Injury Report: Ryan Lindgren

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Like a month ago, folks were talking about moving on from Lindy to give Key the 8-year bag.

Miller is a 2nd pair guy, even if he has some highs and lows. I agree with you on Mikkola, but have to push back on the bolded. Miller is a "#4" already, and there's really no ceiling. He could top out as a Mikey Anderson with added offense, a left handed Trouba (who's hopefully cheaper and a bit more reliable), or an absolute freak of a unicorn. But he's definitely a top 4 D today.

Back to Lindgren though, we need to plan to keep him until his body can't keep up. In a year, f we can follow up this contract with an Anderson-like $4+ until he's 31/32 (just not the same 8 years), then Fox's entire prime will be completely covered with a perfect partner.

You can't get a Chychrun or Gavrikov unless you want to move on from Lindy, Miller, or whichever new guy after next season. Lindy's too important, Key has too much upside, so if neither Jones nor Robertson are in the plans for next year, then we will NEED someone for next season...but no further. We can't afford Chychrun or Gavrikov next year or beyond, so if Mikkola'a not looking for a 1-yr deal for similar money, then it's either a kid or we have to find someone for next season. I'm not giving up 55 or 79.

This season, as long as we don't completely forget how to play hockey when Lindy's out (again), we'll be just fine once he gets back. Creates a little cap flexibility, too. If you want to get freaky, then Mikkola could be a trade chip for even more cap flexibility and you can even try a kid out with Schneider for a couple weeks.
I was thinking of moving Miller (too frequently he's out of position; his speed and excellent skating save him, but he seems to lack defensive acumen / instincts), and then moving Goodrow in the offseason. Maybe get Trocheck to waive his NTC. Not sure if that's enough to get us under, but giving up (presumably) at least a first rounder for a rental when our Cup odds are slim (to be kind) seems a poor choice.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
This team without Lindy has always imploded. Not too excited about both Mikkola and Harpur playing and one of them being top 4.

He is the straw that stirs the drink. They have been pretty brutal without him, even when he's out for a period getting patched up, stitched up, re-soldered, and/or bolted back on.

Mikkola would be "okay," shifted up, but instead you could call up Jones or Robertson, and Harpur could stay 7D/13F. Miller with Fox, kid with Trouba, Mikkola stays with Schneider.

So you can still avoid playing both Mikkola and Harpur (just one, likely 77), and neither would be in the top 4.

Reactions: The Gloaming

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Holy reactionary post Batman.

Miller is not a top 4 D because of a rough couple weeks? Come on.
Excellent skater. Crap defensive instincts. J-Bo, who is my closest comp for Miller (and, in my book, a solid second-pairing defenseman for most of his career), was leaps and bounds ahead of Miller at 19 years old.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Do we have space to add a defenseman and Kane if we put Lindgren on LTIR?

The cap gymnastics are so mind numbing it’s hard to keep track of
yes but Lindgren would be back for the Playoffs... similar to Kucherov of a couple years ago

which I'm 100% ok with

Reactions: Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
yes but Lindgren would be back for the Playoffs... similar to Kucherov of a couple years ago

which I'm 100% ok with

Maybe they add Jack Johnson to the Kane deal. I know everyone hates him but he was hurt as a Ranger and did win a cup as a regular with the Avs last year

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Maybe they add Jack Johnson to the Kane deal. I know everyone hates him but he was hurt as a Ranger and did win a cup as a regular with the Avs last year
iu

Atax

Apr 7, 2011

which I'm 100% ok with
We've seen so many teams utilize the LTIR cap thing to better themselves for the playoffs. I hope we do too.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
yes, but we have to wait until after Kane is traded here.
Yep, we need to be able to pay for Kane without the cap that’s opened up by Lindgren’s LTIR. So the order of operations needs to be accrue cap for Kane, trade for Kane, then LTIR Lindgren and open up additional space for another piece.

It also requires Lindgren not play again for the rest of the regular season. Which, to be honest, is probably fine as long as he’s healthy for the playoffs.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Gavrikov or Chychrun please. Forget about Kane. Think beyond this season. Not that we’d hVe a shot without Lindgren anyway. Miller is not a top four defenseman. Far more comfortable with Mikkola in that role.
This except for the bold, disagree there
byw hello cb, hope all is well

Robertson should get an extended look. Cullye should be up on the fourth line with Goodrow and Motte.
Yes and Robbie should have gotten an extended look much earlier

Reactions: CasusBelli

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like a month ago, folks were talking about moving on from Lindy to give Key the 8-year bag.

Miller is a 2nd pair guy, even if he has some highs and lows. I agree with you on Mikkola, but have to push back on the bolded. Miller is a "#4" already, and there's really no ceiling. He could top out as a Mikey Anderson with added offense, a left handed Trouba (who's hopefully cheaper and a bit more reliable), or an absolute freak of a unicorn. But he's definitely a top 4 D today.

Back to Lindgren though, we need to plan to keep him until his body can't keep up. In a year, f we can follow up this contract with an Anderson-like $4+ until he's 31/32 (just not the same 8 years), then Fox's entire prime will be completely covered with a perfect partner.

You can't get a Chychrun or Gavrikov unless you want to move on from Lindy, Miller, or whichever new guy after next season. Lindy's too important, Key has too much upside, so if neither Jones nor Robertson are in the plans for next year, then we will NEED someone for next season...but no further. We can't afford Chychrun or Gavrikov next year or beyond, so if Mikkola'a not looking for a 1-yr deal for similar money, then it's either a kid or we have to find someone for next season. I'm not giving up 55 or 79.

This season, as long as we don't completely forget how to play hockey when Lindy's out (again), we'll be just fine once he gets back. Creates a little cap flexibility, too. If you want to get freaky, then Mikkola could be a trade chip for even more cap flexibility and you can even try a kid out with Schneider for a couple weeks.
I plead w/people to learn. Do they? Ever??
We loved Girardi. He deserved our affection.
But he wore himself down.
We then overpaid him regardless of condition.
That cost us.
The smart move was to sell high on Lindy now [pre-injury] and max return
We don't do that b'c mgmt is lazy and wants to be popular instead of correct.
Now we are looking at Lindy here til next yr at least
Meanwhile, we continue to squander assets, particularly young assets
Tara for a 1st in a deep draft
Give away Krav for nothing when he should have been properly developed on day 1.
Hopefully Kane will force his way here for virtually free, but I am not holding my breath.

We held on to Buch too long.
When we dealt him, yes, he had his productive value recognized.
But return was greatly diminished b'c he had no term left, only rfa rights, b'c we had our cake and wanted to eat it too.

Last season also, dealing for help = sugar high, then knowing they would not be retained, = loss of assets.

Beyond stupid, drury
bs

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Team should know some time today if not already. X-rays and MRI would be back for sure.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Excellent skater. Crap defensive instincts. J-Bo, who is my closest comp for Miller (and, in my book, a solid second-pairing defenseman for most of his career), was leaps and bounds ahead of Miller at 19 years old.
Breaking: Miller not on the same career trajectory as one of the most precocious dmen in Canadian hockey history.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Breaking: Miller not on the same career trajectory as one of the most precocious dmen in Canadian hockey history.
Not sure about that. I watched almost every televised Panthers game from 2001 through 2010, and He grew substantially from age 19 through 23 (when he hit 40+ points the first time in his career). I doubt Miller will ever hit prime J-Bo; I'm just saying he's not even 19 year-old J-Bo.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Gavrikov or Chychrun please. Forget about Kane. Think beyond this season. Not that we’d hVe a shot without Lindgren anyway. Miller is not a top four defenseman. Far more comfortable with Mikkola in that role.

Trouba and Mikkola sounds worse than with Miller.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Trouba and Mikkola sounds worse than with Miller.
Apologies: I meant Mikkola with Fox until we get a Lindgren replacement. Keep Miller with Trouba. But, once healthy, I think I'd like to see Chychrun / Gavrikov on 1LD, Lindgren on 2LD and Mikkola on 3LD with Miller as a forward. There's no denying his skating prowess and offensive instincts. I just think we're limiting his potential by forcing him to be a defenseman.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

It doesn't matter who your comp is. Unless you're getting major assets back, it would be idiocy to deal him, now.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Not sure about that. I watched almost every televised Panthers game from 2001 through 2010, and He grew substantially from age 19 through 23 (when he hit 40+ points the first time in his career). I doubt Miller will ever hit prime J-Bo; I'm just saying he's not even 19 year-old J-Bo.
He played in the WJC at 16. Him and Spezza were dudes.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Jbo was also a dman growing up. Miller has physical skills that can't be taught. Imagine if he had a defensive system or a better tactical coach to develop him.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1