lindgren after they acquired Kane, and the league said no, for the same reason they said no to an emergency recall.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
id guess hes at least 10 days away. hed be back if it was a dislocated shoulder. probably separated it which im surprised didnt land him on ltir but recovery time has a wide range depending on how bad, guessing we think he can beat the 10 game/24 day timeline and we need him back in the lineup the second hes ready. if its a broken collarbone have to imagine he would be on ltir. think those are pretty much the only possibilities based on the way he went into the boards and went off the ice. im thinking 3/16 against pitt as a possible return. anything before that i'll be pleasntly shocked. if its another week+ after it wouldnt shock me. just lock up a playoff spot and have him fully healthy game 1....dont have a replay of the ankle thing last year going in and out or lose him long term by game 2.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I wonder if the Rangers tried to LTIR Lindgren after they acquired Kane, and the league said no, for the same reason they said no to an emergency recall.

Can't imagine why the league would. Teams regularly manipulate their rosters and cap usage immediately prior to using LTIR.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We all know the reason for this. If it were any other team...
This type of foolish talk is too prevalent in society. The league doesn't have it out for the most valuable team in the league, we created an emergency, the league said this was your own doing so we aren't bailing you out...its pretty simple, tired of this conspiracy crap.

Reactions: shackleton

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Teams regularly use the emergency call up when they have no cap space too.

League didn't let us.

Emergency Recall uses up cap space, you’re referring to a Roster Emergency Exception.

The reason why the NHL denied a REE is logically consistent. Do you have any examples of teams in similar circumstances as the Rangers who were granted REEs?

The key criteria being
a) Team knew before the game they would be shorthanded.
b) Team had sufficient cap space to recall players to not play shorthanded.
c) Team did not use the cap space to recall players for a full roster and instead made roster moves causing the team to no longer be able to recall players to field a full roster.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
This type of foolish talk is too prevalent in society. The league doesn't have it out for the most valuable team in the league, we created an emergency, the league said this was your own doing so we aren't bailing you out...its pretty simple, tired of this conspiracy crap.
It's not a conspiracy but the NHL is a poorly run league. The hard cap is a joke and the flat hard cap is even more so. All the other major sports have nothing of the sort and plenty of flexibility for teams to maneuver. The NHL is still struggling with covid issues and escrow payments when every other league has put that way behind them. The DOPS, officiating, and scheduling are an embarrassment. It's a league run and owned by knuckle draggers who need to be introduced to the 21st century.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
on or off LTIR, he should be shut down balance of season so he is max healed for POs
Yeah he should have been LTIR'ed after they got Kane and then they would have been able to bring up replacements.

I'm sure Lindy is always injured enough that any 3rd party assessment of him would say he is warranted on being LTIR anyway.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah he should have been LTIR'ed after they got Kane and then they would have been able to bring up replacements.

I'm sure Lindy is always injured enough that any 3rd party assessment of him would say he is warranted on being LTIR anyway.
Yeah, probably true. Knowing Lindy, he probably was already beat up and nursing other things ailing him. My hopes aside from this major injury is that all the other bumps, bruises, nicks, cuts a overall pain is subsiding and making him 100% healthy for the PO's. If anyone hasn't noticed, he is an integral part of this defense.

Trouba has the C, the big name and all his crunching hits.
Foxy has the entire NHL deked, and they know what he is all about. All-Star
KAM has all the glitter of a young, huge body and wing span, future star look out.
That leaves Lindy doing all the physical rough stuff, a necessity within the game.
Notice we have been losing and blaming the inconsistency of the roster? Losing him was detrimental and a great part of it. We need him healthy, desperately.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Why would you shut down a player who could be healthy? I dont understand that logic. We have no idea how severe his injury is.

For all we know he could be sore but ok to play tomorrow and they are holding him out another game or two to be sure.

Making a call to remove one of your top 4 defenseman down the stretch and getting him no games before the playoffs is a detriment to a player and team, not a help - if he can play, even at 90% or 80% he should be in there.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Why would you shut down a player who could be healthy? I dont understand that logic. We have no idea how severe his injury is.

For all we know he could be sore but ok to play tomorrow and they are holding him out another game or two to be sure.

Making a call to remove one of your top 4 defenseman down the stretch and getting him no games before the playoffs is a detriment to a player and team, not a help - if he can play, even at 90% or 80% he should be in there.
He wouldn't have to miss the whole season. It's 21 days or 10 games. We could have used that LTIR space to recall players and play with a full roster. Then we could have sent them down and activated him. A few extra games for him to rest isn't really a big deal.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
on or off LTIR, he should be shut down balance of season so he is max healed for POs
He wouldn't have to miss the whole season. It's 21 days or 10 games. We could have used that LTIR space to recall players and play with a full roster. Then we could have sent them down and activated him. A few extra games for him to rest isn't really a big deal.
I was responding to berns post.

How many games has he missed thus far? If they did that from the start of it, yeah - that wouldve made sense

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's not a conspiracy but the NHL is a poorly run league. The hard cap is a joke and the flat hard cap is even more so. All the other major sports have nothing of the sort and plenty of flexibility for teams to maneuver. The NHL is still struggling with covid issues and escrow payments when every other league has put that way behind them. The DOPS, officiating, and scheduling are an embarrassment. It's a league run and owned by knuckle draggers who need to be introduced to the 21st century.
THIS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad