Player Discussion Ryan Lindgren

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
As soon as I saw this thread at the top, i knew someone had only come here to complain. Hilarious that this is the guy getting called out.
okay mr. fortune teller

he has been our 2nd worst defenseman this year and it was especially pronounced without Fox.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
As soon as I saw this thread at the top, i knew someone had only come here to complain. Hilarious that this is the guy getting called out.
just look at the teams record with and without him and it's not that small of a sample size either. Winning hockey player.

Reactions: Kocur Dill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
just look at the teams record with and without him and it's not that small of a sample size either. Winning hockey player.

I mean I think alot of that has to do with the quality of player who goes into the lineup replacing him. I'd imagine that the record would be similar (or worse) if any of the top 4 went out.

He's been bad this year. Theres plenty of time for him to turn it around.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I mean I think alot of that has to do with the quality of player who goes into the lineup replacing him. I'd imagine that the record would be similar (or worse) if any of the top 4 went out.

He's been bad this year. Theres plenty of time for him to turn it around.
He does a lot of little things that don't get noticed. He's never gonna be an elite 1LD guy but he can play top 4 d on my team any time. Especially since our best player probably agrees and plays his best overall game with him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He does a lot of little things that don't get noticed. He's never gonna be an elite 1LD guy but he can play top 4 d on my team any time. Especially since our best player probably agrees and plays his best overall game with him.

I'm not saying that he isn't a top 4 D, just that he's been noticeably bad this year and that he needs to be better. He has time to turn it around, the season has barely started.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not saying that he isn't a top 4 D, just that he's been noticeably bad this year and that he needs to be better. He has time to turn it around, the season has barely started.

Almost 2 months later and he’s gotten worse.

He’s a real problem and needs to be upgraded. He’s the worst LD on the team and the team isn’t really constructed to stash him on the 2nd or 3rd pair. He’s not a Girardi/Staal level yet but definitely headed in that direction.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Almost 2 months later and he’s gotten worse.

He’s a real problem and needs to be upgraded. He’s the worst LD on the team and the team isn’t really constructed to stash him on the 2nd or 3rd pair. He’s not a Girardi/Staal level yet but definitely headed in that direction.

If they Rangers extend him he will be (unfairly) hated on par with Staal and G. The Lindgren Hive doesnt want to hear this unfortunately.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
man he's tough to watch these days. think he lost every 1 on 1 battle he engaged in last night. his ability to physically engage is diminished too, he just bounces off any attacker no matter the size. idk what's going on.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
man he's tough to watch these days. think he lost every 1 on 1 battle he engaged in last night. his ability to physically engage is diminished too, he just bounces off any attacker no matter the size. idk what's going on.

If he's not injured, he's out of shape. I think it's highly likely the hits and blocked shots have taken their toll. The other problem is he is not playing the stay at home game that got him into the league. Too much pinching and skating into the corners with the puck and losing it.

Does the Pizza Man think he can LTIR Lindgren at the deadline? A month off could probably really help him and the teams cap situation.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
The wear and tear and physical abuse his body has taken over the years has caught up.The guy is a shell of what he once was.you can see it by his reaction speed and awareness...he's getting destroyed every game with big hits.throw in how bad he is at pinching and handling the puck,and its kind of sad to see.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
If he's not injured, he's out of shape. I think it's highly likely the hits and blocked shots have taken their toll. The other problem is he is not playing the stay at home game that got him into the league. Too much pinching and skating into the corners with the puck and losing it.

Does the Pizza Man think he can LTIR Lindgren at the deadline? A month off could probably really help him and the teams cap situation.
Got a feeling it's a scheme thing with the pinching. After he scored that one goal where he banked it in off a defender a few weeks ago, in Lavi's talk afterwards, someone asked him about that goal. He made a specific point that the coaches wanted the Dmen to get to that exact spot on the boards because it pulls the goalie to the post and allows for the possible deflection. It's possible that Lindgren is having a hard time adjusting to the new scheme or that he doesn't fit the new way of doing things. He's not exactly Phil Housley like.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
he needs to be scratched and rested (if Trouba isn't out), Jones was starting to look pretty good when he finally got a good stretch of games in a row.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
he needs to be scratched and rested (if Trouba isn't out), Jones was starting to look pretty good when he finally got a good stretch of games in a row.
God no. Our lack of depth is why we are stuck with Lindgren. You can't replace your top PK guy with Zac freaking Jones no matter how much Lindgren sucks at offense.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Got a feeling it's a scheme thing with the pinching. After he scored that one goal where he banked it in off a defender a few weeks ago, in Lavi's talk afterwards, someone asked him about that goal. He made a specific point that the coaches wanted the Dmen to get to that exact spot on the boards because it pulls the goalie to the post and allows for the possible deflection. It's possible that Lindgren is having a hard time adjusting to the new scheme or that he doesn't fit the new way of doing things. He's not exactly Phil Housley like.

He’s always sucked at pinching.

The problem with Lindgren is the offense continues to be bad (and it’s gotten worse)while the defense has also regressed.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
God no. Our lack of depth is why we are stuck with Lindgren. You can't replace your top PK guy with Zac freaking Jones no matter how much Lindgren sucks at offense.

i never said we should replace Fox with Zac Jones on the PK

if this guy doesnt get a rest he's going to be useless in the playoffs

Reactions: maris

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
like, we f***ing went what, 7-3 without Adam Fox? we would be absolutely fine if we gave Lindgren 2 weeks off or something. he's playing like shit anyway. the PK was fine with Schneider in place of Fox for 10 games, there's no reason it wouldn't also be fine with Schneider instead of Lindgren. we're already in 1st place by a lot, these games aren't even that important.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
He’s always sucked at pinching.

The problem with Lindgren is the offense continues to be bad (and it’s gotten worse)while the defense has also regressed.
He's not a pinching defenseman. That's my point. But he's doing it more this year. Why? Probably because that's what the coaches want the Dmen to do. He may not fit what the coaches are trying to do. Seen a whole lot of the wing and Dman doing that switch at the blue line. Works with a few of our guys. But when it happens with Lindgren, it looks awkward. And it could be messing up the rest of his game. Square peg in a round hole

Reactions: maris

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's not a pinching defenseman. That's my point. But he's doing it more this year. Why? Probably because that's what the coaches want the Dmen to do. He may not fit what the coaches are trying to do. Seen a whole lot of the wing and Dman doing that switch at the blue line. Works with a few of our guys. But when it happens with Lindgren, it looks awkward. And it could be messing up the rest of his game. Square peg in a round hole

He's never been good at it and I don't think its been happening any more often than it ever has. Its just compounded with him not being good at the things he used to be good at.

But lets say he doesn't fit what the coaches want to do (as you said) then wouldn't it make sense to replace him with a more capable body ASAP? That would be both of our other regular LHD or someone from outside of the organization. I don't know why you keep going to Zac Jones, he isn't the only option, especially if the FO nuts up and is willing to part with Lindgren before the season is out.

Anyway his biggest regression has come in his own end. @Raspewtin nailed it, he's been getting killed in 1v1 battles in his own end - Nothing that happens above the DZ really has any impact on this outside of the frequency in which it has a chance to occur, but he shouldn't be losing the battles as often as he has been. I'm not sure what is going on with him there, but I don't like it and if they keep running him out there with this usage its going to bite them.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
He's never been good at it and I don't think its been happening any more often than it ever has. Its just compounded with him not being good at the things he used to be good at.

But lets say he doesn't fit what the coaches want to do (as you said) then wouldn't it make sense to replace him with a more capable body ASAP? That would be both of our other regular LHD or someone from outside of the organization. I don't know why you keep going to Zac Jones, he isn't the only option, especially if the FO nuts up and is willing to part with Lindgren before the season is out.

Anyway his biggest regression has come in his own end. @Raspewtin nailed it, he's been getting killed in 1v1 battles in his own end - Nothing that happens above the DZ really has any impact on this outside of the frequency in which it has a chance to occur, but he shouldn't be losing the battles as often as he has been. I'm not sure what is going on with him there, but I don't like it and if they keep running him out there with this usage its going to bite them.
Which other teams have nutted up in recent years in season?

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
There's some good stuff in the last few pages of this thread IMO. The usage rate for a positional player like Lindgren is a big deal. The pairing has to be right (someone who is comfortable 100% being deferred to like Fox or Gus), and better when forwards can support on a back check.

All of that describes a pretty limited player, but LIndgren over the course of a whole season won't make many mental errors and will be in the right spot on a high % (watch how many times he's the lone party on a 2X1 or back correctly on a 3X2). There's value there.

I'm at least glad the whole "Rangers fall apart without Ryan" nonsense is starting to fade. BUt he's a decent player and perfect to be a strong support in the playoffs if they can get their playing time with him monitored.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017

I keep going to Zac Jones because right now, he's the only option. They don't think Robertson is ready or else we would have seen him already. I just don't think it's realistic to think we are making a significant trade in season to shake up the top 6 D. First, because there's probably not a trade to be made with the cap, etc. But also because we might have other priorities such as a center with Fil being out. However, the most important reason why they won't upgrade Lindgren is because they don't think it's necessary. It's the same as Bonino. They want him on the team for the few things he does well and will live with the other stuff. It's my guess that we trade for a 7th Dman to replace Jones.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
he'd be fine as our 3LD.

I'm assuming he will not get paid or used like that. That hinders the team.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Yo I figured it out. You guys are just conflating Lindy and Gus like Sam does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad