Injury Report: Ryan Lindgren

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Like a month ago, folks were talking about moving on from Lindy to give Key the 8-year bag.

Miller is a 2nd pair guy, even if he has some highs and lows. I agree with you on Mikkola, but have to push back on the bolded. Miller is a "#4" already, and there's really no ceiling. He could top out as a Mikey Anderson with added offense, a left handed Trouba (who's hopefully cheaper and a bit more reliable), or an absolute freak of a unicorn. But he's definitely a top 4 D today.

Back to Lindgren though, we need to plan to keep him until his body can't keep up. In a year, f we can follow up this contract with an Anderson-like $4+ until he's 31/32 (just not the same 8 years), then Fox's entire prime will be completely covered with a perfect partner.

You can't get a Chychrun or Gavrikov unless you want to move on from Lindy, Miller, or whichever new guy after next season. Lindy's too important, Key has too much upside, so if neither Jones nor Robertson are in the plans for next year, then we will NEED someone for next season...but no further. We can't afford Chychrun or Gavrikov next year or beyond, so if Mikkola'a not looking for a 1-yr deal for similar money, then it's either a kid or we have to find someone for next season. I'm not giving up 55 or 79.

This season, as long as we don't completely forget how to play hockey when Lindy's out (again), we'll be just fine once he gets back. Creates a little cap flexibility, too. If you want to get freaky, then Mikkola could be a trade chip for even more cap flexibility and you can even try a kid out with Schneider for a couple weeks.
In an ideal world, Lindgren is not a top pairing D, but this team has not had a top LD in quite some time. Ideally it'd be a mobile PMD who's very stong on possession and can complement Fox (like a Toews type), but doesn't play to drive the offense...however we literally don't have any of those players. Using Miller in that role is a waste of his talents, which is why I'd rather not see him and Fox paired unless it's to try and tie a game late.

The thing to think about with Lindgren is that his shelf life is going to be limited. The guy is awesome, but he's taking a beating and that will catch up to him by age 30 if not sooner. I'm hesitant to commit to him long term, as good as he's been, for that reason. In a perfect world, he slots down to become your third pair LD as the miles on his body add up if you want to keep him around.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Doesn't seem like LTIR or any extended auditions for kids will end up being an option.

HFDocs got another one wrong? Shocker.

In fairness, this one looked pretty bad but this is why we don't make diagnoses/assumptions via tv screens.

I'm guessing that he has something similar to what Callahan had in 2013. He missed a few games, played through the rest of the season and then had surgery in the summer.

IIRC both he and Hagelin had the same thing.

Reactions: Crease

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

In fairness, this one looked pretty bad but this is why we don't make diagnoses/assumptions via tv screens.

I'm guessing that he has something similar to what Callahan had in 2013. He missed a few games, played through the rest of the season and then had surgery in the summer.

No mood to rush him back. If we were actually playing well we could LTIR him like TB or Vegas would but I don't think GG or even CD want that.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Jbo was also a dman growing up. Miller has physical skills that can't be taught. Imagine if he had a defensive system or a better tactical coach to develop him.

The best Miller has ever looked defensively was the few games the Rangers played Martin's defensive system. That lasted maybe a handful of games before they reverted to Quinn hockey but Miller was impressive in a more closed system.

Doesn't seem like LTIR or any extended auditions for kids will end up being an option.

They'll shoot Lindy full of shots for the rest of the season + playoffs is my guess. Why not use this LTIR opportunity?

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014

BROKEN COLLAR BONE THAT SHOT THROUGH HIS ARMPIT!

DONE FOR TILL 2029!!!

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

You can't stop me from making assumptions via my 380i resolution TV screen. It's muh FrEEdOm

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yep, we need to be able to pay for Kane without the cap that’s opened up by Lindgren’s LTIR. So the order of operations needs to be accrue cap for Kane, trade for Kane, then LTIR Lindgren and open up additional space for another piece.

It also requires Lindgren not play again for the rest of the regular season. Which, to be honest, is probably fine as long as he’s healthy for the playoffs.
Doesn't seem like Lindgren is hurt that badly so this is all for naught lol

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm OK with putting him on the 3rd pair.... for a bit... and trying KAM with Fox or something different.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No mood to rush him back. If we were actually playing well we could LTIR him like TB or Vegas would but I don't think GG or even CD want that.
CD doesn't for sure. We want to end the year with enough cap space to pay the bonuses.
People were way jumping the gun with LTIR. That's like, when you have surgery.
Players on LTIR have to miss 10 games and 24 days. Lots of guys go on LTIR without needing surgery.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
CD doesn't for sure. We want to end the year with enough cap space to pay the bonuses.

Players on LTIR have to miss 10 games and 24 days. Lots of guys go on LTIR without needing surgery.
Technically, yes, but an injury that requires you to miss 24 days is probably very serious and 24 days is going to be the minimum. That's why it's set at the minimum.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also keep in mind that comments from the Rangers on injuries mean absolutely nothing and we can't jump the gun on that either.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I plead w/people to learn. Do they? Ever??
We loved Girardi. He deserved our affection.
But he wore himself down.
We then overpaid him regardless of condition.
That cost us.
The smart move was to sell high on Lindy now [pre-injury] and max return
We don't do that b'c mgmt is lazy and wants to be popular instead of correct.
Now we are looking at Lindy here til next yr at least
Meanwhile, we continue to squander assets, particularly young assets
Tara for a 1st in a deep draft
Give away Krav for nothing when he should have been properly developed on day 1.
Hopefully Kane will force his way here for virtually free, but I am not holding my breath.

We held on to Buch too long.
When we dealt him, yes, he had his productive value recognized.
But return was greatly diminished b'c he had no term left, only rfa rights, b'c we had our cake and wanted to eat it too.

Last season also, dealing for help = sugar high, then knowing they would not be retained, = loss of assets.

Beyond stupid, drury
bs

Yeah, I loved Girardi. I wish we timed it where his contract would have expired at age 31 and then let him walk. Instead, we re-signed him to a 6-yr deal at 30. Yeah, beyond stupid. I'm talking about re-signing a 26 yr old to a 5 yr deal. That is all the difference in the world.

At 25 years old, we traded Buch too late? Should we just jettison every 24 y-o? That line of thinking is so far-sighted that it wraps around itself like an ouroboros and becomes short-sighted. That's perpetual re-build behavior.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Not sure about that. I watched almost every televised Panthers game from 2001 through 2010, and He grew substantially from age 19 through 23 (when he hit 40+ points the first time in his career). I doubt Miller will ever hit prime J-Bo; I'm just saying he's not even 19 year-old J-Bo.
J Bo first broke 40 points at age 23. Miller is on pace for 41 points and just turned 23.

J Bo scored the most points in his career (46) at age 23, and only surpassed 40 two more times.

Sure, there's a chance Miller merely flirts with 40 and never breaks it, but he already compares favorably at a similar age.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I take it back. After that spitting penalty, Miller doesn’t have zero defensive IQ. He has zero IQ. Period.

J Bo first broke 40 points at age 23. Miller is on pace for 41 points and just turned 23.

J Bo scored the most points in his career (46) at age 23, and only surpassed 40 two more times.

Sure, there's a chance Miller merely flirts with 40 and never breaks it, but he already compares favorably at a similar age.
But J-Bo was defensively sound throughout. He just had the misfortune of playing with Matthieu Biron and Branislav Mezei.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah, I loved Girardi. I wish we timed it where his contract would have expired at age 31 and then let him walk. Instead, we re-signed him to a 6-yr deal at 30. Yeah, beyond stupid. I'm talking about re-signing a 26 yr old to a 5 yr deal. That is all the difference in the world.

At 25 years old, we traded Buch too late? Should we just jettison every 24 y-o? That line of thinking is so far-sighted that it wraps around itself like an ouroboros and becomes short-sighted. That's perpetual re-build behavior.
thanks for usual constructive feedback.
not every player should prompt this level age concerns

but certain guys who obv give up the body like that, you have to err on the side of caution.
You don't have a choice.
In the old days, it just cost $$$.
But now w/hard cap it's a bigger negative than just $$$

------------
W/Buch the issue was not age.
The issue again was salary/cap control/etc v need to upgrade talent by selling high.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
BROKEN COLLAR BONE THAT SHOT THROUGH HIS ARMPIT!

DONE FOR TILL 2029!!!
This is the new groin concussion

We have to wait a bit and watch what Drury does because there could be cap implications.

We could watch the guy's head roll down the rink and Gallant would say he's day to day.
Maybe I’m giving them too much credit but they probably won’t LTIR Lindgren if they aren’t saving enough cap to acquire someone. They might not see a point

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
thanks for usual constructive feedback.
not every player should prompt this level age concerns

but certain guys who obv give up the body like that, you have to err on the side of caution.
You don't have a choice.
In the old days, it just cost $$$.
But now w/hard cap it's a bigger negative than just $$$

------------
W/Buch the issue was not age.
The issue again was salary/cap control/etc v need to upgrade talent by selling high.

Yes, some guys like Girardi or Lindgren have more concerns with being over 30 than other players due to their style of play. There was a hard cap with Girardi as well, so it's still apples to apples. I want Lindgren here until he's 30/31 and then walk away...unlike Danny G.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes, some guys like Girardi or Lindgren have more concerns with being over 30 than other players due to their style of play. There was a hard cap with Girardi as well, so it's still apples to apples. I want Lindgren here until he's 30/31 and then walk away...unlike Danny G.
If he continues to go all out, for which he is to be commended, he will not get to 30, possibly not anywhere near 30.
Remember all this damage he is taking is cumulative.
Hockey is a physical game and that is true for all players, obv, but worse for those who play with added physical intensity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad